Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,553,457 times

Advertisements

Not 100% sure about clothes but i think you are right.

Quote:
Sales tax
Vermont's general sales tax rate is 6 percent. The tax is imposed on sales of tangible personal property, amusement charges, fabrication charges, some public utility charges and some service contracts.
Effective Jan. 1, 2007, the tax rate to be applied for local option purposes is determined by the delivery location of the item purchased, rather than the sale's origin. For example, a seller in Montpelier, which has no local option tax, would be required to collect the tax on a taxable item shipped or delivered to a buyer in Burlington. More on this and other sales tax changes can be found here.
A use tax is imposed on the buyer at the same rate as the sales tax. The buyer pays the use tax when the seller fails to collect the sales tax or the items are purchased from a source where no tax is collected. The use tax applies to items taxable under the sales tax rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 08:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,833,888 times
Here is the official lingo......don't feel bad most Vermonters I come across are unaware as well. The craziest part is that not all stores are aware of the change either. If you get charged sales tax you might mention it although they probably won't believe you.... :wink:

All clothing and footwear is tax exempt, regardless of price. (Under current Vermont law, only clothing and footwear items priced more than $110 are taxed, amounting to $1.7 million a year in sales tax revenue, according to the Joint Fiscal Office.)

Here is the full article. The clothing exemption was a result of the 19 state tax change bill passed late last year mostly having to do with taxing online sales.

Taxing times: Times Argus Online

Last edited by MRVphotog; 10-28-2007 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,553,457 times
sweet.

Living on the border I get a lot of NH coworkers and friends bring up the sales tax issue, painting it as some broad, all consuming weight upon Vermonters. That's simply untrue. The only time I give a thought to sales tax is when I buy a car... other then that it's pretty much a non-issue for me.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 AM

23,617 posts, read 70,547,084 times
That change in tax rules is nuts, and makes any business that doesn't ask for the residence of a customer a lawbreaker. If I lived in Burlington and bought items at a store in Montpelier, and was charged more tax because of delivery to my place of residence, I'd cancel the sale and pick up the item myself. As a business owner, I would be livid about the extra paperwork involved.

While I'm on the subject of sales tax... I remember when Vermont first instituted the 3% sales tax. Now, in theory, if sales tax reflects the costs of goods, isn't it automatically increasing at the rate of inflation? At 6%, the rate has doubled over the rate of inflation. I'm seeing areas of the country now with 10% sales tax and I expect it to go higher unless people start taking their governments to task for overspending. Maybe that third party candidate is right. This can't continue indefinitely. The logical conclusion will be people paying 100% tax and being on the government dole because they can't pay their bills.

Actually, what might be needed is an ammendment to the U.S. Constitution, that the TOTAL tax burden on any citizen through direct or indirect taxes or government programs like social security not be more than 33% of earnings, and that all tax collected in excess of that amount be returned.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,484 times
Hello all
Does anyone know about Brighton VT

Old 12-09-2007, 04:43 PM

87 posts, read 119,629 times
There should be a mandate that people grow their own food, and make their own clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont