Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times

Advertisements

Enjoy living in VT just don't be surprised that people have disdain for individuals choosing to be less productive.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Enjoy living in VT just don't be surprised that people have disdain for individuals choosing to be less productive.
Who made you the authority on determining who is productive and where? Why can't you just appreciate the fact that people chose to live differently and don't want to be wrapped up in the rate race? It seems some people feel living rural is better for their health which is certainly respectable. I can't see crunching numbers, being career obsessed and a high cosumption of material goods as feeding the soul. And there are plenty of people trapped in the concrete jungles that are not very productive and collecting their social benefits, and I'm sure most Vermonters could care less about them, so why should you care? Seriously, get real!

Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
According to De Tocqueville, a few isolated souls cold, stony New England townships carving out a new life away from the rat race of East Anglia and London had a pretty big impact on the world.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:43 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
You seem to ignore others' postings, especially when they contain facts that refute your assumptions. Still, I post again just one current example (not historical). Vermont ranks 9th in the nation for volunteerism:
Vermont Profile - Volunteering in America

Of course, it will surprise no one that you will twist this to denigrate Vermont and volunteering itself.

My surprise is the contrast between your disdain and the admiration I've observed for Vermont and Vermonters. In my experience, people who live elsewhere laud Vermont for its civility and industriousness and wish there were more of those things where they live.

I don't find positive generalizations of Vermont any more convincing than I do your negative stereotyping. I only know that Vermont is a great place for me to live so I work daily to contribute to it. Whereas Vermont apparently didn't work out for you so you left, but you can't seem to let go of it. You linger here, haunting the forums with your misery and badmouthing others. Even your member ID is stuck in the past.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 05-15-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
OK...this has gone waaaay off topic.

Last edited by vter; 05-15-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont