U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,898,544 times

Advertisements

My son's new school is like night and day from the one we left back in NY. Tonight was Open School Night and it was just mellow, people not cramming each other like animals, plenty of room in the parking lot..his class is so large and inviting with much fewer kids. I never noticed how big it was the other time I was there.
The playground is so big and kid friendly--not an afterthought parking lot. It has swings, a field, a few slides and so on..

The teachers want you (the parents) to call them by their first names. They didn't lecture us on 'what the kids would learn this year.' We were able to just wander the school and see the classrooms and the other places the kids learn. The pace is much more relaxed. I hope I wind up a bit like that, too. (just not hyped up about stuff..)

We even saw a lot of bats on the playground.

I'm just posting this for other parents thinking of moving to a more rural place to let you know that small towns have a lot to offer your kids, even if they aren't the most exciting places to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 06:59 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,609,172 times
Gypsy, it's great that the school has such an inviting and relaxing atmosphere, but do keep tabs on the content of academic content to make sure your kids are really getting an education that will allow them to be competent and competative should they go on to post secondary phases. I've spoken to a few parents here and some are a bit frustrated that the amount of fluff exceeds solid academics. A recent commentary on interpreting the performance of our students here suggests that their statistical ranking is not as great as we have been led to believe. Anyway, it's good to hear things are working out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont