Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 13,685 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

Considering moving to Vt. to purchase a bed and Breakfast in the Bellows Falls area. We have been doing this for some time, and thought that Vt. was for us. We use to live in coastal MA so know New England a bit but not so much VT.

Is the Bellows Falls area a nice area to live. How about Saxtons River? How are the schools? Is it a run down area or up and coming? Nice downtown in Bellows Falls? Saxtons River? Is it a good place to bring up a family?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2006, 07:52 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
I would consider Bellows Falls proper as an up and coming town. It used to be pretty run down but there has been some revitalization in the downtown. Saxton's River is a nice village. There is a private high school there, Vermont Academy, which has a nice campus.
Other than that, I'm not too familiar with the area. Hopefully someone more local will chime in.
Regarding schools - not sure. I can tell you that at the high school level the school is regionalized - Bellows Falls Union High School. Vermont is a great place for kids to grow up.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:45 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,827 times
Hi bugsarben,

I know people who live in Saxtons River, and I have visited there. It is beautiful, and they tell me they would never live anywhere else.

I am more familiar with Stowe, having a little vacation home there.
I don't have more detail than this re: Saxtons River, but I hope this helps alittle. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 AM

2 posts, read 16,386 times
Lightbulb Bf info

Hello-
I own Village Square Booksellers in Bellows Falls. My husband & I moved here in 1999, following 7 years of traveling aboard a sailboat (Caribbean, Transatlantic & England) & a Dutch Barge in Europe (France, Belgum, Holland). (We left Cape Cod in '92.)

Found community very welcoming to flatlanders. Great Library, movie run by Town Rec Dept in newly restored BF Opera House.

Purchased bookstore in Nov 2000, when former owner was closing it to move to used bookstore in Brattleboro. Only 600 sq ft- moved next door in May 2002- now 2000+ sq ft.

Easy to become active in local organizations, politics, chamber of commerce (I've been on Board & am a PAST-President). Check our website www.villagesquarebooks.com or chamber site at www.gfrcc.org (I maintain both) I organize 3rd Friday Art Walk each month. This weekend is Rockingham Old Home Days- 3 day event in town (see chamber site for details).

Housing costs have been driven up dramatically since '99. Our arts revival & good press in NY Times & Boston Globe brought many city folks looking for inexpensive 2nd homes or seeking to leave NYC after 9/11.

Lots of restaurants in BF & vicinity. Public & private schools available. Both elementary schools (Central & Saxtons River) undergoing major renovations this summer.

Not a huge job market- some light manufacturing & retail, medical & insurance, etc.

Pat

Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbooks
Hello-
I own Village Square Booksellers in Bellows Falls. My husband & I moved here in 1999, following 7 years of traveling aboard a sailboat (Caribbean, Transatlantic & England) & a Dutch Barge in Europe (France, Belgum, Holland). (We left Cape Cod in '92.)

Found community very welcoming to flatlanders. Great Library, movie run by Town Rec Dept in newly restored BF Opera House.

Purchased bookstore in Nov 2000, when former owner was closing it to move to used bookstore in Brattleboro. Only 600 sq ft- moved next door in May 2002- now 2000+ sq ft.

Easy to become active in local organizations, politics, chamber of commerce (I've been on Board & am a PAST-President). Check our website www.villagesquarebooks.com or chamber site at www.gfrcc.org (I maintain both) I organize 3rd Friday Art Walk each month. This weekend is Rockingham Old Home Days- 3 day event in town (see chamber site for details).

Housing costs have been driven up dramatically since '99. Our arts revival & good press in NY Times & Boston Globe brought many city folks looking for inexpensive 2nd homes or seeking to leave NYC after 9/11.

Lots of restaurants in BF & vicinity. Public & private schools available. Both elementary schools (Central & Saxtons River) undergoing major renovations this summer.

Not a huge job market- some light manufacturing & retail, medical & insurance, etc.

Pat
Pat, what an interesting life you've led! Do you find after all that exciting travel that putting down roots in Vermont has worked for you?

Do you also find that people moving there from the metropolitan areas have assimilated well, and enjoyed what Vermont has to offer? It's nice that the local people are welcoming to "flatlanders."

Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 PM

100 posts, read 381,407 times
I live in Brattleboro and would say that Bellows Falls is a bit rundown BUT the downtown area seems to be improving. Saxtons River is definitely a town that has a bit more money but doesn't have much of a downtown per say.
If the B and B is in a nice section of Bellows Falls it could be successful.
Is this a B and B that is already in operation and has proved that it can succeed in this town?

Old 08-13-2006, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 11,954 times
Hello,this is my first post to any forum but I am confused about the economy in Vermont. My husband and i have visited the Bennington area for the last six or so years while unemployment seems very low,people who live in the area have told us that there is very little work,we are looking to relocate in the next few years because we are not able to keep up with the high cost of living on Long Island.We fell in love with that area when my oldest son went to school at College of Southern Vermont. Any info on this, Thank you.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:11 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,378 times
mmccrea -

I live in Burlington, so I can't speak to the specifics of Bennington. But I can recommend the State Of Vt web pages, as well as a fantastic resource maintained by The Center For Rural Studies at The University of Vermont. Those two websites will provide hours of amusement and answer many of your questions! They are both very easy to find on the www.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 11,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccrea View Post
Hello,this is my first post to any forum but I am confused about the economy in Vermont. My husband and i have visited the Bennington area for the last six or so years while unemployment seems very low,people who live in the area have told us that there is very little work,we are looking to relocate in the next few years because we are not able to keep up with the high cost of living on Long Island.We fell in love with that area when my oldest son went to school at College of Southern Vermont. Any info on this, Thank you.
I suggest you try the Strafford area. Beautiful, and the economy is going great. Lowest unemployment area in Vermont.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 55,733 times
I would not recommed Bellows Falls as an investment. It really doesn't have anything to offer and the crime rate is rising. Brattleboro and ski towns are your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont