Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 AM

44 posts, read 113,960 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of do do this:

I was told by a guy in New England that he sprays a light coat of oil under his car. He does this in late October, and says it helps keep the rust down for the season. Of course avoiding the exhuast parts.

It might not be so hot for the environment, though!

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 AM

444 posts, read 788,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joffficer View Post
Has anyone heard of do do this:

I was told by a guy in New England that he sprays a light coat of oil under his car. He does this in late October, and says it helps keep the rust down for the season. Of course avoiding the exhuast parts.

It might not be so hot for the environment, though!

Any ideas?
That sounds like a bad idea to me. Basic rust protection on new cars is much better than it used to be. I drove my last two cars in the Chicago area for a total of 18 years and didn't notice any rust on the undercarriage. Back in the '70s I had a car that completely rusted through in seven years. It's possible that a more corrosive salt is used in New England, but I doubt it. If you have an old vehicle that's already rusting underneath, spraying oil on the bottom might slow the rusting a little but won't stop it.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 AM

400 posts, read 849,471 times
I've heard there is a place in Middlebury that does this for $60.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I usually try to get a car wash that does the underside every few weeks.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
It's pretty common up here. I don't know that it's necessary, and I'm sure it's not that environmentally responsible as the oil undercoat drips off onto the roads.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,293 times
Oil undercoating is very common around here. Many people swear by it, but I have never personally done it...don't keep my cars long enough, I guess.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 AM

444 posts, read 788,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I usually try to get a car wash that does the underside every few weeks.
Regularly washing out the underside and wheel wells during winter probably does a lot more than spraying on oil. Undercoating used to be a big business, but now it's practically died out, except as an unnecessary, high-profit option sold by some dealers.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Regularly washing out the underside and wheel wells during winter probably does a lot more than spraying on oil. Undercoating used to be a big business, but now it's practically died out, except as an unnecessary, high-profit option sold by some dealers.
Yes, I remember those days when the dealer would always try to sell you undercoating. I go to one of those DIY car washes that have high-pressure hoses and rinse the wheel wells and underneath the car as often as possible during the winter. It only costs $3.00 and does a better job than the automated car wash that just squirts a little water under the car as you drive in.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
Vermont uses road salt. Take a look at older cars in Vermont vs. other states with no salt and you'll see what it does. Cars rust out here long before they wear out. I know lots of people that oil undercoat their cars and it does work. It should be done at least every year and it's a mess. Theirs a guy now who started using Fluid Film to undercoat cars and it works really well and hardly any dripping. It's basically lanolin and used by equipment manufacturers to prevent rust. If you do a search , you can read more on it. Much better. As a testament to oils worth. When Toyota bought back the trucks with rusty frames my friends 1998 didn't qualify. The mechanic said the oil undercoated trucks mostly looked really good.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
There are a few things to know before doing this. First, you have to use new oil. If you use old oil, that is illegal disposal of used oil in Vermont and most other states. The other issue is starting and ending with a clean underside. If this isn't done, dirt, etc that is trapped by the oil will eventually collect moisture and cause rusting. Just use a pressure washer to spray off the dirt that will build up and stick to the oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont