Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 29,035 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I have federal jobs lined up in Williston. We are a young late 20s couple w/out kids moving from DC. We love the VT area and believe it fits our lifestyle better than DC.

We want to find an area that has a walkable town/downtown center w/shops, pubs, etc., while having an opportunity to make new friends through co-ed sports leagues or other means. Moreover, we want to max out our income for savings by living in an area that is not highly taxed and is generally cheaper to live. We can easily live in Burlington, but generally, it appears to be more expensive to live. Montpelier seems to be generally cheaper for groceries and other items. Are there any other pockets out there w/in driving distance to Williston we should look into that meets the criteria listed above? Also, any recommended realtors would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
Check out Waterbury - located halfway between Montpelier and Burlington. There are a couple really good restaurants & pubs in town.
Bristol might be another option if you don't mind a 45 minute commute on secondary roads. Small, walkable downtown core with good restaurants. Same could be said about Vergennes. About a 45 minutes commute as well.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,972 times
Living in VT and saving money- Good luck.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Mustmove....we do it. It's not impossible. We both have jobs, have a modest house, and save a lot for the future.

To the OP: One thing to consider is gas prices.....even though housing is more expensive in greater Burlington, keep in mind the amount of gas you'll burn through with a 60 mile round trip commute daily. Gotta do some number crunching.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:17 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,490 times
I work with two folks from Montpelier and their property tax rates are very high. Also, Montpelier apparently has some quirky zoning/permitting regulations which fiscally bite you. One of my colleagues did a basic remodel on his house adding some square footage and the permits, time, and aggravation was literally "taxing." He also was required to install a sprinkler system in the remodeled section. Mind you, this a private home, no business, day care, elder care, etc. Anyway, for some folks it might be wise to research more in depth on rules and regulations which might potentially affect you. Burlington recently had a similar nightmare in the news for a small business owner which converted the old army navy store into a coffee shop. Without getting into details, the basic problem here involved the right not knowing what the left was doing when it comes the multitude of enforcing agencies governing the permitting process. Now for the question of affordability. Only you and you yourself know what your total dependable gross income is from whatever sources it may be derived from. It is absolutely essential that you do a straight forward and honest assessment of your mandatory expenses and then also add a realistic expectation for discretionary spending which of course varies from family to family. Is it possible to save? Yes, if your realistic net income exceeds your mandatory obligations. Please take into account also that many expenses can, have, and will exceed your estimates. Energy, food, and healthcare are good examples which despite my careful accounting and expectations have risen far more in my three years here than I would have dreamed. Also, do not assume that state and local taxes will stabilize, as doing so can very well dent even the most of disciplined budgets. So, in a nutshell, if your income supports your desired lifestyle to include paying yourself first (savings/retirement, etc), then congradulations and best of luck. If not, then you should face reality and assume the risk for your decisions and perhaps alter your desires and plans.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,645 times
About a year ago Montpelier did a city-wide reappraisal. There was such an outcry over the increases in property taxes due to increased valuations that the City Council totally dropped the reappraisal and will try again at a later date.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:03 AM

We don't call it Monpeculiar for nothing

Old 05-19-2008, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,323 times
Smile Montpelier vs. Vermont (Cost of Living) - Realtor Recommendation

Hello folks,

Congrats on deciding to make the move to Vermont. It's a great place. My wife and I moved back about a year ago. She was born here and wanted to come home. It's also 3000 miles closer to home for me.
MOD CUT: NO realtor advertising
Cheers,
Irish Dave

Last edited by vter; 05-20-2008 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 AM

504 posts, read 616,035 times
You should look at Burlington VT. a very walkable downtown plenty of stores, pubs, etc. One thing to remember is in the more populated parts of our state housing in general can be very expensive onsidering that you could be in a small town and a condo could cost close to 200,000 dollars.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:36 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,531 times
I second Burlington and the nearby towns. I wouldn't want to commute from Montpelier to Burlington during the winter months. You have to pass over some high elevations on the interstate. As another poster pointed out, gas is a huge factor these days as well. Good luck on your move! Vermont is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont