U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,859 times

Advertisements

Hello, I moved to Burlington in August and am getting my car winter ready. I drive a VW Jetta (FWD) and currently have all season tires on my car. I'm wondering if snow tires are needed, or if my all seasons will be sufficient. I have a short commute to work within Burlington, but will on occasion travel to Ithaca, NY to visit family. The route I drive is down 7 and 22A towards Rutland and I've heard this road can get hairy during storms.

Also, if I do get snow tires, should I put them on all 4 wheels? I talked to a few tire people in NY and there was some debate about 4 tires vs 2 tires. And, if I only get 2 tires, do I put them on the front or the back? I've heard if the snow tires are put on the front of a FWD vehicle that the likelihood of fishtailing increases.

I appreciate any advice and helpful tips....thanks a lot!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM

3,401 posts, read 9,249,468 times
If you do go the snow tire route...you do need them on all 4s.
Snow vs. not...since you're in town and have a short commute..well...I guess it doesn't really matter. With snow tires you'll have MUCH better traction and your ability to maneuver corners and go up and down hills his much easier.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 AM

819 posts, read 1,348,518 times
Don't crew around with 2, get 4 and be done with it. You might save, what like $300 with only 2 tires but that savings will be eaten up right away when you fishtail in a parking lot into someone's vehicle or lose control changin lanes on the highway with the slush in between lanes..........

Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,164,950 times
Definitely invest in 4 snow tires. Shop around for deals. Without snow tires you are limited in where you can travel during a storm, especially if you don't have all-wheel or 4-wheel drive.

I live and work in a mountainous area and could not make it up my driveway, never mind some of the steep roads around here, without snow tires.

You probably won't need studs though given where you live and work.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 AM

5,441 posts, read 15,503,610 times
Both

there's always someone selling tires they put on last season then sold their car.

i got a set of 4 tires, mounted &balanced with wheels for $385. New was $700. they have tans of tread left.

mounting and balancing is expensive though (about $80 for 4 tires here in NJ at least) so something to take into consideration.

what year is your jetta?

Last edited by joe moving; 12-01-2010 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,859 times
I have a 2002 Jetta

Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,265,902 times
My wife tried the all season route twice. We live in the Burlington area as well. All season tires in this area will work fine the first year they are purchased. Once the tires get some wear on them, they suck. You might as well put drag slicks (no tread) on your car. If your are looking to save money, give Vermont Tire a call on Williston Road. They carry Cooper tires which are a very good bargin and a good snow tire. As a previous poster stated, you can also look for good used snow tires as well and use your all seasons for the summer. We also owned a Jetta a couple of years ago and the Coopers were great on this car.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM

10,931 posts, read 12,319,117 times
Here in Vermont we call all-season tires "summer tires".

Get four good snow tires, don't drive too fast, in bad conditions give the plows a chance to do their job, and you should be okay.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 35,230 times
OK, I guess I'm both a tire snob and a car snob, lol. My advice? Put four GOOD winter tires on your car...in fact, make them the best you can afford. Don't shop around for "deals" considering that these four tires will be the only thing making your little Jetta stay on an icy street, or putting you into a ditch, and possibly taking your life.

I put studded Hakka 4's on my car this year, as in year's past, and will only run them two winters before they are scrapped for a new set. Why? Because my life is far more important than the money it costs me to put the best possible tire on the car to face Vermont's winters. :-) Of course, you could always read the first sentence I wrote and realize that being a tire snob, there IS no other tire than a Hakka. ;-)

Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,497,969 times
I put the Nokian WR SUVs on my Volvo a couple of years ago, and for non-studded tires, they were amazing. Huge difference. I'm in NYC most of the year so the Hakka's were a bit overkill for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont