Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,835,876 times

Advertisements

Sorrell became AG mainely due to his family's Vermont political pedigree. Not to impressed with his track record as AG. Donovan also has his own family's Vermont political assets helping his public career. Sorrell didn't get the job done IMHO, let's let the new kid give it a shot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:52 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,832,735 times
I am not necessarily opposed to Donovan having an opportunity to run at some point, I don't think he is qualified/ready now. As I previously mentioned, I am not impressively delighted w/how some significant cases, specifically domestic violence and sexual assault, have been handled, or not, and especially from the perspective of the victim. I think in this type of a situation, with the difficult emotional part that a victim goes through and endures, he has a bit more to learn and it is important that he does learn it. Sorrell gets it and so do the assistant attorney general[s].

Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Did anyone watch the VPT debate last night and if so, opinions?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,668,316 times
I don't think Sorrell has done a horrendous job or even a bad job for that matter. I think his biggest issue is he has lost touch with people. There are multiple points that can be made concerning this. The one recently discussed is the states growing drug problem, specifically prescription drug abuse and dealing. This was discussed with two past and present mayors of St Albans. The Quote-“I was disappointed that during my six years as mayor, I never had any contact from Attorney General Sorrell,” Manahan said. “I think the highest ranking member in the Vermont law enforcement community should have offered his support in our efforts fighting the prescription drug epidemic our community was facing.”
I would not say Sorrell is doing a bad job and he doesn't have any single big issue against him. He has multiple problems. He failed to get the endorsement of the state committee, failing to use a union print shop (they've done printing for unions and Democratic candidates all over the state for many years), failing to make courtesy calls to state committee members, not showing up for meetings. To quote an editor (I remember the persons name, sorry!) "It's the appearance that he's lost a step, he's lost his edge, and he's taking his position for granted. Fair or not, this is the narrative that's taking over the race."

Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Interesting comments / assessment. He has certainly been over the past year, for sure.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,543,197 times
I wonder how many remember this little gem from 2010:

VPR News: Targeting Obesity, Sorrell Proposes 'Soda Tax'

I never knew the AG is responsible for proposing taxes and controlling what people eat Mayor Bloomberg style...

Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,835,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I wonder how many remember this little gem from 2010:

VPR News: Targeting Obesity, Sorrell Proposes 'Soda Tax'

I never knew the AG is responsible for proposing taxes and controlling what people eat Mayor Bloomberg style...
lol yea that was a good one for sure but it still doesn't make him a "scumbag".

Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,543,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
lol yea that was a good one for sure but it still doesn't make him a "scumbag".
No but supporting cops who are way out of line does.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 AM

No but supporting cops who are way out of line does.

I don't think he supports all cops....perhaps that might be too much of a blanket statement?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM

I listened intently to the recent debate on VPT between Sorrell and Donovan. I think Sorrell did an excellent job ‘staying on point’; however, there were times that I think his opponent was more committed to minimize and/or negate much of the work that is being done and has been done in the AG’s office. Not to minimize the seriousness of Yankee [both in and out of the Court arenas] nor wind energy, there are so many additional significant issues, cases and successes in the AG’s office which seem to be ignored, those that cannot be ignored. There are two general sections in the AG's office: civil and criminal and he has been successful in both arenas. Has he lost a few cases, of course; it happens. However, to focus more on the few losses rather than the myriad of successes is unreasonable and unprofessional, in my opinion.

Personally, I abhor negative campaigns and I do not understand the necessity of them other than to attempt to cloud and/or manipulate issues, create sensationalism, stir up emotions and to disguise and color the facts. Bill has, in my opinion, maintained a clean and positive campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: