Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM

129 posts, read 234,895 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Vermont from the Pacific Northwest. I was recruited for a job in Montpelier. I want to share my thoughts on why I regret moving here so anybody thinking about moving here for a job can hear my two cents.

Vermont seems dirty, shabby, run-down. There seems to be a layer of dirt on everything. I was in my car with the window down yesterday and a breeze blew a cloud of dust over and through my car. Houses are old, dingy, falling apart. Everybody seems to keep a pile of junk on their porch, especially in Barre. The impression I get is that people don't seem to care about their houses. Actually, discussing the area with a coworker who is also new to the area, he said the exact same thing. This is NOT the Vermont I saw in pictures.

I can't find a decent place to live! I have a wife and a dog and a small child. We don't want to buy so we're renting. Our temporary apartment is falling apart. Sink broke last week, clothes washer broke, the floor is sloped, the linoleum is peeling, doors don't latch shut, there's no dishwasher, the list goes on. And I pay $1200 a month (plus $500 for heat!) for the privilege of this apartment. And I can't find anything better! Rent prices are sky high compared to Washington state, and the quality of housing you seem to get for your money is poor.

This state has high property taxes, income taxes AND sales taxes. But the roads are cracked and bumpy, and I can't find a decent park with a playground to bring my child to. I can't help but wonder where all the tax money is going.

I can see why employers have difficulty recruiting and retaining talent around here. I am under contract for a year, and I can't wait to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,773 times
When did you move here?
First of all this time of year is dirty and dingy. Mud season. Happens every spring.
Do you live in Barre? Not where I would have directed you to live. Yes, lots of neighborhoods are run down. As you are finding out living in Vermont is NOT like what you see in Vermont Life Magazine.
Parks? The outdoors is our playground. I have a young child and we rarely go to a playground. We hike, climb rocks etc. That said, schools have playgrounds. Have you tried there? What about Hubbard Park in Montpelier?
Yup...very tight rental stock. Lots of run down rentals which is too bad.
It sounds like you'd prefer living in the Burlington area. Have you thought about moving over there and commuting? South Burlington and Williston have what you are looking for - new construction, parks/playgrounds etc.
Sorry you are having a bummer of a time.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM

129 posts, read 234,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
When did you move here?
First of all this time of year is dirty and dingy. Mud season. Happens every spring.
Do you live in Barre? Not where I would have directed you to live. Yes, lots of neighborhoods are run down. As you are finding out living in Vermont is NOT like what you see in Vermont Life Magazine.
Parks? The outdoors is our playground. I have a young child and we rarely go to a playground. We hike, climb rocks etc. That said, schools have playgrounds. Have you tried there? What about Hubbard Park in Montpelier?
Yup...very tight rental stock. Lots of run down rentals which is too bad.
It sounds like you'd prefer living in the Burlington area. Have you thought about moving over there and commuting? South Burlington and Williston have what you are looking for - new construction, parks/playgrounds etc.
Sorry you are having a bummer of a time.
We've been here about a month. I was thinking maybe it is because of the time of year. I hope that's the case.

Is it... okay... to just bring a toddler to a school playground? Is that allowed? I'm new to this whole parenting thing. We did hike Hubbard Park. I was a little put off by all the dogs running loose as we keep our dog on a leash and she gets very nervous when unleashed dogs are running up to her and sniffing her butt.

We live in Montpelier right now. I don't mind a commute if it means a more habitable place. South Burlington is longer than I would prefer, but I think I might be running out of options.

If nothing else, I'm looking at it as a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,773 times
I wouldn't go to the school when school is in session but after school/weekends should be fine.
You've only been here a month-give it some time. Summer is glorious. Everything gets so green. Not so much dirt & mud Spring is actually my least favorite time of year.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,779,878 times
Here in the PNW, things are rainwashed, and, if gloomy, at least green in winter. In the NE, the winter can seem a bit start, with all the leafless deciduous trees, dirty snow, etc. It really brightens up greatly in spring and summer.

It will be interesting to see your impressions as the year unfolds.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 AM

198 posts, read 465,212 times
Drive around the surrounding towns and get into the country. Explore! You may find something within 30 minutes of Montpelier that is charming and more of what you are looking for. And yes, our mud season is dreary and dirty. Get out of the large towns and the run down apartments and you may find a home with acreage for the same amount. Good Luck!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,387,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
I just moved to Vermont from the Pacific Northwest. I was recruited for a job in Montpelier. I want to share my thoughts on why I regret moving here so anybody thinking about moving here for a job can hear my two cents.

