Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM

26,479 posts, read 46,791,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Everyone in the northeast got way below average snow this past winter. Hopefully it's just an anomally, last winter was a big year for snow. It's all reletive. What's a normal snowfall for Sunapee? Comparing apples to apples, the snow in northern NH is hardly a desert by comparison to Jay, that's all I am saying. Just going by location and elevation Sunapee will always have less yearly snowfall than Jay. That's why we all, except MRG, have snowmaking. Even Jay has snowmaking.

When the state leased Sunapee to Triple Peaks(former owners of Okemo) I think some mountain improvements were made despite not being allowed to swap land for condos. I have spent alot of time in the New london/Sunapee area and usually that area gets good snow being in a snow belt. Hopefully next winter will be back to normal, if there is such a thing anymore.
I was actually driving on some back roads in that area the other day from the 12A Georges Mill exit up through Springfield/4A. I have NEVER seen the area as brown and dry for April. I figure that the brush fire or wildfire danger must have been very high- which is HIGHLY unusual given the fact that March/April is supposed to have moist soils from snowmelt and snowcover. I don't think this "new normal" is going to be too fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,962,963 times
Gotta agree with that. I took a ride through Hazen's Notch this evening and locked the front hubs on my pickup in case I needed 4WD. The notch is the on the back side of Jay Peak and there wasn't any snow at all. I could see a few spots higher up, but the road looked like it had been clear and dry for at least a week, maybe more. This is one of the roads that doesn't get plowed in the winter and many years you just don't try it this early in the season.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,842,256 times
Already been some brush fires around here and some fire officials feel if we don't get the usual spring rains might be in for some forest fires this summer.

I was living just outside the south entrance of Yellowstone during the summer of 88' when half the park burned. The comeback of mother nature there has been amazing.

Lots of fuel in the northest forest lands since it has been decades since there were regionwide forest fires. The weather forecast in my neck of the woods shows rain this week. which is normal this time of the year. Maybe even snow showers on thursday.

Wore my sandals as a test today, already put them back in the closet. lol I think the new normal is going to be weird so I guess we might as well get used to it.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,620 times
Vermont's Northeast Kingdom is a depressed (economically) area. Jobs are few and far between, good jobs, means LOCALS may actually use some of the stuff generally built to pick the pockets of flatlanders. Fewer flatlanders to deal with actually make some of these places inviting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont