Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 9,706 times

Advertisements

i will be coming from greensboro nc and was wonderling what the best way would be. Also i looked at google maps but did't like the way they give me. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM

190 posts, read 652,515 times
I couldn't tell you much at all about the best way to traverse through the mid atlantic and southern new england states, but I would recommend that you catch route 100 from mass. and head north that way. It's fairly rural and beautiful, and its worth a stop in Woodstock/Quechee for the day to see the gorge. You should also stop in Weston and go to the Vermont Country Store. What town is your final destination? Route 7 is a nice route too- not quite as picturesque, but it goes through many of the main towns in Vermont.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,203 times
It depends on where in VT you're going I suppose. You should obviously take 95 up to the northeast and then you could take 87 north and cut across the state line or you could take 95 to CT and route 7 up from there (once you get a little north, CT is very pretty along Rt 7).

Old 08-14-2010, 05:46 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
It depends on if you are in a hurry or not. If it is a rush job, get on 95/87. If not, take your time and enjoy the countryside. It is quite beautiful taking the back roads through PA/NY/VT. I try to wind my way though PA eventually traveling through the Delaware Water Gap and into NY. From there, I get on 22 and take that into VT. In VT, all roads are nice but I like either 30/31 up to Vergennes and than 7 into Burlington.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
how about 95 to 91.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
95 through NJ/NYC/Southern CT -- UGH! It can take hours (depending on the time of day) to get from 95 in northern NJ to 95 in So CT -- DO NOT TAKE 95 to 91.
Then the traffic at the 95/91 merge -- AACK!

One would have to be a masochist to take that route.

I come over via ferry into Bridgeport, hop on 95 to the Wilbur Cross which lets me off at about exit 17 on 91 in CT. I have little choice but to do that. The scenic side roads add so much time to the trip. Pretty, no doubt about it. Time consuming -- heck yeah!

The OP would be best off coming 81 through PA into NY picking up 84 then to the NYS Thruway 87, heading up toward Albany and then east toward So VT via Rte 4 and cross the state line at Fairhaven. From there it's a reasonable ride to Rte 7, Rte 100 and Rutland.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
It all depends on how quick you want to get to Vermont. Once you get to New England, the best way to go is not only quick but scenic. Unless you want to go on the west side of the state where 89 does not give good access. I grew up just outside of NYC in CT and have traveled several ways to Vermont over the years. You can take CT-15 (Merritt Parkway) which is a beautiful roadway as well National Scenic Byway and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. CT-15 also includes the Wilbur Cross. From there go I-91 north into VT. From Central VT it is 3.5 hours to just outside of NYC on this route and 4.5 hours from Burlington. I also only stop once for a bathroom break and fuel in Springfield, Mass. More stops and it will add time to the trip. From Burlington to Albany, NY going I-87 is about 3 hrs. itself.

OhBeeHave, you can avoid 95 from Bridgeport and catch the Merritt in Fairfield or Trumbull. You have two options. You can take Main St, Bridgeport (right near the ferry exit) and go north and you will run into the parkway. The other route is to take the 25/8 connector north (only a few blocks from the ferry). When it splits take route 8, it will go to the parkway. Look on a map or mapquest. Much better than having to go 95.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
OhBeeHave, you can avoid 95 from Bridgeport and catch the Merritt in Fairfield or Trumbull. You have two options. You can take Main St, Bridgeport (right near the ferry exit) and go north and you will run into the parkway. The other route is to take the 25/8 connector north (only a few blocks from the ferry). When it splits take route 8, it will go to the parkway. Look on a map or mapquest. Much better than having to go 95.
I would probably recommend the 25/8 connector. Main St in Bridgeport isn't one of the nicest places (unless it's changed over the past few years).

Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I would probably recommend the 25/8 connector. Main St in Bridgeport isn't one of the nicest places (unless it's changed over the past few years).
It is much better than it was 10-15 years ago. The area around the ferry is by far more seedy than Main St has ever been. Even that area of Lafayette St and Railroad Ave is much better than it was.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
It is much better than it was 10-15 years ago. The area around the ferry is by far more seedy than Main St has ever been. Even that area of Lafayette St and Railroad Ave is much better than it was.
I forget that I haven't been down there in about 7-8 years. Used to work off of North Ave just under the connector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont