Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM

43 posts, read 195,862 times

Advertisements

We are still going to relocate to the Ventura area and really deciding between Camarillo, Ventura, and Channel Islands area. The real estate officer we spoke to let us know the only down side to Camarillo is there will be a prison going in this city. She didn't say when, but said residents of course are trying to fight it from going it. Can someone tell me if this is true and when and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Prison healthcare facility OK'd : Camarillo Prison : Ventura County Star

Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
Well the California Youth Authority has been at that location for decades and it hasn't seemed to hurt the city, economy, housing market yet. If you were to see the geography of Camarillo you would see that the facility is not visible to the majority of people in the area due to the many hills that surround Camarillo. The fact is that many people in the city have never seen the location. It is just not part of the landscape. It is not too far from the west side of Camarillo Estates. If you are thinking of that part of the city you may end up driving by on your way to Oxnard or Ventura. We are talking a small amount of people that would be affected in that area by the proposed facility expansion. Another thing to think about is that the state may not be able to pull this off anyway because of lack of funding. California is hurting now.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:51 PM

54 posts, read 266,953 times
Channel Islands area is nice, but is in the not so nice/ghetto like Oxnard area. Camarillo is a lot safer and there's a lot of money there. I've lived in both. I don't know about Ventura. Look at the crime index on city data to compare them.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 AM

35 posts, read 229,929 times
With the State's budget mess, the latest news is that the new prison will most likely never happen in Camarillo, and if it does, it's a long way off.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,448,082 times
I wouldn't write-off the prison yet. As a healthcare facility, it might be eligible for stimulus funding.

Though prison siting seems to raise a lot of NIMBY issues (Not-In-My-BackYard!), most prisons are quite discretely sited and attractively landscaped, so don't worry about any looming Stalag 14 structures on the horizon. I used to ride my bike right past the Pelican Bay facility in Fort Dick on the north coast without even knowing it was tucked in there behind the trees. Crime rates also seem to be lower in the immediate vicinity of a prison. Prisons also tend to provide for a lot of local jobs. Believe me, it's not the worst thing that can befall a community.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 PM

24 posts, read 51,994 times
Exclamation Here is where it is

Its kindof off into the toolies...
Attached Thumbnails
Camarillo and a prison, please tell me about it-prison-site.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County