Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 08:31 AM

2,060 posts, read 3,941,516 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...in my continued research on our impending move, I have a bit of a question regarding food shops...I am an avid cook, and I cook anything and everything. I am very excited about all the local produce and products that will be available to me in Vermont, but I'm curious - are there any small specialty food shops that carry international products?

I would imagine there must be a few in Burlington...coming from NYC, I'm very used to going to different neighborhoods and picking up Italian, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Polish and Indian products...I know a lot of things are available over the internet, but I would much rather support a local business.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:36 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,216,373 times
Yes, there are a few asian and european food markets in the Burlington area. A small asian market is opening soon on Dorset Street in South Burlington. I can't remember its name, but I've met the folks that are opening it and they are really nice. Once the sign goes up I can post the store name if you'd like.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 18,990 times
Not to be averse to anything here at all (I love real Italian food), but supporting a local shop to purchase global produce is, well, hmm.

unusual. not 'local' *****.

so, you could order from NYC if need be.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 PM

I know the products might not be local but seeing as how I'd be living in VT, I'd much rather support a local business owner than support someone in NY, who probably has a lot more foot and internet traffic.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:46 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,642,532 times
Burlington offers alot, but good quality international products are hard to come by. You will have to do as I and many others do, and that is order from out of state. There are the asian shops that are ok, but they don't compare to those in NYC or Boston. I am a 1st generation Italian and getting good quality italian products is very difficult. There are many shops in and around NYC and Boston that will ship. I go to CT and NYC to visit family many times a year and always stop at the local shops to bring goods home. This may be an option also.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,791,434 times
The Vermont Cheese Traders in Williston has an incredible array of cheeses from all over the world at amazing prices.
Welcome to Cheese Traders and Wine Sellers

Old 07-26-2007, 12:46 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,642,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The Vermont Cheese Traders in Williston has an incredible array of cheeses from all over the world at amazing prices.
We love Vermont Cheese Traders. especially their wine sale every year, but they don't have hardly any of the specialty products we use.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,935,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I LOVE cheese!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:35 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,959,184 times
Springfield Mass has some Italian markets/bakeries and goods to buy. Hartford has more.

Also Northampton has some boutique markets for international foods.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 AM

Thanks everyone...Vermont Cheese Traders looks like a great place - I will definitely check it out.

I kind of figured that the internet would have to be my main source, at least for the hard to find stuff, but it's good to know there are at least a few options. I am sure when we come down to NYC to visit I'll stock up as well...

Anyone have recommendations for a good butcher and fishmonger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont