Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,017,842 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to a border town in the Upper Valley near Lebanon. Several people have assured us they plow the roads very well and you can't use it as an excuse to not get to work.

Does that mean just highways or main roads or side roads?
Also when does winter actually kick in. (snow not cold).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 12:40 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,971,669 times
To be short and to the point....
I commuted by bicycle, yes, bicycle almost
year 'round in the Rutland area.
The real rural areas are less kept up of course, but
the larger areas are dealt wth pretty quickly. On the
days I was absolutely, positively not going to get through
on my bike, I would use my unregistered, uninspected,
no-snow tired car. No problem !

Old 08-18-2007, 05:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,797,620 times
There is no set date for when the snow starts. I think the roads are well taken care of and to be honest Vermont uses too much salt. Good snow tires and driving smart is the key to getting where your going with snowy roads

Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 PM

23,534 posts, read 69,978,132 times
Lemmie put it this way. I used to do my paper route on a bicycle year round. Yeah there is snow, and yeah, the plowing in most areas is excellent. A 15" snow in Vermont is less of a hassle than a 2" dusting in Georgia or Alabama.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:55 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,774,640 times
Yes. They really plow the roads well. Mayoral elections have been lost over this... As I've often remarked - I've never run snow tires, and I've avoided 4 wheel drive vehicles. I run all-season radials and front wheel drive. Granted - I live in Burlington, and I stay (mostly) off dirt roads and vertiginous driveways...And I'm a careful driver. But I skied 30+ days a year and never had a problem.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM

226 posts, read 691,407 times
These are all true, but I'd still avoid a rear-wheel drive vehicle. Mine was forever fishtailing in fresh snow. Anyway, the plowing is great, most of the time it's plowed before I wake up in the morning and the plows are on standby if snow is in the forecast.

It starts to flurry around Halloween and the first snow that sticks is usually later in Nov.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,537,748 times
Yes, very well. The only exception is the dirt roads.

I've lived in the Upper Valley for over 20 years and have legitimately missed work due to snow maybe 4 or 5 times.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,646,160 times
The only thing that drives me insane are the plow trucks that sit in the median on I-89 between Burlington and Williston. There can be several inches of snow on the road and they just sit there. I drive back and forth between Colchester and Barre almost every day and every time it snows this always happens. Has anyone else on the forum noticed this or know why?

Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 PM

9,238 posts, read 10,998,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The only thing that drives me insane are the plow trucks that sit in the median on I-89 between Burlington and Williston. There can be several inches of snow on the road and they just sit there. I drive back and forth between Colchester and Barre almost every day and every time it snows this always happens. Has anyone else on the forum noticed this or know why?
They are probably former road crewmen. You know the ones, a crew of nine with eight standing around talking, some leaning on shovels, and one supervisor on a cell phone? He's ordering pizza.

FWIW, I was a bit surprised in moving back to NE after a 40 year absence (it was that long? I'm that old?), about two things:

1.) The huge overuse of salt in what I would have thought would have been an environmentally sensitive area.
b.) When I asked about battery recycling at work, someone pointed to the trash can. See italics above.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,467,076 times
OMG!!! I can't believe I am reading this. VT Does the worst job ever when it comes to plowing Rd's. When I lived in Burlington the snow had POT HOLES, While in Rutland the Plows where good Probably the best in the state. VT Roads are Horrible in the winter. I Have to travel there about once a week and I hate it in the winter. You Might see one plow for 30 miles if your lucky. The city areas are OK. Aside from Burlington. But they don't plow the hi ways for crap. The back roads rarely see a plow and the main Routes don't see them enough. The Pot holes in the Snow is No Exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont