Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times

Advertisements

OK, so the 'dirty little secret' is out there. The iconic Maple Sugar man has been corrupted to help Rolling Stone drive home a point and ramp up sales. It's good to know that the first step has been taken -- Shumlin admitted there's a problem. But is it beneficial when a national rag -- one which made one of the Boston terrorists seem like a boy band moppet -- makes it appear that the problem is with all of us?

Now the $64,000.00 question: Does anyone feel that this negative press could have negative consequences where tourism is concerned? Might people think twice before booking a hotel or inn for leaf peeping? Might campers look to NH instead?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times
If negative press were a concern then Shumlin most likely would not have devoted his state-of-the-state address to the heroin problem in VT. That certainly attracted national attention.

If anything, things like early morning shootings at hotels like the one in Brattleboro last week could make someone think twice about choosing VT as a tourist destination. Sure Shumlin knows this and knows that the drug problem could prove to be damaging to one of the state's most prominent economic sectors.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 AM

914 posts, read 2,920,044 times
Wow, talk about national negative publicity! I've had a lot of people over the past couple of months come up to me wanting to discuss Vermont's "heroin problem". Yikes! While I do applaud the candor and acknowledgment of serious problems, I think all of this attention could give people the wrong idea. It could scare off first-time visitors who might opt for NH or ME instead.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,669 times
Is the prospect of a few fewer tourists because of exposure to truth worse than covering it up?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Wow, talk about national negative publicity! I've had a lot of people over the past couple of months come up to me wanting to discuss Vermont's "heroin problem". Yikes! While I do applaud the candor and acknowledgment of serious problems, I think all of this attention could give people the wrong idea. It could scare off first-time visitors who might opt for NH or ME instead.
If they only knew that ME and NH have a heroin problem as well! Its everywhere unfortunately!

Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
If they only knew that ME and NH have a heroin problem as well! Its everywhere unfortunately!

Exactly. It isn't a VT problem, it is a problem everywhere.

Well, ok, some places are more focuses on meth than heroin... great.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Is the prospect of a few fewer tourists because of exposure to truth worse than covering it up?
At this point I think it can't be denied. For years there was a head in the sand mentality. I don't know if this is common to Vermont. I do remember that one of Shumlin's plans to improve the VT economy was to ask people to stop badmouthing the VT business climate.

Responsible politicians appeared to be in denial. It was if they didn't think VT citizens would welcome big city gangs and drugs with open arms and 100 % of the fault lies with people from out-of-state bringing it it. The other common argument was it's everywhere not just Vermont. However, VT doesn't have a tough policy on users or dealers. It's pretty common for people to be caught with huge quantities of drugs and weapons by the police and have judges set them free on bail. It's no wonder NJ gangs send kids up here as apprentice dealers.

Street shootings were evidently the wake up call and I think those who felt that "it couldn't happen here" only decided to take part in an open discussion when they saw their property values beng affected.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:46 PM

809 posts, read 998,375 times
The problem with drugs is their criminal status. Families with an alcoholic spouse/parent do not have to worry about their house being raided and that person arrested if they seek help for that person, and they don't shame their children into silence because of that fear. Pushers don't get rich selling liquor on the street, and dealers don't get into gun battles over turf and debts. Police and the courts arrest and punish people for drunken behavior.

Decriminalize substance abuse, regulate the production, distribution and marketing (don't let commercial companies do it; they'll encourage addiction) and let the police and courts deal with substance-induced misbehaviors.

Where this has been done, a slight spike in abuse has been followed by a very marked decline. As with universal health insurance coverage, Vermont could show America how to do it.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:52 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,669 times
It's common for cops to deny there's a gang problem in their area until gangs are firmly entrenched and they never leave.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
This is true without question, but what has already been pointed out is Vermont has this reputation or an air about it that everything is pure, simple and good. The issue is not only is this a problem everywhere, but Vermont has the highest heroin and drug use rate in the country (according to a recent report done by the federal government). There are many causes and some of the responsibility belongs to Vermont politicians.
cgregor makes a couple of good points, but the problem is we are never going to legalize heroin use. Heroin addiction is a completely different animal that pot use. It's a cheap drug and it's exreamly addicting. As cheap as it is, there is still a large amount of crime linked to it. The only way you could stop heroin related crime and have it legal is to give heroin away for free. Most heroin addicts are not functioning people who can maintain an average life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont