Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 PM

118 posts, read 284,965 times

Advertisements

Some people expect more of themselves and the world around them than simple happiness. How about achieving something meaningful? Is sitting around happily admiring the green hills of Vermont going to help find the cure for cancer? How about creating that oh so elusive magic green 'alternative' energy source we've all been waiting for? Probably not.

Civilization is built on the backs of great men. While we all can't be great, we can all at least try. Hiding in the hills simply 'being' amounts to free-riding on the sweat, blood, and tears of generations of men who worked for something more than personal happiness. Watching the once great state of Vermont crumble under the weight of apathetic aging hippies hiding under their shroud of cultural relativism is enough to bring tears.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:24 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
Yeah tears of joy. Let VT be an example to others(of what not to do.)

Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 PM

274 posts, read 673,919 times
I am actually pretty offended of the inference that I am choosing a lesser life and contributing less to civilization because I chose to live in VT. I contribute quite a bit to the greater good through the work I do. I directly and positively impact the health of children and the environment every day in the work I do, across the united states. I just think there are a couple whiners here that don't/can't contribute for whatever obstacles are in their way. Please don't make generalizations about what vermonters contribute to society. And please also recognize that we have a strong foundation of people here who work the earth to provide nutrition for others. That, I believe, is a much better contribution to civilization than the thousands of wall streeters that make money just to make money.

And by the way, I moved from southern NH/Boston where I made a lot of money just to make a lot of money. Now I make less money. Am I less fulfilled? Hardly. Money isn't everything. I do agree with Lisa though about needing to be more thoughtful about retirement because of the give and take. But I also decided, like Lisa and Swanstone, that VT is the best place to be for me RIGHT NOW in this time of my life....because it is the best thing for my whole family.

I realize not everyone has the same sentiment, but please stop the generalizations.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
I realize not everyone has the same sentiment, but please stop the generalizations.
Exactly. I think if you like it here, there is no reason to have to justify it or defend it.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 AM

Lack of drive is VT's problem. Read what people write here about why they like it better than NJ ie 'slower pace of life(wink wink)...' etc. If you are moving slower you are contributing less. Fine with me if that is your thing(others should be warned VT rolls that way), but don't pretend you are a contributing member of modern society while harking back to the good old days of horsepower, candles, and local everything because there was no (evil) choice.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Lack of drive is VT's problem. Read what people write here about why they like it better than NJ ie 'slower pace of life(wink wink)...' etc. If you are moving slower you are contributing less. Fine with me if that is your thing(others should be warned VT rolls that way), but don't pretend you are a contributing member of modern society while harking back to the good old days of horsepower, candles, and local everything because there was no (evil) choice.
This is a simply inaccurate generalization. I don't know any Luddites who want to return to "good old days" per your description, though I'm sure they exist in Vermont and elsewhere.

Life moving faster and requiring more effort just to accomplish basic tasks does not equate with contributing more to the world. That's a stereotype you're promoting. Unless you're conflating earning and spending more with "accomplishment." Those things might go together but they don't necessarily.

The Vermont life and its pace are right for some and not others. Also, many who would like to live here cannot manage it because of the high cost of living and minimal economic opportunities. Other places have lifestyle and pace that are right for people who wouldn't be especially happy in Vermont. Different strokes.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:40 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Slower paced lifestyles don't mean contributing nothing. We are the largest producer of maple syrup in the U.S., we produce a lot of granite, even despite the decline we have a lot of dairy production. Rural doesn't mean non-contributing. We've also produced two presidents, some musicians and authors of note, some of the earliest repeating arms were developed here, some early conservationists came out of VT, among other things. Those quiet rural hills here have produced more than just people admiring the views. The industry in some areas (NJ for example) is not sustainable itself nor does the pollution and congestion make for good quality of life. Scientific study has shown those dense, fast-paced, urban areas are quite bad for us. Endless growth is going to end, the world can't support it forever.

The problems in VT stem from politics: VT was never wealthy but was affordable until we got a crazy tax and spend legislature courtesy of the lefties who invaded the state years ago. Get rid of the insane spending and taxing and it could be affordable again. Actually, getting rid of the teacher unions would be half the battle. Furthermore, there's also the issue of free trade: VT sawmills and loggers, for example, can't compete well with cheap imports. We're even seeing things like honey being imported from places thousands of miles away for less than it can be produced for anywhere in the U.S.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Slower paced lifestyles don't mean contributing nothing.
Nobel laureate Jody Williams is from Vermont. Other Nobel laureates, such as Alexandr Solzhenitsyn, were born elsewhere and chose to live in Vermont. John Deere was from Rutland. Politician Stephen Douglas was from Brandon.

Here are many more well-known people, living and dead, who hailed from Vermont (though it looks like this list needs to be vetted for accuracy, there are enough there that even if we lose some, it's impressive for such a small state):
List of people from Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many who contribute to the world neither seek nor find fame. Vermont ranks 9th in the US for volunteerism and civic engagement.

All this is not to say I think Vermont is "better" than other places or that Vermont has it "right." I'm simply pointing out that generalizations can be unhelpful at best to people seeking accurate information.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
Always like starting the day with giggles. Some people miss a point entirely. For some of us, living in VT gives us "time" to be. It just isn't as easy while living in the fast lane making the bucks. As for not contributing to society??? I contribute more now than when I spent 3 hours every day sitting in traffic. I am also glad that the INTERNET makes it possible for more people to live where they choose....it's about working SMARTER and enjoying the scenery. For a different perspective...would you choose the office looking at a brick wall all day or the one with an excellent view of the skyline?

I did try envisioning myself as a hippie hiding in a ramshackel house lit by candles, without plumbing, admiring the mountains through a fog of pot smoke.....lololol Now, gotta get to the daily reality of working circles around just about anyone!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:07 AM

VT's syrup production is a drop in the bucket compared to Canada's. Dairy is insignificant compared to the Midwest and only a couple of percent of VT's paltry economy. Might be the best granite, but granite ain't doing much for Barre. All of the historical contributions are irrelevant today. Endless growth is not impossible, you just need people endlessly inventing new ways of doing things. Replace whale oil with kerosene, 100 years ago NYCs biggest pollution problem was horse droppings, the world changes for the better. Hunkering down in do nothing VT isn't the answer, get out there with other smart driven people and build stuff. Trade is good. Cheaper honey saves you money. Stop being Luddites pining for the bad old days. Funny how the anti trade ideal is mixed with Ludditeism, back in the old days everyone wanted trade, they knew trade would make their lives better so people dug huge canals by hand, and built railroads across the country without earth moving equipment. Why? because trade improved their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont