U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 PM
 
7 posts, read 17,282 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a single parent of a little girl. I use to live in L.A and I don't want to go back. I was considering San Diego but recently people have been suggesting Ventura County. I looked at Craigslist and I was surprised at the good choice of apts for a little cheaper than L.A rent. This was very motivating to me.

Living in a Safe, Clean area with good schools is important, did I mention SAFE?? It doesn't have to be Malibu, but I want an area where I can live in a decent place while we put down some roots and build a new life.

Also I'm divorced, so I don't necessarily want to be in the middle of no where, I would like to eventually meet a single guy when the right time comes. So no Farm Country, or Dangerous Gang areas for me and my little one please.

Some good deals I have found on Craigslist (Ventura) are in these cities, can you tell me if these are good/bad areas?

Camarillo
Oxnard
Ventura
to name a few

Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,342 posts, read 90,457,955 times
Reputation: 17781
All those places have good areas and so-so areas. None really have super bad areas.

Also, check out Oak Park, Moorpark, Simi Valley, and Thousand Oaks.

But, what really is important is your job location. Where is it? Commuting from Ventura County to LA is horrible because you basically have the 101, the 118 and to a much lesser extent, Metrolink and the canyons to PCH.

Give the forum some more details including budget and I'm sure you will get lots of good information to help you out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 AM
 
79 posts, read 202,361 times
Reputation: 24
Agoura Hills and Calabassas are the best Ventura county can offer, I bet on that ma'am
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,342 posts, read 90,457,955 times
Reputation: 17781
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam222 View Post
Agoura Hills and Calabassas are the best Ventura county can offer, I bet on that ma'am
Those are very nice places to live (excellent schools, safe, pretty, clean, amenities) except they aren't in Ventura County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 AM
 
79 posts, read 202,361 times
Reputation: 24
Charles
And what are they reffering to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
 
687 posts, read 1,039,247 times
Reputation: 222
To be able to socialize for yourself I would pick Westlake Village. Good mix of singles and families with walkable areas, movies, restaurants and entertainment. Doesn't have that country feel like other parts of Ventura County and has top schools too! Long time resident here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,290 posts, read 30,809,600 times
Reputation: 21875
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
To be able to socialize for yourself I would pick Westlake Village. Good mix of singles and families with walkable areas, movies, restaurants and entertainment. Doesn't have that country feel like other parts of Ventura County and has top schools too! Long time resident here.
Like Calabassas and Agoura, Westlake is in Los Angeles County and not in Ventura County.

Ventura County cities are:

Port Hueneme: A great beach town surrounded by Oxnard on 2 sides, the Navy Base on one side and the Ocean

Oxnard: A large diverse city that has very nice to not so nice areas. When people say don't move to Oxnard because it isn't safe, you would have to know what part they were talking about.

Ventura: large Beach and inland city. Has its good and bad. Mostly good though

Camarillo: Very family oriented for the most part. Does have a few hardened areas but very few.

Ojai: Small town of 8,000 people. Many current and former Entertainment people. Nice place to visit.

Thousand Oaks: Very safe. Next to Westlake Village which is in LA County. Family oriented as well.

Neuburry Park: Part of Thosand Oaks area. Amgen is everywhere here.

Simi Valley: Normally listed as one of the Nations safest cities. Many LAPD live in the area including my brother in law.

Moorpark: Near Simi and Thosand Oaks. Not a small town but not large either.

Other communities are County areas such as El Rio near Oxnard, OakView near Ojai and Montalvo and Saticoy near Ventura.

Did I miss anything?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 AM
 
7 posts, read 17,282 times
Reputation: 11
Wow, Thanks for all the very helpful replies.
It gives me some direction now. I am open to those cities in L.A County such as Agoura Hills etc, but I think places like that and Westlake Village are out of my price range??

I am looking for a an apartment under $1200 for at least a year to get on my feet and move into a larger apt. My daughter and I are willing to stay in a one bedroom together for a year, she is still pretty young (and clingy;-).

I work from home as a freelancer and I will occasionally need to go to L.A 2-3 x a week, but I do NOT want to live in L.A, I'm tired of that place even though we lived in nice Sherman Oaks, it's just too crowded, congested and higher crime etc.

Thanks Osuzana for the Westlake Village suggestion, I really do need to socialize myself, I have been a hermit since my divorce and would like to make new friends and date eventually, so it's important I'm not too isolated.

Feel free to add more to this discussion anyone, I will start looking into the suggestions already posted.

Thank you so much;-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
 
7 posts, read 17,282 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Like Calabassas and Agoura, Westlake is in Los Angeles County and not in Ventura County.

Ventura County cities are:

Port Hueneme: A great beach town surrounded by Oxnard on 2 sides, the Navy Base on one side and the Ocean

Oxnard: A large diverse city that has very nice to not so nice areas. When people say don't move to Oxnard because it isn't safe, you would have to know what part they were talking about.

Ventura: large Beach and inland city. Has its good and bad. Mostly good though

Camarillo: Very family oriented for the most part. Does have a few hardened areas but very few.

Ojai: Small town of 8,000 people. Many current and former Entertainment people. Nice place to visit.

Thousand Oaks: Very safe. Next to Westlake Village which is in LA County. Family oriented as well.

Neuburry Park: Part of Thosand Oaks area. Amgen is everywhere here.

Simi Valley: Normally listed as one of the Nations safest cities. Many LAPD live in the area including my brother in law.

Moorpark: Near Simi and Thosand Oaks. Not a small town but not large either.

Other communities are County areas such as El Rio near Oxnard, OakView near Ojai and Montalvo and Saticoy near Ventura.

Did I miss anything?

Extra Thanks to SOON2BNSURPRISE for all the helpful details!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,342 posts, read 90,457,955 times
Reputation: 17781
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Did I miss anything?
Santa Clara River towns (on the 126) Santa Paula and Fillmore and Piru.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top