Vermont seems dirty, shabby, run-down. There seems to be a layer of dirt on everything. I was in my car with the window down yesterday and a breeze blew a cloud of dust over and through my car. Houses are old, dingy, falling apart. Everybody seems to keep a pile of junk on their porch, especially in Barre. The impression I get is that people don't seem to care about their houses. Actually, discussing the area with a coworker who is also new to the area, he said the exact same thing. This is NOT the Vermont I saw in pictures.

I can't find a decent place to live! I have a wife and a dog and a small child. We don't want to buy so we're renting. Our temporary apartment is falling apart. Sink broke last week, clothes washer broke, the floor is sloped, the linoleum is peeling, doors don't latch shut, there's no dishwasher, the list goes on. And I pay $1200 a month (plus $500 for heat!) for the privilege of this apartment. And I can't find anything better! Rent prices are sky high compared to Washington state, and the quality of housing you seem to get for your money is poor.

This state has high property taxes, income taxes AND sales taxes. But the roads are cracked and bumpy, and I can't find a decent park with a playground to bring my child to. I can't help but wonder where all the tax money is going.

I can see why employers have difficulty recruiting and retaining talent around here. I am under contract for a year, and I can't wait to leave.
Vermont is far from perfect, but it's hardly dingy and dirty. I'm from NJ and always marvel at how clean it is here by comparison.

Barre is not a good representation of Vermont. Take a drive to Stowe or the Northeast Kingdom, or to the Champlain Valley and you'll be impressed by how beautiful the state is.

Unfortunately, your apartment experience is common. There is a terrible shortage of rental places statewide and landlords tend to overcharge and allow their properties to decay b/c they know people are desperate. I don't have any suggestions for you.

As far as restaurants and playgrounds are concerned, Burlington has lots of eateries of every description and lots of recreation areas. Closer to Barre is Playground 2000 (in Barre City, I think), which was nice when my kids were younger.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 AM

31 posts, read 87,065 times
Like some have said, this is the worst time of year. I lived in the Tacoma area for a couple years. You know how, when the sun comes out in summer and everything is green and all the people are out and everything is beautiful? That's how VT will be from end of June until end of August (except for every weekend when it will rain! ).

Summers and fall are glorious in VT. You will get some serious bugs and July and August can be very humid with bad thunder showers.

Taxes and cost of living is why I don't live there. I think the high property tax is what keeps the rents abnormally high.

There is a fair amount of rural poverty in VT. But the same can be said for WA, especially as you go east over the Cascades.

VT has an old ordinance that you have to keep some junk on your front porch. It helps keep the flatlanders from wanting to move there. It helps if you have an old rusty truck in the sideyard and a dog chained to a tree.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 AM

400 posts, read 850,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
Redundant state agencies and the education department mostly. Vermont maintains one of the highest per pupil spending rates in the country in order to achieve its middle of the pack results and shockingly large number of school districts. The gas tax is frequently used to shore up the education fund assuring the road situation will only continue to get worse.

While I wouldn't call your description inaccurate, particularly with regards to Barre I will say that this isn't the best time of year. Accumulated salt dust, mud and the yearly snow melt revealing of the hidden trash assure its probably the ugliest the state looks. During the summer large amounts of vegetation will grow which will obscure much of the rural landfills true condition and the rains and humidity will wash away the salting and sanding dust. The frost heaves will settle out...slightly, by the summer and they may even patch some of the holes in the holes so that the likelihood of severe suspension damage will be reduced when driving. Some porches full of garbage may have vines or trees that will block them from view and a few individuals might even be industrious enough to dump their old washing machines in the woods once mud season dies down making the risk of getting stuck less.

I'm afraid there will be no respite from the run down houses though. With high property taxes and development laws that prevent the construction of new housing costs will remain high and supply low.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM

23,616 posts, read 70,539,170 times
Those apartments have character. You might think I am spoofing you, but I'm not. If you re-frame the way you think about it, you might find it more interesting and an authentic experience. If you live in Barre, then chances are your apartment used to be occupied by a granite cutter and his family. We all just pass through this existence, get out of your own immediate comfort zone and do a little digging into the history of the area.

The huge historical society library sits in an important spot in Barre (an old school) and has a nice park in front of it. Check around and see if you can find a couple of old R.L. Duffus books; "The Williamstown Branch" and "The Waterbury Record." They'll give a flavor to your experience.

I lived in a couple of third floor walk-ups in Burlington and some other places. Of COURSE they are not a "House Beautiful" stage setting. They are history and a link to a past just as much as a drafty cold castle in Europe.

Vermont can be hideously dirty and depressing in winter and late winter. Why do you think Vermonters were always snapping photos of it when it was gorgeous and sending them to friends and magazines? You'll appreciate the budding out of the trees and growth into summer all that much more because of the current conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont