Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

I found this today at a yard sale. Marked WDEV, Waterbury, VT. It says speech by Governor Lee Emerson. Pretty interesting. One sided record from a radio station, it starts from the center rather than the outside. Seems to be from 1951 or 1952 judging from the content. Quite worn and sometimes hard to understand, but I'll get it copied when I get some better equipment out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 04:14 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
Wow - that's pretty neat. I can't imagine that there are too many of those hanging around. I have no idea how significant it may be in historical value, but here's a link to someone who might be able to help. Greg Sanford is who you want to speak with.

Vermont States Archives and Records Administration (VSARA)

Old 09-05-2010, 06:03 AM

Thanks. I'll have to contact them after I get it transferred so they can hear what's on it. I'm not sure if it's significant or not, but I was quite surprised to see that when sifting through a box of old records.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I'm pretty sure I've seen the turntable that made that record -in action! I probably have a photo somewhere...

The records started at the center so the skivvings could be brushed away without getting caught in the recording. That was prior to the station being allowed the boost in power, and it was a fairly important person, so either Rusty or Lloyd may have made it.

The record library was purged in the early 1960s, IIRC. I remember discus throwing a number of 78s and a few of those onto the dump. I saved a few for a few years. The bulk of them were so-so country songs. A lot were already damaged.

The same recording turntable made the master recordings for a few musical groups. One of them has to have been one of the worst nightclub bands of all times (I have the finished record), and one of them is was the best dixieland group I've ever heard.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm pretty sure I've seen the turntable that made that record -in action! I probably have a photo somewhere...

The records started at the center so the skivvings could be brushed away without getting caught in the recording. That was prior to the station being allowed the boost in power, and it was a fairly important person, so either Rusty or Lloyd may have made it.

The record library was purged in the early 1960s, IIRC. I remember discus throwing a number of 78s and a few of those onto the dump. I saved a few for a few years. The bulk of them were so-so country songs. A lot were already damaged.

The same recording turntable made the master recordings for a few musical groups. One of them has to have been one of the worst nightclub bands of all times (I have the finished record), and one of them is was the best dixieland group I've ever heard.
Now that's fascinating, thanks for the post!

I've known some records were made to start in the center so it would sound better when it got to louder parts, but that makes sense too for cutting one, the shavings would go to the center away from the recording.

I can only imagine that worldwide a large portion of all the recordings made since recording was invented were lost. There's a number of early recordings believed to be "lost" (no surviving copies). Some were probably trash, but some good ones too. There's a recording of Sir Arthur Sullivan saying in 1888, to paraphrase, he was astonished at Edison's invention of the phonograph, but also terrified at the thought of so much bad music being recorded forever.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 AM

325 posts, read 706,081 times
I was in the WDEV studios some time back and they still have a very large amount of old records there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont