Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a job in Simi Valley (in between SV and Moorpark really) and am cautiously optimistic about it. SV seems nice but way too hot for my blood coming from Montana. I realize Ventura is 25-30 miles away but would it be a doable commute if I take the 118? It seems to be sort of a back road so maybe the traffic wouldn't be so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
It is not too bad of commute once you get to the 118. The big problem will be with Tractor Trailors or the many Agriculture trucks on the 118. Lots of people drive this route on their way between the Oxnard - Ventura area into either Moorpark, Simi, Thousand Oaks or into LA county. The problem is that it is a 2 lane divided highway for the most part and it is hard to pass anyone, especially the trucks. All that when you get out of Ventura. Now the getting to the 118 part. To get to the 118 or Los Angeles Avenue you need to drive thru the city. Depending on where you live in Ventura this could take you a half hour to get to the 118 or it could take you 10 minutes. From the west end or mid town area you could hop on the 101 and split off to the 126 taking the Wells Road Exit heading South. Wells Road becomes the 118 in Saticoy, a part of the county just east of Ventura. During this stretch the 118 heads in a North South direction.

Here is why I like that drive. When the 118 heads East out of the Oxnard Ventura area you will find some amazing looking farm land, orchards, and horse property on either side of the 118. The 118 sits in the middle of a valley with hills to the south and to the north at some distance from the roadway. The hills are dotted with homes. For the most part it is a rural drive after you leave Ventura and enter the Moorpark area. After you leave Moorpark the 118 will come to an end and then you will need to re enter the highway heading North (It circles to the east a few miles down the road. From their you will be in the Sime area. That is also a big place though. Ir could take you anywhere from 5 minutes to 25 minutes to get to where you want to go.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
While driving the 118 to Ventura is scenic, it will take a long time and its not particularly safe when its dark (no many street lights, etc). You'd want to take the 118->23->101, but then you'll have to deal with traffic.

Anyhow, the weather in Simi Valley is not that bad. Its a dry heat and it cools off at night. In the summer its usually around 10 degrees cooler in Thousand oaks and that is a much better commute to Simi Valley.

I would never trade ~2 hours a day driving to avoid a little summer heat. The really hot days are not much different than dealing with the cold in a place like Montana. You primarily stay indoors. There are maybe around 10~15 really hot days in Simi Valley.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
I'm interviewing for a job in Simi Valley (in between SV and Moorpark really) and am cautiously optimistic about it. SV seems nice but way too hot for my blood coming from Montana. I realize Ventura is 25-30 miles away but would it be a doable commute if I take the 118? It seems to be sort of a back road so maybe the traffic wouldn't be so bad?

What are your other needs/wants/desires for a community? You also might want to consider the differences in the communities themselves. For example, Simi is subdivisions, strip malls, family amenities, and soccer leagues. Ventura has some of that (on the eastern side) but it also has a beach culture, the main street/clubs/shops etc.

Still, it is unlikely you will commute less than 40 minutes on the 118 or even more on the 101/23. The 118 may be less miles and maybe faster but it may be more frustrating. The 101 may be longer time and miles but you might get a better sense of "moving".

Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What are your other needs/wants/desires for a community? You also might want to consider the differences in the communities themselves. For example, Simi is subdivisions, strip malls, family amenities, and soccer leagues. Ventura has some of that (on the eastern side) but it also has a beach culture, the main street/clubs/shops etc.

Still, it is unlikely you will commute less than 40 minutes on the 118 or even more on the 101/23. The 118 may be less miles and maybe faster but it may be more frustrating. The 101 may be longer time and miles but you might get a better sense of "moving".
That's part of the thing - I much prefer the beach culture with local shops/clubs/etc. That's also the main reason I prefer Ventura to Camarillo, though I'm considering Camarillo too since it's an easier commute. I am a single 22 year old college grad so I don't really need or want family amenities.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
That's part of the thing - I much prefer the beach culture with local shops/clubs/etc. That's also the main reason I prefer Ventura to Camarillo, though I'm considering Camarillo too since it's an easier commute. I am a single 22 year old college grad so I don't really need or want family amenities.
Although Ventura has more charm than the other cities it is still largely suburban and it is not really oriented around youth.

Not much happens in Thousand Oaks, but its close enough to LA where you can easily drive to Hollywood, San Fernando Valley, etc for events.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,631 times
I think downtown Ventura (downtown, not the Avenue) would be suitable for your lifestyle. The commute in the morning will be OK but going home seems to clog on the 118 west of Moorpark until highway 34. There is a traffic signal there that is horribly inefficient.

The alternate discussed above (23 to 101) adds miles and also clogs.

Some even go over the mountains and take 126 to Ventura. I don't think that is any faster but it will be no traffic.

Anyway, it is about 30 miles

Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
Quote:
Make sure you have a glass policy on your automobile insurance coverage. I had three windshields in the span of seven years cracked by rocks kicked up by other vehicles/and or trucks on the two-laned portion of the 118 between Collins and Madera.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:49 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,129 times
If you were to move to Ventura and work in Simi/Moorpark area, you could take the 101 south, just before heading up the grade get off on Santa Rosa Rd. Take Santa Rosa Rd. till you hit Moorpark Rd, turn left there and it will take you pretty much to where you want to go.

It is backroads of nice neighborrhoods and raches, but I prefer that to taking 101 to the 118.

Quote:

Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
It's definitely doable. Count on 1 hour each way and you'll be fine. Bring patience. The two-lane 118 can be slow. The light at Somis can take 5 - 10 minutes to clear.

Another route is 101 to Pleasant Valley Road and up Santa Rosa Valley. Would definitely avoid 101 to 23. Lastly, you can travel the 126/23 route through Fillmore, if you're adventurous.

Another option -- the train. Amtrak serves Ventura, Moorpark and Simi. Metrolink leaves from Montalvo (between Ventura and Oxnard) and serves both Moorpark and Simi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County