Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 AM

74 posts, read 348,088 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I just came back from a trip to Vermont. I continue to love Burlington, but know that it is kind of expensive (despite the fact that nothing is as expensive as NYC). I am planning on renting for at least the first year before looking into buying anything, not that I have doubts about Vermont as much as I just want to be completely sure of it all (big move from NYC to Vermont, I know). I have yet to get to Montpelier, but that will be my next trip to Vermont in a few weeks. I would love to hear people's thoughts and opinions about Burlington vs. Montpelier including the areas around each. I was also wondering about the Rutland area. I have spent some time there, and although would not live in Rutland city, thought there were some nice towns right outside it. I don't have any children, so schools are not an issue for me, but do have a dog, so actually a dog-friendly area is very important! (I also want to be at least fairly close to where there are things to do involving cultural events like art exhibits/museum and music, as well as very close to mountains for hiking). I am by myself (just my dog and I), which is why being close to "things to do" is important for me right now). Thank you to any and everyone who responds to this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:30 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Burlington - A small city with approx 40,000 population. Metro area 150K. It's got a great airport. Always lots and lots of stuff going on - music, arts, sports, etc. Decent shopping for a city it's size. Lots of great restaurant/shops.

Montpelier - small town, approx. 7500 folks. When the legislature is in session (Jan-Apr) the town is hopping mid-week. It's got some good restaurants, and a couple small theaters. It's very quiet compared to Burlington.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 PM

214 posts, read 1,004,990 times
I'll take Burlington over Montpelier because there's much more to do there and better access to a lot more services. If you want to go smaller, I'd also consider looking at Middlebury... the college brings with it a big number of activities.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
I lived in Montpelier and it's a very unique and wonderful place to live. It has several unique features being the smallest state capitol. Very laid back, Hubbard Park, the downtown is easy to walk around

If traffic congestion and lots of big box sprawl is high on your list than Btown would be the place to live.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:06 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
I would have to say Burlington as well. Much more going on than anywhere else in the state. Everything a larger city has to offer plus some, like close access to hiking, golf, boating, skiing and the list goes on and on. Besides what could be better than hanging out at one of the outdoor cafés on Church St or listening to some good bands down on the waterfront at Breakwaters in the summer. Montpelier is very nice, but there are fewer things to do. Montpelier has good access to skiing and hiking, but if you are looking for a big variety of things to do then Burlington is the place.

I would try to move to the Burlington area first. Depending on what you do and like will have a big impact on where you live. I'm originally from outside of NYC and when I first moved up officially, I lived in central Vermont. I had a tough transition because after a short while there was nothing to do. I had done everything in the area that appealed to me and I began to get very bored. I get bored with Burlington sometimes, but the great thing about this area of Vermont is that there are many, many activities going on in Chittenden County.

There is some affordable housing and rent in the Burlington area, but you have to be on top of things. This can be harder when you aren't in the area.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM

74 posts, read 348,088 times
Thanks, 68vette. I think you can understand the transition and "culture shock" that I'm sure will occur when I move from NYC to Vermont, even if it's Burlington, based on the fact that you left outside NYC to Vermont yourself. My gut feeling is that I should stay at least very close to Burlington (if not actually right in it) to help me with this transition, as you had talked about in this most recent post of yours. I have also been looking at right outside Burlington itself (like South Burlington and Winooski) for my apt. search, but doesn't seem to be a whole lot cheaper than some I've seen in Burlington itself. Moving a bunch of times within NYC, I know how to be extremely vigilant and stay on top of the search for an apt. (it's cut-throat competition here!) Thank you for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont