Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM

61 posts, read 174,198 times

Advertisements

Considering a job offer in Goleta. The price of apartments in the Santa Barbara area are crazy high considering what you get for your money. I would rather have a longer commute and get a nicer place for less money than to live right in the Santa Barbara area. Is Ventura too far of a commute to consider living there? As long as traffic moves at a steady pace and is not stop-and-go, I don't mind a long commute. Is there any public transportation that runs between these two cities that could be used for commuting instead of driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Lots of people make that commute every day. Vista Bus service also takes people between Ventura and Oxnard on their way to Santa Barbara and Goleta. Vista also offers a wi fi on many of their buses which is convenient for posting here on City Data Forum.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCalME View Post
Considering a job offer in Goleta. The price of apartments in the Santa Barbara area are crazy high considering what you get for your money. I would rather have a longer commute and get a nicer place for less money than to live right in the Santa Barbara area. Is Ventura too far of a commute to consider living there? As long as traffic moves at a steady pace and is not stop-and-go, I don't mind a long commute. Is there any public transportation that runs between these two cities that could be used for commuting instead of driving?
That's a hard one...It's not too bad, many people do it. Have you considered living near Old Town Goleta? There are some pockets of Santa Barbara which are comparable in price to Ventura. Not too desirable, but then again this is for Santa Barbara/Ventura levels. North Goleta has some deals.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
If you're willing to commute that far, you might think about looking in the other direction to places like Solvang or Buellton or even Santa Maria. The distance wouldn't be any farther and you'd avoid any urban areas on your commute. Solvang is a neat little town.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
You'll be joining around 15,000 other people every morning and afternoon. Highly recommend using the VISTA Coastal Express:

Coastal Express Northbound | VCTC (http://www.goventura.org/?q=get-there-by-bus/local-bus-services/vista/coastal_n - broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 38,392 times
we are looking as well in the Santa Barbara area and have wondered about Solvang and Buellton. Are they nice areas? Is the road down to Goleta an easy drive or is it a mountain nightmare? We are considering moving from Colorado(Boulder/Denver area) and were starting to look at Ojai area as an alternative to SB area.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamo1962 View Post
we are looking as well in the Santa Barbara area and have wondered about Solvang and Buellton. Are they nice areas? Is the road down to Goleta an easy drive or is it a mountain nightmare? We are considering moving from Colorado(Boulder/Denver area) and were starting to look at Ojai area as an alternative to SB area.

There's about a 4 or 5 mile downgrade between Solvang and the coastal area around Goleta, but it's nothing to worry about. It's probably not over a 5% grade and four lane all the way. You won't even have to slow down or worry about snow. I guess it probably does snow up there sometimes, but I've never seen it or heard of it. In truth, for years that was my alternate route to the Bay on the rare occassions when they closed the Grapevine because of snow and I never got turned back or stopped.

I always thought Solvang was a neat little place, though admittedly I never spent any appreciable amount of time there and haven't been back in 5 or 6 years. My IMPRESSION was that it was a small town of "artistes" and eco-friendly hippie-types, but I could be totally wrong. Hopefully, someone more familiar with it will come along and correct any mis-impressions I've got. I think it was the mailing address for Micheal Jacksons' Neverland ranch, so that oughta tell you something.

As for Buellton? All I can say about it that is the 101 runs past it.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamo1962 View Post
Ojai to Goleta is a bit of an unfriendly commute. You could drive to Ventura and use the VISTA Coastal Express commuter from there (see earlier post for link), or drive in heavy traffic north on 101. The other option from Ojai is over Casitas Pass, a windy, two-lane road between Ojai and Carpinteria.

Commuting from north SB County to its south coast is something around 10,000 people do every day. It can be a haul. Santa Maria to Santa Barbara is 75 miles one way. Your options are three-and-a-half:

1. The 101 -- four lane-divided highway or freeway.

2. Highway 154 over San Marcos Pass between Buelton and SB, two-lane mountainous road with occasional passing lanes that's windy and somewhat steep on the SB side. Hwy 154 is famous for head-on crashes.

3. Use the Clean Air Express commuter Thank you for visiting the Clean Air Express website (see also Traffic Solutions - Transit).

3.5 - From Lompoc you can commute to Goleta and SB on one somewhat early Amtrak schedule.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County