U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 16,386 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the middle of making a relocation decision now that our house has sold down south. Our families are spread out between CT and NY, so I am trying to see if there are any VT towns (aside from Burlington, as it is just too far north for us) that might fit the description of what we are looking for in no particular order (knowing that we likely won't find a place that will hit ALL of these, but maybe most??).

Progressive/Sustainable
Eco Friendly, “Go Green”, good recycling program
Health Conscious
Family-friendly
Farmers Markets
Organic/natural food store
Outdoor activities like kayaking, skiing, biking, hiking
Green space-parks, trails
Culture-library, theatre, concert space, galleries, live music, bars
Safe, low crime rate
Pedestrian friendly
Historic-brick buildings, old architecture
“Foodie” environment-fun, ethnic places to eat
Community events-fairs, parades, seasonal activities, festivals, historic events
Cute main street with shops, bookstore, ice cream, walkable, cafes, coffee shop
Good schools/sports teams
Close proximity to a lake

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 AM

3,423 posts, read 9,473,886 times
Brattleboro fits that description.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 32,007,193 times
Chester is much smalller than Brattleboro but touches on a number of your points. It is relatively close to some of the other things. The school district is supposedly good, but small.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:35 PM

5,440 posts, read 15,844,044 times
Montpelier although I don't know about the schools.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:39 PM

10,855 posts, read 5,717,409 times
Bennington & Brattleboro would fit those descriptors (both in the south, nearer to borders with other states such as NY/CT)

Old 05-12-2013, 03:33 AM

5,440 posts, read 15,844,044 times
I'd guess Middlebury could also fit it.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM

63 posts, read 128,789 times
Middlebury. Someone mentioned Chester, but you may find them very cool to outsiders. It is a very clique-y town. I grew up there and still live 10 minutes away.
Middlebury is a vibrant town that meets all your requirements, even parks, which are not so common in VT since the whole state is a park. At least in the sense of parks in other states. 1/2 between Rutland and Burlington, awesome college, a great foodie place, and safe and friendly.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 PM

30 posts, read 77,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Brattleboro fits that description.
Was going to say Brattleboro, too.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 32,007,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiplarue View Post
Middlebury. Someone mentioned Chester, but you may find them very cool to outsiders. It is a very clique-y town. I grew up there and still live 10 minutes away.
Middlebury is a vibrant town that meets all your requirements, even parks, which are not so common in VT since the whole state is a park. At least in the sense of parks in other states. 1/2 between Rutland and Burlington, awesome college, a great. foodie place, and safe and friendly.
Funny you say that. I came to Chester as an outsider and have felt welcomed and warmly received. Is it possible that as an outsider I had the advantage of starting from square one as opposed to someone whose family might have had issues over the course of time?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM

63 posts, read 128,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Funny you say that. I came to Chester as an outsider and have felt welcomed and warmly received. Is it possible that as an outsider I had the advantage of starting from square one as opposed to someone whose family might have had issues over the course of time?
You imply we had issues fitting in. But no. As locals we were fine. But I have seen time and again the treatment of new people, adults, kids in school. It can be rough. Socially, it can be a very tough place. I'm glad you had a good experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont