Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

Time for a more uplifting topic (rather than depressing economic one). How is Halloween celebrated here? Do the kids trick or treat? We live in a big 'retirement/tourist' area. I wonder if I will see a lot of kids going door to door or if the schools will have a party or if not.

Speaking of this, are the schools in VT 'pc' about holidays? Back in ole NY we weren't allowed to say Christmas party or Easter party or whatever at my son's school because it might offend someone who worships a rock or some other 'perceived' slight..(I hated that PC nonsense).

I still wonder WHY saying "Christmas Party" upsets people...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
We don't get trick or treater's because we live in the boonies. Our town does have a Halloween Party that night. I've never been as we dont have kids (yet).

Old 09-21-2007, 10:15 AM

226 posts, read 693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Time for a more uplifting topic (rather than depressing economic one). How is Halloween celebrated here? Do the kids trick or treat? We live in a big 'retirement/tourist' area. I wonder if I will see a lot of kids going door to door or if the schools will have a party or if not.

Speaking of this, are the schools in VT 'pc' about holidays? Back in ole NY we weren't allowed to say Christmas party or Easter party or whatever at my son's school because it might offend someone who worships a rock or some other 'perceived' slight..(I hated that PC nonsense).

I still wonder WHY saying "Christmas Party" upsets people...?
Halloween is big in Burlington and kids do trick or treat. Even adults dress up and there are a lot of parties.

Sorry in advance if any of this seems abrasive, I don't mean it to be, but I went to a very religious school and feel strongly about it. (My first reaction to that question was to say that I don't worship rocks, but I also don't worship an imaginary friend, nor would I appreciate someone else's imaginary friend being inserted into my child's life/schooling on a daily basis.)

The schools call them "Holiday Parties" to be inclusive b/c not everyone believes in Christ/Easter.

If you were a Christian in a largely Muslim area, would you stand by your child's public school promoting Mawlid and telling children to celebrate the birth of Mohammed? I'm not offended by the words "Christmas party," but they do promote a worldview in which I don't place faith. Public schools are meant to be secular, including secularized holidays. There are some private schools in Vermont that may appeal to you if you prefer a less secularized environment: Vermont/VT Private Schools - Private School Review

Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 PM

Actually, we're not at all religious. I just find being too 'pc' not to my liking. Not everyone wants to bend over backwards because 'someone' might be offended.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:13 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Just watch out for cabbage night. In some areas there can be a bunch of petty vandalism and ruined gardens.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:38 PM

226 posts, read 693,762 times
ok, well, I'm sure the schools will let you call it whatever, but they probably have to call it "holiday party" to avoid being sued.

I haven't had a big problem with cabbage night, but there can be a lot of noisy parties.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post

The schools call them "Holiday Parties" to be inclusive b/c not everyone believes in Christ/Easter.

If you were a Christian in a largely Muslim area, would you stand by your child's public school promoting Mawlid and telling children to celebrate the birth of Mohammed? I'm not offended by the words "Christmas party," but they do promote a worldview in which I don't place faith. Public schools are meant to be secular, including secularized holidays. There are some private schools in Vermont that may appeal to you if you prefer a less secularized environment: Vermont/VT Private Schools - Private School Review
No offense, but in the US Christmas is now a big secular year end celebration. Some people may look at it as a religious holiday, but if any of those people go shopping, give gifts, have Santa, Rudolph, lights, and all the rest of the fun stuff, they would be hard pressed to find religion in that.

The holiday is and always has been Christmas. That's it. We shouldn't be afraid to say it.

The only world view that Christmas Party promotes is a fun year end holiday. We would all be better off as a country if we stop trying to get rid of the things that bind us as a nation.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:22 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
Very well said, Lilybeans. It's ironic how "inclusive" gestures designed not to offend really end up driving wedges between people and build resentment. And if I were a Christian in a Muslim country, I would fully expect them to celebrate whatever they wanted to their heart's content, and I'd be happy for them, not angry and bitter. Isn't it also interesting how those who preach tolerance the loudest end up being the most intolerant of all?

Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Very well said, Lilybeans. It's ironic how "inclusive" gestures designed not to offend really end up driving wedges between people and build resentment. And if I were a Christian in a Muslim country, I would fully expect them to celebrate whatever they wanted to their heart's content, and I'd be happy for them, not angry and bitter. Isn't it also interesting how those who preach tolerance the loudest end up being the most intolerant of all?
I totally agree with you on that.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Well, I will still call it Christmas, Easter, Halloween ('harvest party'...what a joke).

I agree with Lily when she says people want to erase our traditions by dumping on Christmas.

Why is it that every group gets to scream out loud about 'being offended' by some holiday? Just don't celebrate it. If it really offends you if your kid sings a Christmas carol get over it. Life is too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont