U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 10,927,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bznavyveteran View Post
You need to dig a little deeper to put the Avenue in proper context. Cattle, oil, and agriculture were the industries that this place was built upon. From the 1840’s into the 1870s all of Ventura County was cattle ranches with some agriculture coming in number 2. Then drought killed off the cattle and the ranches were split up. Farming crops and citrus became big business and never left. Oil was discovered and developed and was very big for a while. Ships have been calling on the port of San Buenaventura since the 1840’s. Those two trees (used to be five) served as a beacon for ships to steer by. They would drop anchor in Pierpont Bay so ranchers could row out in boats to barter cow hides for goods. Ventura had longshoremen, sailors, China town, saloons, cowboys, oil fields, and farmers. I cannot imagine not having several fights downtown every Saturday night.

In more modern times, we have had an Air Force base at the Camarillo airport, a Navy Seabee base at Port Hueneme, the Navy Civil Engineering Laboratory at Pt Hue, and a Naval Air Station at Point Mugu. Pt Mugu serves as the HQ of the Pacific Missile Range which covers hundreds of square miles of the Pacific Ocean. The CA Air National Guard has recently established a base at Pt Mugu. The Naval Surface Warfare (a weapons engineering station) is located on the Sea Bee base. Those bases (and the technical contracting companies that work for them) provide a lot of high paying jobs with steady work.

So, you never know who your neighbors are going to be or deep their roots (family) are in the community. There are a lot of good hard working people who live on the Avenue. The Avenue had the first Community Council formed in the city (West Side CC). These are concerned citizens who meet with city officials and strive to keep their neighborhood a safe place to live and raise families.

I have lived in South Oxnard, North Oxnard, behind Ventura college, and out on the east end of Ventura. I am a retired Navy sailor, also retired from NSWC, and was a part of the East Ventura Community Council. Oh, I was a docent at the Olivas Adobe, an 1841 Spanish ranch house (could you tell?) for 9 years.
Very nice account! More history welcomed! What are your projections for the future of the Avenue in terms of a place to live and have a sense of community? I know people who have lived there for years and like it most of the time. They like it enough to not move, anyway. Very quaint, 1910s homes, redone (or not). None of my friends there have kids, however.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear of efforts to again connect the west-end community with the Ventura River. I saw a presentation about a year ago, with pictures of what the area looked like before Highway 33 plowed it's way through and effectively made an impenetrable barrier between the people and their river. People were fishing in a flowing river, diving off boulders into pools of water, kids playing in a beautiful wild setting. The plan that's underway now, as I understand it, is to build several pedestrian crossings over the 33 with organized trail systems in the river ecosystem for hiking and interpreted walks. Eventually, the plan is to see if the river can again support steelhead after the Matilija dam is removed. Re-connecting Ventura with its river in a constructive way like this would substantially add to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:47 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,210,226 times
that would be cool. Well I went to look at a place over there and I have to say it's pulling at me, I really liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County