Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to rural Vermont in a few months. We will not have a landline. Currently - we have ADT (which does send the police out in a very timely fashion). However, it is $$. I do like monitoring especially for the fire department. I was in a home fire as a kid and also had a neighbor whose house burned to the ground....with fatalities. Last year there were two fires in our neighborhood....in both situations, the owners were out (these were electrical fires) and the homes next to them (townhouses) were heavily damaged as well. If the fire had been caught sooner, there would have been a lot less damage.

So - I'm paranoid of fire and would like to give my pets the biggest shot of survival in case I'm not there by having monitoring. I don't care about the breaking in part.

Last edited by RedZin; 03-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Moved to Vermont forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
I'm not sure what you can do. I lived in a rural town (Brookfield) when I first moved to Vermont. There are a couple of things to consider. I'm not sure of the security need (I understand your concern about fire protection). Many rural towns do not have police departments, they rely on sheriff departments. Unfortunately the response time can be long depending on the proximity of the department or an officer. As far as fire, that has the same variable. We had a fire at our home and it was about 15 minutes (it felt like forever) before a truck was on scene. Fortunately no one was hurt, but this is one of the tradeoffs of rural life.
I think if you can't find an option to your situation, you should next take into consideration where you will live in relation to police and fire departments. One thing people don't completely understand about rural life is the response times are delayed with police and fire departments. Some, not all fire departments are volunteer departments and crews are often times on-call. In some cases they have to drive to the station to get a truck and then go to the scene.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Understood. I know that there are a lot of options out there....just sifting through them and thought someone might have experience with one of them.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
I found this, but the police or fire would have to have a way to receive the signal by satellite. Rural Security Systems / Secluded House, Isolated Cabins and Farms
Security Systems for Rural Environments | Devcon Security Blog
These are just a couple. There are many more, just Google 'rural security systems'

Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Do you have the ability to get a land line ? you don't necessarily need a land line, but the monitoring company may still want to run a Dry line to your residence. They would probably handle the billing for this through the telephone company.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 PM

I know we can do it via a cell signal....no, we won't be having a land line. We have the opportunity for one, but chose not to do it.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:27 PM

I have to say though folks, I actually didn't mean to be asking this question on the Vermont forum. The moderator moved it on me because I said in it that I was moving to Vermont. So, you can ignore it. I have some tech groups I can get on to find out more info. Didn't mean to be a bother.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Couldn't hurt to talk to the local fire chief and see if he has any suggestions. Maybe there's a certain system he would recommend over another for your neck of the woods.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM

200 posts, read 618,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
My husband and I will be moving to rural Vermont in a few months. We will not have a landline. Currently - we have ADT (which does send the police out in a very timely fashion). However, it is $$. I do like monitoring especially for the fire department. I was in a home fire as a kid and also had a neighbor whose house burned to the ground....with fatalities. Last year there were two fires in our neighborhood....in both situations, the owners were out (these were electrical fires) and the homes next to them (townhouses) were heavily damaged as well. If the fire had been caught sooner, there would have been a lot less damage.

So - I'm paranoid of fire and would like to give my pets the biggest shot of survival in case I'm not there by having monitoring. I don't care about the breaking in part.
The best system for a rural area would be a cellular radio which can be hooked up to any system you have, assuming you have cell service there,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont