Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 10,562 times

Advertisements

any information or opinions that you anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. my husband and I may be relocating to newport. we currently live outside of phoenix but are from the new england area...our biggest concerns are career opporunities for me since we know what to expect weather wise. Also any insight on activities, entertainment and raising a family would be appreciated as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 10:41 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Just out of curiosity, why Newport?
Career opportunities? What types of jobs will you be looking for? Historically, that part of Vermont has the highest unemployment rate.
It's absolutely beautiful there though. Lake Memphremagog offers great swimming, boating, fishing, ice fishing, etc. Jay Peak and a couple ski areas in Quebec are very close by. Vermont has a great network of snowmobile trails as well.
Entertainment? Not much. Sidewalks pretty much roll up around 8 (heck even earlier lol).
Can't help with the quality of schools other than to tell you to look into the North Country Union School District (I believe its 7-12).

Old 07-30-2007, 11:28 AM

141 posts, read 227,957 times
Newport is a VERY small town. Career opportunities are few and far between.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 AM

that is where my husband would be stationed. so we are trying to decide if we would like it there...

Old 07-30-2007, 01:01 PM

141 posts, read 227,957 times
Stationed? Border Patrol?

Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 PM

yes...border patrol...

Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
The community is small. If your used to amenities such as having good shopping nearby, you won't get that in Newport. In fact, the closest Wal-mart is in Littleton, NH, an hour + away. There is a small mall in Sherbrooke, Quebec which isnt too far. (1/2 hour or so).

Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
I once drove to Newport for the day to investigate for a possible move...quite honestly some of the most beautiful scenery ever, but I could tell that I would lose my mind there within weeks. It didn't seem like there was much to do at all...

Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,437 times
I just moved to Newport a fortnight ago and am finding it to be so lovely and peaceful. People have been very easy-going and friendly. In fact, when I got my PO box at the post office, it couldn't have been easier or more friendly.

For me, since I can't drive, I've found everything I need on foot: a health-food store, regular grocery stor, drug store, a delightful hardware store that's got everything -- including clothing and pets -- the post office, plant store, library, clothing stores and so on. I don't understand why the one individual thought there's nothing here for shopping -- just because there isn't a 'wal-mart' here. Thank goodness there isn't one of those horrible stores here!

It's such a pedestrian-friendly town and I can walk everywhere -- including leisurely walks along the beautiful lake and the skyscapes are absolutely stunning! I just beheld the most magnificent sunset that absolutely took my breath away whilst I was walking back from the grocery store. I cannot stand shopping, and if it weren't for the beautiful walk home along the lake, it would be much harder for me to endure shopping. As it is, the lake and beautiful scenery round here -- including the architecture -- are a welcome change after being in such unsightly surroundings in the city!

As regards work/employment, I am self-employed and work at home. For me, this town offers such tranquillity and ease, I find it an ideal setting for me. From what I have been told, Vermont is an ideal place for entrepreneurs, as they're very much supported in this state.

Being in this area will provide an opportunity to be creative and to build your dreams in a whole new way -- living outside of the box.

Good luck in your endeavours to find your ideal new home.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:11 PM

100 posts, read 381,374 times
jazzygirl, where in New England are you from?

Northern VT can be quite a change, especially if you come from southern New England.

VT in general can be difficult to find jobs in.

Is Newport your only choice of places to move to?

You must visit before deciding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont