Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky View Post
My husband is considering a job offer in Calabasas.

we do own 3 homes here in Tulsa 2 of which we rent out and one that we live in.
Interesting, despite the high unemployment in CA, a company would recruit someone from out of state.

I wonder how often that has been happening lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 PM

30 posts, read 93,726 times
Thank you all for the ideas. I really do appreciate it. I must say we have been spoiled with the cost of living in Tulsa these past couple years. Looking at California real estate again is definitely a paradigm shift! I see some potential in newbury park and some of the other areas mentionned.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 PM

30 posts, read 93,726 times
actually we are crunching the numbers and look like if this works out (still in negotiations) we might simply rent something close in to calabasas, I see plenty of houses for rent in the low $2000's a month in the calabasas immediate area, and then hubby wouldn't have to drive far, and keep our houses in the tulsa area as rentals. We get a nice passive income on those rentals and some good tax deductions.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 6,456 times
Default may be moving to that area too-need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky View Post
What is your budget? house in the $300-$400K's
Buying or renting? buying
Ages of kids? 7 and 3 they currently go to a montessori private school (well, 7 year old does, and 3 year old will)and i haven't checked yet if there are any montessori's in that area, but if there are any in a reasonable drive of where we lived we would want them to go to montessori private school until high school age. so we budget for that and spend money on that instead of a bigger house and mortgage. but they would go to the public high school so that would be a consideration. if there are no montessori schools within a 30 minute drive of where we buy then they would go to the public school and then we could afford up to $500K

did you move, we may be moving from ct and i need the same advice as you...three kids 7,5,3 and most important is school, house size, neighborhood and town...where did you end up and what do you think??

Michelle

mkitikat@optonline.net if you can email me

Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM

17 posts, read 41,763 times
Michelle,
Look in Moorpark. Great small town with really good schools for the kids. Peach Hill academy is fantastic as is the middle school and Moorpark High School. Moorpark has the best weather in eastern VC and a good mix of neighborhoods that are somewhat affordable.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Simi Valley, Camarillo or Newbury Park would be good choices.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM

74 posts, read 198,413 times
Calabasas is a beautiful area, but a bit pricey for the average family - just remember that this is the land of Kardashians, Michael Jackson's family, etc.

Areas that are family-friendly & a reasonable commute include Oak Park, Agoura/Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park, Moorpark and, at the far end, Simi Valley.. I think the Santa Clarita Valley is a bit too far. And that's if you want a commute - Woodland Hills is also a wonderful area & it's adjacent to Calabasas. You will get more for your money once you move further north of Calabasas, however!

Good resources -
schooldigger.com & greatschools.org to research areas based on schools.

Best of luck!!

Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Santa Clarita is more expensive than Simi Valley. Probably I'd say go for Simi Valley or Thousand Oaks. Thousand Oaks is probably the best option and it's probably closest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County