Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,872,181 times

Advertisements

what kind of things do you like to do outdoors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 PM

325 posts, read 926,012 times
I'd say Burlington, VT or Northampton, MA are your best options for cultural hubs with a younger crowd and with easy access to outdoor activities. Beware that winter can be very long and depressing in VT - unless you're really into skiing. Brattleboro, VT and Keene, NH might be worth looking at, though smaller.

Last edited by wmass; 04-02-2012 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
I'd say Burlington, VT or Northampton, MA are your best options for cultural hubs with a younger crowd and with easy access to outdoor activities. Beware that winter can be very long and depressing in VT - unless you're really into skiing. Brattleboro, VT and Keene, NH might be worth looking at, though smaller.
I would definitely want to move to Burlington if I were 20-something. It's got a good nightlife scene, great restaurants, good recreational opportunities, and lots of political/artsy/community-action groups you could join to make friends and meet potential dating partners.

NE Kingdom is beautiful and has amazing outdoor recreation opportunities, but I think a single person would be bored and it would be difficult to meet people. It's more ideal for families or people who were raised here and have family nearby.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 AM

444 posts, read 789,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post

I'm looking at Oregon or Vermont.
There are a lot of subtle differences between Oregon and Vermont. Although people have moved to both states from all over, Oregon has a West Coast flavor and Vermont has an East Coast flavor. Having lived in both states, I'd say Vermont is more down to earth. Vermont has no real city, whereas Portland, Oregon is a very nice city to live in. For an outdoors person, Oregon may have a little more to offer: an ocean, taller mountains, more forests, and high plains cowboy country. Portland is also a heavy tech area, which Vermont is not. Unless you dislike cities and want a rural area, I think the Portland area might be a better fit for you than Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont