Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 11:41 PM

70 posts, read 285,762 times

Advertisements

Hey:

So, we are looking at buying a year round house that was once a camp in Sandgate. Half on piers, half concrete foundation. So, here in lies my need for some advice and suggestions as to what I should do from people who may know what I am talking about. I have searched the internet vigorously and cannot find any guidance.

1) The septic situation is as follows: about a 50 year old cinderblock cesspool. This makes me nervous for a few reasons. First of all, we plan on installing a compostable toilet, so we will not be needing the cesspool/septic situation. Since the wastewater law changed 5 years ago, this property is grandfathered in and does not require the new state level mandated septic system. So here is my question, can I back fill the cesspool with debris? Does anyone have experience with this project. I don't want to leave it chilling in the yard, I have kids and have heard some horror stories about small children falling into collapsed cesspools. Maybe I am naive but now I am fearful.

2) The well is equal in age and is also, cinder block? I punctuate that as a question because quite frankly, I do not understand how the well is cinder block, how would it hold water? Again, maybe I am ignorant, if so I am sorry (please do not make me feel foolish).

3) The gray water, and this is laughable, shoots out of the house via a pipe that goes under the deck and out over the cliff on the other side of the property. I feel as though this may be highly unsanitary. I understand that gray water is not toilet water, but none the less....

SO HERE IS THE DILEMMA, as if the above was not enough of dilemma.

1) Does anyone understand this backwards system?
2) Should I offer this person $2.00 for this property and just revamp the entire water/wastewater system?
3) How much is this going to cost me? Is this a nightmare waiting to happen or is it something that is handleable?
4)ANY AND ALL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR REPUTABLE INSPECTORS AND/OR SEPTIC/WELL COMPANIES IN BENNINGTON COUNTY WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Thanks for listening to my handful of problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
There are regulations, and then there are the real issues involved. Many of the regulations are actually promoted by an industry that wants to make money, aided by those who think they have an interest in nature.

Start at the beginning -
When a bear or other animal defecates in the woods there is no waste disposal system. When cows relieve themselves in pastures, there is no waste disposal system. Both woods and pasture are safe to walk in if you don't drink out of pasture puddles.

The real reason for cesspools and septic systems is a communicable disease called typhoid. The cosmetic effect is an added plus. A grandmother of mine died of typhoid, but that was close to 100 years ago. It is a serious disease that has been largely eliminated by proper sanitation.

On a practical basis, the existing setup can work. Cesspools need to be pumped out frequently, as there is minimal conversion and leaching compared to a septic tank and field. Another grandmother of mine had one in her back yard and when the grass got soggy, it was pumped. Cesspits are just a larger version of the "black water" tank in an RV. They can have a strong concrete pad placed over them, with an accessway to make them safer, but the big issue is regulation changes. Eventually, even grandfathered systems will be forced into compliance. Your compost toilet will make no difference. Regulations don't work that way. Government thought goes "If the current owners want to compost their poo, fine, but they still have to have a working toilet that meets our code." There is method to the madness. If an owner gets tired of the upkeep or smell, having the alternative saves problems.

Gray water is a ridiculous concept in the first place, and it has gained favor because it seems "green" and can reduce water usage. If you have an infant and use cloth diapers, or you use "family cloths" instead of toilet paper, there is no real difference between grey water and sewage, is there? Eventually, a few people will get sick and all the gray water hype will go away.

If kids don't play around the outflow of the gray water pipe, it can be fine. If kids stay away from open sewage pits, they can be fine. However - kids will be kids.

We had a large septic tank and field installed for about $2,500 five years ago. Prices vary tremendously according to local regulations and requirements. It is entirely possible for a new system to cost $25,000 in some areas.

Concrete block well. A well isn't designed to hold water. It is designed to reach the aquifer and allow water from it to seep into it. Some wells do store a small amount of water, but most depend on a constant flow of five or more gallons per minute. A concrete block well is an old surface water well. Surface water is prone to contamination. We use surface water from a creek, but it goes into a cistern that I chlorinate and let settle, then the drinking water gets filtered through a Doulton micropore ceramic filter. People will talk with you about Berkey filters but the promotional literature and websites are lies and half-truths. DO NOT trust Berkey. PM me if you need more on this.

Before doing anything, contact the county health officer and start asking questions. Ours was highly helpful, and once he knew we wanted to do things right and wanted to use a contractor who he had no problem with, things went quite smoothly. He is really the person you need to be talking with, as he has the yea or nay power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont