Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E922 View Post
Hmm, ok...my week in WI was spent entirely in Milwaukee which is lakeside, so I guess I saw the worst of the worst then.
Ya, Milwaukee is the "mildest" part of Wisconsin during winter. Other region of the state are much colder, some colder than northern New England (Northwoods of Wisconsin getting honorable mention).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 PM

70 posts, read 105,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ya, Milwaukee is the "mildest" part of Wisconsin during winter. Other region of the state are much colder, some colder than northern New England (Northwoods of Wisconsin getting honorable mention).

So are you saying that Brattleboro would not be much different from Milwaukee??? OMG.

Well, OTOH I am slated to be doing an internship overseas between January 14 and March 1, so hopefully that means I would miss the absolute worst of it, knock on wood...

Of course that also means that when I return for the March 4 to May 24 spring term, I will get the full benefit of the "Mud Season," right? It sounds almost as bad as deepest winter...

Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E922 View Post

So are you saying that Brattleboro would not be much different from Milwaukee??? OMG.

Well, OTOH I am slated to be doing an internship overseas between January 14 and March 1, so hopefully that means I would miss the absolute worst of it, knock on wood...

Of course that also means that when I return for the March 4 to May 24 spring term, I will get the full benefit of the "Mud Season," right? It sounds almost as bad as deepest winter...
"Mud Season" is generally at its worst on dirt roads. If you avoid those and mainly stay on paved and well maintained gravel roads it isn't generally that bad. As mentioned before, every winter is different- particularly these days. There could be lots of snow and cold or it might be mild with not a lot of snow. Winters are getting warmer in New England just like nearly every other area of the US and beyond.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:12 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
I have lived in Montpelier for almost thirty years and I notice a significant difference between Montpelier and the Brattleboro area. It's a lot farther south, and we often see the snow that we have in Montpelier disappear by the time we get as far south as Brattleboro. When we watch the news on television Vernon frequently seems to be the warmest spot in the state in the winter, and although I like to joke that it's because of Vermont Yankee I think the real reason is how far south it is.

If you look at the records you will see that winters in Brattleboro are pretty mild:

Monthly Averages for Brattleboro, VT (05301) - weather.com

Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 AM

444 posts, read 788,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I find VT less depressing... since there are many more outdoor activities to do during the winter. The snow also reflects the sun more making it seem sunnier to me.

in the winter we pretty much dont take off top and bottom wool long underwear ever, but we keep it pretty cool in the house. outside you have to be more careful because with good exercise you can get drenched in sweat no matter how cold.
One other thing non-Vermonters might want to know about is the high cost of heating here. This is the only state I've lived in where the thermostats are often set at 60 degrees in the winter and everyone wears long underwear all day. It wasn't hard for us to make that adjustment though. Keeping a warm house is expensive.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
WI is much worse than VT unless you're on top of our tallest mountains, or, in a cold year, some parts of the NEK can be brutally cold to people not used to it (I kind of like 30 below). Brattleboro has pretty mild weather IMHO. There can be 10 or more degrees difference in temperature between valleys and mountain areas. A place I like to go in Shrewsbury in the summer is often 10 degrees cooler than Rutland.

NJ is pretty tame as far as weather goes (probably what helped it get its Garden State nickname before it was paved over with so much development).

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
One other thing non-Vermonters might want to know about is the high cost of heating here. This is the only state I've lived in where the thermostats are often set at 60 degrees in the winter and everyone wears long underwear all day. It wasn't hard for us to make that adjustment though. Keeping a warm house is expensive.
True. I once met someone who heated with wood but wouldn't fire up the stove unless the indoor temperature dipped below 55 degrees. She and her family wore hats indoors.

We save money by having a thermostat on a timer so we're not heating the house above 60 when no one is home. But when we're home it's 65; I don't want to freeze in my own home, especially when I get out of the shower. When my youngest was a newborn my husband even cranked the heat up to 68.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 PM

444 posts, read 788,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
True. I once met someone who heated with wood but wouldn't fire up the stove unless the indoor temperature dipped below 55 degrees. She and her family wore hats indoors.

We save money by having a thermostat on a timer so we're not heating the house above 60 when no one is home. But when we're home it's 65; I don't want to freeze in my own home, especially when I get out of the shower. When my youngest was a newborn my husband even cranked the heat up to 68.
Last winter I usually wore a hat indoors. Sometimes I wear gloves in bed so that my hands stay warm while I'm reading. But we're not exactly poor, so we may turn up the heat a little next winter; that was a trial run.

Real Vermonters don't seem to mind the cold. I have a neighbor kid who goes to school in January wearing shorts and no coat.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:54 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
WI is much worse than VT unless you're on top of our tallest mountains, or, in a cold year, some parts of the NEK can be brutally cold to people not used to it (I kind of like 30 below). Brattleboro has pretty mild weather IMHO. There can be 10 or more degrees difference in temperature between valleys and mountain areas. A place I like to go in Shrewsbury in the summer is often 10 degrees cooler than Rutland.

NJ is pretty tame as far as weather goes (probably what helped it get its Garden State nickname before it was paved over with so much development).
x2

Love the 30 below mornings we have in the NEK. I would rather it be 30 below and covered in ice and snow than 30 and walking the line between rain and snow all winter (which is closer to NJ's version of winter).

Last year was a big old pusscake of a VT winter......cold yes, but no snow to speak of. Economy needs snow.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,344 times
Vermont winters can't be all that bad considering every winter weekend 75% of New Jersey heads this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont