U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM

23,068 posts, read 40,139,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
There was an interview on WCAX with Bill Stenger about 6 months ago. He advised that at that time they were lining up the foreign investors for the project. Orleans County which both Newport and Jay Pk are in is the most economically depressed county in the state so it was a good fit for the project.

One thing I noticed from the VP article is that Leahy said this was the largest EB-5 project in Vermont with the addition of 200 jobs. Sorry, Senator but the Jay Pk EB-5 project produced 2,000 jobs. Perhaps his staff hit the wrong button on their calculator, probably made in China lol
I wonder how Orleans County compares to Essex County? According to the Census Bureau Essex County has a lower median household income and a higher percentage of the population living below the poverty line.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM

5,786 posts, read 13,014,239 times
I pulled into the parking lot of the proposed biotech building this evening with this thread in mind. There is absolutely no indication, in the physical sense, of anything happening at this time. It's still occupied by NEK Human Services.

In other exciting news: Ground has been broken for a new Dollar General store in North Troy. As a resident I'm not too excited about this. They sell a lot of the same items carried by our only remaining mom & pop store, and I'm sure they're going to feel the pinch.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,352,919 times
The EB-5 program's main mission is employment, perhaps Orleans County has a high unemployment rate.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,018,728 times
I still take clients to the human services offices here monthly and have not seen any signs of construction to date.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,352,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I still take clients to the human services offices here monthly and have not seen any signs of construction to date.
I bet a quick call to the Newport City Planning Office should get answer you seek.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 PM

14 posts, read 26,937 times
Update: just found this video on youtube. It appears to be a computer simulation of the facility AnC is going to build in Newport. If anyone happens to notice construction activity, please post an update.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 AM

I hope AnC or Stenger has a good response to the claims in this article.

Green Mountain Daily:: AnC Bio Vermont - Sports and Entertainment

Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,059,318 times
Somehow I smell snake oil.

First of all, this sentence in the article struck me:

Quote:
Once the plant is completed and operating in the US, AnC hopes to leverage that fact to speed FDA approval of their artificial heart device.
Anyone how has dealt with the FDA for more than 1/2 hour knows that this is nonsense. The FDA could not care less where a plant is - this does not factor into a decision to grant approval to a Class III device.

But what I find even smellier is the lack of information on this artificial heart.
A&C Bio Science

Normally a company that has at least filed a PMA or had preliminary discussions with FDA staff will have something substantive on their web site. It can be a press release, a description, a patent, something, but not a "this site is under construction" type of message.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 AM

One of AnC's products listed on their website, MyoCell, was under development by Bioheart (MyoCell, a cell-based, autologous skeletal myoblast therapy for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases). From the article linked in my previous post, "Ariel Quiros was given a seat on the board of Bioheart" . . . as part of a merger deal that fell apart because AnC couldn't make the required payments.

So, did AnC acquire MyoCell from Bioheart before the deal went sour? I wonder who actually owns the technology. Also, I only did a quick search, but I didn't see anything about the clinical trials with MyoCell after 2008.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,059,318 times
It stinks to high heaven if you ask me. I wonder who the bobbleheads are in the state who get to vet this thing. Probably technology illiterate buffoons who are snowed by buzzwords and can't tell fact from fiction.

If they have not at the very least filed the PMA (which costs $248,000 unless you are a small business, in which case it is $62,000) then there is no reason to believe that they are committed to getting their widget approved and producing it anywhere in the world, much less VT. It looks to me like they recognize a bunch of bumpkins when they see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont