Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:41 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
All of the VTers that made anything of themselves left VT to do it. And Free trade helps everyone, to be against it on the idea of protecting something that other people can do better is being a Luddite. Those third world employees earning a dollar a day have it better than being hunter gatherers. We have it better because our shoes are cheaper. If you work in a US shoe factory, well sorry, disruptive innovation makes the world better, despite some scale personal losses that occur. If foriegn granite is cheaper than VT granite including shipping costs than good for the granite users. VT granite workers need to move on(and possibly out of state.)
Enjoy that antifreeze with your toothpaste, lead in your child's toys, toxic chemicals in your clothes, contaminated food, etc. That's free trade for you, after all Mexico and China can do it cheaper so it must be "better."

And to say nothing about protecting one's own country. We're destroying ourselves in the name of short term gain for a few investors. And in the long run I doubt those in the third world will find having their countries turned into toxic waste dumps for a few dollars was a good trade off.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM

118 posts, read 284,965 times
Crying at the mere sight of a sky scraper... one of the greatest symbols of human achievement? Sigh. I suppose the child lives in a *** skin covered Yurt heated with burning cow dung?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
Crying at the mere sight of a sky scraper... one of the greatest symbols of human achievement? Sigh. I suppose the child lives in a *** skin covered Yurt heated with burning cow dung?

I suppose you may not be familiar with the countless beautiful structures that fall in the vast range between a primitive yurt made from dead animals and a sky scraper. I suppose you also may not understand that aesthetics are subjective and not everyone enjoys sky scrapers. Maybe get out more.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
What you wrote should be a sticky. Nothing at all wrong with folks moving in with their out of state dollars(Artichomesteader and all the natives that suffer high prices due to money earned elsewhere setting local prices might disagree.) As long as folks understand that VT will bleed that wealth dry and replacing that money while living and working in VT is unlikely. And the schools are terrible.
Not a bad idea at all, of course if the people stop rotating in, the money stops, might not be sustainable.
Eonough said for all on these threads....I should be given a sticky! Maybe Mr sticky can elaborate on his own "personal" experience with vt taxes versus the horrible "daily experiences" we are subjected to....gosh darn it. I am quite content moving my mentally disabled Mom in with me, taking care of another "aged" mentally disabled person and being a single Mom w/no support since she was the age of 7. Hey!!! I get to live in utopia???? Fair trade,yep. No drive by shootings? Making less than 30k a year after decades in the windfall?? OMG! just enjoying the roses...........

Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
Quote:

Nah, kid grew up on the 27th floor of a beautiful highrise w/2600 sq ft 3 beds 6 baths and enjoyed a beautiflul tx sunset every eve. I was just selfish enough to take her to a place seeking more introspection than the outwardly accomplishment of accumulation. I just happen to get and respect that angle. Been there done that. I understand the wanting of more from thoughts and actions. Done it. I just am not less a person because I chose less in accumulation. More can make you tired and it's just not so important after a while.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM

118 posts, read 284,965 times
swanstone1, its not about accumulating stuff its about creating stuff. Its about working with smart and talented people that make creating stuff possible. (and by stuff I'm not talking about the hippie junk like pottery or crafts I mean civilization changing things like the computers you all use to access this forum or life saving drugs, etc). Most Vermonter's don't accumulate or create much stuff because they can't. Spend a few more years in Vermont and you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Spend a few more years in Vermont and you'll see what I mean.
Funny, I've been here 14 years, my husband more than 30 years, and we still don't see what you mean. Not that it never happens. More like the conspicuous consumption cultures we came from are pleasantly absent here both by choice and by necessity. Sounds like you're proposing there shouldn't be anywhere not ruled by almighty dollar, worshiping spending and acquiring. Again, a pity.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Skyscrapers are ugly...

Old 05-14-2010, 01:18 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Why does everyone have to keep arguing this topic?

Like Vermont=stay here
Don't=leave or try to fix it

What is the fixation about trying to prove 'my lifestyle' is better than yours?

It's a big country. Go out and find your own happy place.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Why does everyone have to keep arguing this topic?

Like Vermont=stay here
Don't=leave or try to fix it

What is the fixation about trying to prove 'my lifestyle' is better than yours?

It's a big country. Go out and find your own happy place.

Thank you. THIS is the post that should be pinned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont