Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 21,435 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone new someone who lived in VT and worked in NY. Would it be worth it with the taxes? Are there any good jobs close to the border? The commute dosn't really bother me. My commute now is anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hrs depending on traffic, longer if there is an accident or storm. Is it any better on the NH side? Any input would help. I am looking for jobs in the logistics or biology fields, teaching or medical for my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,070 times
where exactly? new york city? thats a four hour commute by amtrak from brattleboro, i've taken before buts its definitely not commuter. im assuming eastern new york is what youre talking about, and you commute over the border from western vermont? thats a pretty general region so you should be more specific.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:03 PM

313 posts, read 778,367 times
Plattsburgh? Sure I suppose.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:52 PM

7 posts, read 21,435 times
I was looking to the southwest corner of the VT/NY border. I would like to be somewhere near bennington but I would work in saratoga springs. In the summer I can make the trip in about 45min, but im sure it will be longer in the winter. I am unfamilliar with the taxes that I would need to pay and didnt know if it would be better to take a job closer to bennington that pays less. Would it would be the same take home pay? The job in NY pays around $20hr and is 4 10hr days.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Arlington (VT) to Saratoga is about 45 to an hour depending on where in town on all secondary roads. Winter commuting? Eh. Its pretty far. You'd want a good reliable car with snow tires. I know people in Bennington who commute over to Troy/Albany so I'm sure others do the Saratoga commute as well.
Can't comment on taxes. You'll also have gas/wear & tear costs to worry about if you do the longer commute so be sure to factor those in!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
I did the one hour commute for close to ten years. You need a very reliable car and you will go through cars fast. Arlington is the best bet because it is a straight shot to NY. Saratoga is an hour with clear roads. You would put on about 17,000 mile per year just in travel to and from work. You then need to figure on local commuting distances, gas prices, insurance for extra mileage, etc. Don't just look at what the tax differences may be, there are many variables to consider.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
You could live in western Bennington County and easily commute to the Albany area for work. Living in the Upper Valley area of eastern Vermont you are very close to places like the DH Hospital, a fairly large teaching hospital in Hanover

Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 AM

26 posts, read 63,323 times
My husband and I have dealt with this issue many times over the years. There are three elements involved, and only you can decide how these will play out in your own situation. First, there's the wear and tear on family life that results from having so little time to spend together. Four hours a day with your family might resolve many problems or potential problems; four hours a day on the road is time simply down the drain. Second, there are the monetary issues. That big commute will cost you plenty in terms of insurance, tires, repairs, gasoline, etc., and will significantly shorten the life of your car. Our personal experience has been that no matter how much more you may pay for a house or rental close to work, it will be less than you'd pay (all things totaled) for a much cheaper place with a long commute. The best working experience we ever had was when my husband worked a mile from our home (which was an expensive rental that initially we thought we couldn't afford). To our surprise, we saved an enormous amount of money by being close to work. And, if hubby's car was being serviced, he could take a taxi (as opposed to the endless arrangements we were always making when he had a big commute). Third, there's the physical stress and strain, which may not be immediately apparent but does add up after a while. What a luxury it was to sleep an extra TWO HOURS every morning, and stroll off to work in a leisurely way. How great it was to get home with enough time to make a real dinner, and sit around the dinner table talking together afterwards. Our lives were incalculably more healthy, mentally and physically, without that commute.

Of course, these things will be weighed differently by people with different situations. One thing I believe I can guarantee, speaking from lots of experience: if you find a cheap place to live with a big commute, it will end up costing you more money than a much more expensive living arrangement that's close to your work.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
We live about 9 miles east of Saratoga Springs. Family is in Arlington, VT. Trip takes about 50 minutes via Rt. 61, add another 10 minutes to Saratoga Springs. You need to consider the cost of gas in your criteria, along with other expenses as stated by OP. Whether taxes are higher or lower in NY or VT doesn't make much difference if your commute is costing you so much extra.

Also for your career fields, Albany might have more to offer you in job and salary. Another area to look into is Glen Falls, NY for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont