Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 AM

12 posts, read 35,327 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Thousand Oaks, somewhere in the Conejo Valley this coming March. We are considering buying something in either western Simi, TO, Newbury Park, or Westlake Village. I heard that schools are maybe year-round in California is that true? Our son will be 5 this fall and here in NY he would be entering kindergarden public school in Sept. Is that the same there?

What is the kindergarten schedule there, is it 5 days/week and how long are the days?

Also, if we move in March will we be able to get him into a Tee-Ball league or will it be too late??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Go to the different schools systems' websites and download the calendars.

Conejo Unified School District
Simi School District
Las Virgenes School District
Oak Park School District
Moorpark School District

Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
that area of LA probably has the highest concentration of high scoring schools in the entire region, so i think you'd be safe placing your son in any of the schools.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrc800 View Post
We are moving to Thousand Oaks, somewhere in the Conejo Valley this coming March. We are considering buying something in either western Simi, TO, Newbury Park, or Westlake Village. I heard that schools are maybe year-round in California is that true? Our son will be 5 this fall and here in NY he would be entering kindergarden public school in Sept. Is that the same there?

What is the kindergarten schedule there, is it 5 days/week and how long are the days?

Also, if we move in March will we be able to get him into a Tee-Ball league or will it be too late??

Thanks!
Kindergarten in general is usually until 11:30 everyday. My son went to Red Oak Elementary for Kindergarten and it was wonderful! Brookside Elementary is really good too. There is no year round school that I know of in the Conejo Valley at least in the Westlake, Oak Park area. Couldn't tell you about tee ball. Soccer starts in August though and is extremely popular. School usually starts either the last week of August or after Labor Day.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Go to the different schools systems' websites and download the calendars.

Conejo Unified School District
Simi School District
Las Virgenes School District
Oak Park School District
Moorpark School District
I agree. They are all very good districts. Most students are from middle class-wealthy white and Asian families. Simi though (I got offered a job with that district awhile back) is much more multicultural imo having all different backgrounds in a classroom as well as kids from poor-to wealthy family. I think Simi is really nice because kids are exposed to all different kinds of kids and is much of a mixture than the others.

Las Virgenes has a snobbish reputation with extremely demanding parents (I friends in the district). It is very upper crust which is a turn off, but they are nice schools.

Pretty much all the districts there are good though imo to be a student.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,679 times
TO and WV are slam dunks (on your list) if you have the resources. Can't go wrong with the schools.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrc800 View Post
I had my kids in the Conejo Parks and Rec leagues then they played AYSO Region 9 Soccer at the Conejo Creek Parks.

Go to the schedules/Calendars of these websites:

Conejo Recreation & Park District

AYSO Region 9 Conejo Valley

Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 11,838 times
Newbury Park is simply thee best.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliEarthGirl View Post
Newbury Park is simply thee best.
Not rated as highly as Oak Park and Westlake though.

I also recall some gang activity from Newbury Park?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 PM

NPHS is a Greatschools 10 out of 10. It and most of the schools in the Conejo USD are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County