Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:55 AM

18 posts, read 79,668 times

Advertisements

Looking at an opportunity in Burbank and was targeting Moorpark as a potential place to live. Like the idea of the metrolink to Burbank verses driving.
How is Moorpark as a place to raise a family?
How are the property taxes -- what should I expect for a $800k home?
Are there any local income taxes I should know about?

Any advice and insights are GREATLY appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 09:11 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
Hi,
I was just going to say your commute will be rough but then I read that you will be taking the metro link. That will help you.
For me, I prefer the Thousand Oaks/ Conejo Valley/ Agoura Hills area better. But I do know housing is a little cheaper in Moorpark then those other areas I mentioned. I never heard anything bad about Moorpark. It has tremendously grown over the years. I never lived there but I moved to Thousand Oaks in 1976 and lived in the area for almost 30 years. Moorpark, back then, was nothing and I mean nothing. Not anymore. I haven't been there since about 2000 or so but it is a safe area, a lot of new homes (some larger then others). I used to know people living there who had horses, so I know there are also homes with some land. Very family oriented.
If you go on realtor.com. you can look up what $800,000 will get you.
Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2007, 09:34 AM

18 posts, read 79,668 times
Thanks.

Yes, I saw the metrolink line takes about 50 minutes, which may be ok as I would rather check emails, etc on a train than be behind the wheel. In fact I would rather have a longer train ride than trying to live closer to Burbank and say be driving for 30 minutes --- I think 50 minutes on a train would be more productive.

Thinking Moorpark instead of Thousand Oaks due to the metrolink being in Moorpark. I would not want to have any kind of drive before getting on the train.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I lived in Moorpark from 1988-1997 then in Thousand Oaks from 1997-2006. Quick little history: Moorpark is like a little brother to Simi. Simi started booming in the 1970s when people moved there from the LAUSD San Fernando Valley when kids from the valley had to get bussed to central LA. Their parents could keep their jobs because Simi was just a half hour away from the west valley. Simi sort of got the "white flight" reputation. Lots of LAPD live in Simi. Moorpark and Simi are similiar demographically. The homes in Moorpark near the newer high school are pretty nice. So are some of the homes near Moorpark college (excellent community college). Moorpark weather is excellent: Cooler than the valley.

Back to your question. Not a bad drive on the 118 to the 5 if you leave before 6AM. Same for coming home if before around 3-330 PM. If you have to work 8-5 then you are screwed. The metrolink is great. It stops a quarter mile from Burbank airport (excellent alternative to LAX) too. Taxes are going to be close to $10,000/year. Moorpark High School is very good. The one bad thing about Conejo Valley/Moorpark/Camarillo is that most likely you will have to drive into LA or the SF Valley for work. The morning drive from Moorpark to Thousand Oaks is horrible even though it is only about six or eight miles. They are now building a third lane in each direction on the 23 but that won't help too much.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
I heard about a third lane being added for years on the 23 freeway. So they are finally doing that? Good.
When I met my husband he lived and worked in Thousand Oaks, well, actually Newbury Park at Amgen. So not everyone has long commutes.
For taking the metro, your choice in moving to Moorpark is correct.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Yes, There are quite a few jobs up and down the 101 corridor in the Conejo Valley. Amgen, Countrywide, Farmers (or State Farm I forgot), Teradyne. They are building several huge hotels in the area too. Northrop isn't there anymore. A person would be lucky to work in the corridor for life. Northrop Grumman (the old Litton) isn't too far away in Woodland Hills - even Rocketdyne isn't a bad drive to central Canoga Park. I guess it depends on the person's occupation. Biotech? Sales? Engineering? Finance?

Bottom Line: Moorpark is a nice place to live. You pay for it though. Driving from there can be bad if you can't "beat" the traffic by leaving early.

It is mind numbing that someone will pay $10,000/year in taxes on an $800K home which I'd bet isn't more than 2500 sqft in size, on an 8000 sqft lot, no basement. Even worse, his next door neighbor paid $250K for that house ten years ago and his taxes are less than $3000/year. Different topic....

Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 30,017 times
Moorpark is an absolutely wonderful place to raise a family. The city does a fantastic job at maintaining the many local parks and offers a variety of recreational activities throughout the year. You will be pleased to see the type of home you can get for $800k. I woudl recommend buying "up on the hill" as the locals say; that is, the neighborhoods on the south end of the city in the Tierra Rejada stretch.

I've lived in Ventura County for 32 years and can honestly say that I prefer Moorpark. Moorpark is relatively small (35,000 people) and its location is ideal as you are minutes away from the SF Valley, the Conejo Valley, and beaches. The weather is great, especially "up on the hill" because you experience the ocean breeze that blows through the Santa Rosa Valley of Camarillo.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
Getting a job in Burbank and targeting Moorpark to live? What about South Pasadena, or upper Glendale, or La Canada, or Sierra Madre? All are much closer.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:18 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Moorpark is nice (all of Ventura County is nice for the most part) but there are also nice places in and around Burbank. I guess it really depends on how much time you want to spend commuting.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times
I live in Thousand Oaks and have for 30 plus years. Yes, the entire area has really grown! Moorpark is similar, with new homes being built all the time. The area near the college has exploded & I think they are building a ton more up there.

Yes, they are FINALLY adding the third lane to the 23, but only going from the 101 to New LA Ave, so its going to bunch up as it goes down to 2 lanes over the bridge. Luckily I dont have to drive that route.. I dont know how much this extra lane is going to help, but it sure cant hurt.

As far as the metrolink out of Moorpark, I have a friend who rides that train daily. She lives in the north part of TO and it only takes her about 10 minutes to get to the train. The traffic is going the opposite way on the 23. Anyhow, she loves the train. She takes it to Universal City. She swears by it.

Living in Moorpark? My husbands cousins (2 separate families with young children) live in the Tierra Rejada portion of Moorpark and love it. Their neighborhoods are nice. One lives in Mountain Meadows, very close to the high school. Her area is really nice. They have shopping nearby, and parks, and the schools. The other family lives closer to the Peach Hill area, although the houses are smaller, its still very nice. For $800k, I am sure you could find something nice. The prices have been going down a bit. Lots and lots of families. I think it would be a great place to raise a family.

Moorpark High School wins the Academic Decathalon quite a bit, and the school has a great reputation.

Good luck, wherever you choose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County