Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 AM

14 posts, read 28,799 times

Advertisements

Is there anything new on the biotech starting up in Newport? Are they still planning to open sometime this year?

I was hoping there might be somebody from Newport on the forum, who may have been by the building site. Just wondering if the project is still moving forward. There was a bunch of hooplah in the news about a year ago, and then . . . silence. I'm in Maidstone, and looking for a biotech job. I know, I should move to Boston or Burlington, but for personal reasons I need to stay where I am (I'm not much of a city person anyway!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
Good question. The facility isn't visible from the road. It's a road I drive a few times a week, but I haven't seen anything that resembles activity. Googling AnC Bio Newport didn't render anything beyond the initial news items from Jan/Feb 2010. I haven't heard anyone talking about the subject in quite a while either.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM

So I took a ride over there this evening and here's what the proposed site looks like. It's presently being used by NEK Human Services. That's their van parked out front. The building is in a nice location on a hill with views of Lake Memphremagog. It was/is owned by Bogner who used to make high-end skiing apparel there back when we still used to make things in this country.

But right now there's nothing visible to indicate that anything is happening with the biotech firm. No construction gear anywhere. The only things outside are a few dilapidated picnic tables. So unless they're looking at a different facility - and there haven't been any news reports of such - there's not a lot to get excited about. Bill Stenger's name (president of Jay Peak) has been linked to this project and he's proven to be a real doer with the ski area, but I wouldn't plan on anything happening here in the near future. I kinda hope I'm proven wrong on that because we could really use some decent jobs in this area.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,080 times
That's too bad that it appears to have stalled. As you said, it would be nice to have someone invest in the area and bring in some good solid jobs, and I'm guessing a good mix of job types as well.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Big news announcement this week with Shumlin, Leahy and Jay Peak's Bill Stenger. Apparently this is going to happen in 2013 using the same foreign investment program that financed Jay Peak's recent expansion. They're still talking 200 new jobs in Newport.

VPR News: Biotech Company To Open In Newport With 200 Jobs

http://newportvermontdailyexpress.co...-biotech-plant

Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,122 times
There is a big article on it as well in last week's Barton Chronicle.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM

Progress on this project sure is painfully slow. I ended up taking a job down in Boston in the meantime. I'm grateful to even have a job in the current economy, but I'd rather be back home in the NEK. There's a severe lack of common sense and common courtesy down here in the flatlands. I hope they actually get it up and running next year, so I can come back north.

Any word on when they'll start hiring?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:56 PM

That would be a heck of a commute from Maidstone, Nutsosa.

I drive by the entrance a few times a week. The building isn't visible from the road, but NEK Human Services still has their sign out front. On Friday I almost got whacked by a female employee yakking on her cell phone when she pulled out of there. I read the two local papers daily and the Chronicle each week and haven't seen anything regarding the biotech firm. So no. Sorry - nothing new to report.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 AM

I rented an apartment in Boston. I go home to Maidstone on Friday night, and head south again on Sunday night. Apparently I'm an "extreme commuter"

Thanks for the intel! I'll keep scanning the papers too.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
There was an interview on WCAX with Bill Stenger about 6 months ago. He advised that at that time they were lining up the foreign investors for the project. Orleans County which both Newport and Jay Pk are in is the most economically depressed county in the state so it was a good fit for the project.

One thing I noticed from the VP article is that Leahy said this was the largest EB-5 project in Vermont with the addition of 200 jobs. Sorry, Senator but the Jay Pk EB-5 project produced 2,000 jobs. Perhaps his staff hit the wrong button on their calculator, probably made in China lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont