Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 AM

104 posts, read 688,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf View Post
Another one of our few choices to transfer. I have 2 young kids who are homeschooled so we don't care about schools, just somewhere that is affordable and safe to live, within 30 minutes of here. Does that exist?
What does 'affordable' mean to you? If you can mortgage 300-400k+ and not be strapped; then you would find Oxnard/Vta Co affordable.

The majority of posters are correct about the crime in Oxnard. And also right on target about the so-called condos that are nothing but older apartments in very poor condition.

Travel to Vta County and check it out for yourself. Allow sufficient time to visit many areas. It is more than obvious which areas are "nicer". However, living in a "nicer" part of town does not guarantee that your home won't be ransacked. But at least getting out of the "line of fire" would be nice.

Just stay away from Colonia!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Default bo-ring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerGrass View Post
Just doing comparisons in my own hunt, I've lived in neighboring Camarillo and Ventura a total of 17 years. In all seriousness, I absolutely can't fathom how City-Data legitimately figures Oxnard to have a crime rate anywhere below the national average...

Oxnard not only has a shooting gallery across from a strip club, but is a shooting gallery in its own right. I don't need newspapers to know that - just to hear it from the folks who've lived there. ... Recently, I got to work there, as our company had just moved to an industrial park area. They always kept the front door locked with nothing but a lawn and parking lot across the street. In my nine months there, we had one a.m. car burglary, one night where I had to call the cops on a drunkard in the bushes, and another where I perhaps helped a crack girl from being assaulted or worse in our own lot.

Unfortunately, with all the ag fields and Latino city population, Oxnard in particular a natural magnet for illegals living 20+ to an apartment.
Enough quoted for one post. This kind of generalizing about Oxnard and its residents is a tad old fashioned, quite typical for people who don't live in the city, and frankly -- BORING. Oxnard is a big city with some bad and some very good.

The reason C-D can state Oxnard's crime as lower than the national average is because it's true. Oxnard had a murder spike in 2002, but that has come down drastically. The city of 200,000 hasn't had a murder in (10?) months. Property crimes are no worse in Oxnard than Ventura, and for gang problems, better turn the focus to Santa Barbara. That's where it's happening these days.

I've never lived in Camarillo, but from what I see, it's a place only a golf cart could love. Give me Oxnard or Ventura, any day. To be continued, I suspect.

PS. The reason migrant workers live in Oxnard is because it's the ONLY city in all of Ventura County with a social conscience big enough to think of them. While Camarillo, TO, Simi and even Ventura bask in the delight of SOAR and protected open space, not one of these cities has stepped up to provide housing for the field workers who maintain the open spaces. Oxnard is carrying this responsibility for the whole county.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 07-31-2007 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 10-31-2007, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,179 times
I see a lot of posts about purchasing, what is the rental market like? I am a nurse who will be relocating from Denver (with a few stops in between due to travel assignments). I grew up in Carson in the 70s, very mixed area and I liked that about it. LA just tooooo busy now to live therefor very long. I like the sound of Oxnard, loved the drive thru last time I went up the coast from LA to SF. Does anyone know of a good agency to use for house/duplex/quiet apt rentals? Thanks.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisK1955 View Post
I see a lot of posts about purchasing, what is the rental market like? I am a nurse who will be relocating from Denver (with a few stops in between due to travel assignments). I grew up in Carson in the 70s, very mixed area and I liked that about it. LA just tooooo busy now to live therefor very long. I like the sound of Oxnard, loved the drive thru last time I went up the coast from LA to SF. Does anyone know of a good agency to use for house/duplex/quiet apt rentals? Thanks.
What about

Ventura Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Ventura CA, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Ventura, California

Old 01-19-2008, 06:32 PM

40 posts, read 200,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeIsGood View Post
I was interested in buying a condo near H st and Gonzales.
DON'T DO IT!
These are older, run down and in a bad neighborhood!
People were buying like crazy a couple years ago, these were "cheap," people bought in, but they did not appreciate and are losing money now.

If you're looking for a condo, I'd look around Gonzales and Ventura Rd (Oxnard), by St. John's hospital (Gonzales and Rose) or somewhere in Port Hueneme.

i recently went back here this past spemtember and its not all run down actually it did not change at all when i left in 1989 plus i was staying in a run down hotel within walking distance from skid row in downtown la while i was out there.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:12 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,168 times
GreenerGrass,

Two very informative post, assuming you are right on target, which I have no reason to doubt.

Would you have any ideas on the cost of renting in a safe area of Ventura. Would be interested to know about houses or apartments, 3 bed/2+ ba.

Thanks,

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines

Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 AM

123 posts, read 487,992 times
I just moved back from Ventura Ca from out of state. I paid 1125 a month for a 1 bedroom. I have friends who live in Oxnard and though some places seemed ok I felt Ventura was safer and newer for me. I will say when I looked around though parts of Ventura gave me not a great feeling. I lived off Telegraph Road and Vicotria in Ventura. I really felt safe and comfortable.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Southern California: Oxnard wonders if there's another name for it - latimes.com

Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Some Oxnard history:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...609C946096D6CF

Patterson Ranch Company signed by Robert Oxnard - Oxnard, California 1916

Henry T. Oxnard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County