Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times

Advertisements

You read a LOT in this forum about Vermont's cost of living, terrible job market, low salaries, etc. and believe me, I see it and feel it to.

What I'm wondering is..... where is this mythical place with high paying jobs and low housing costs, low crime, great schools, etc.?

Honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:08 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times
I agree (again) Sporin.

My observation along these lines is that if VT had one less Month of Winter, ...we'd be overrun and I (for one) wouldn't be able to afford to live here...

It's a similar dynamic with all the other complaints - If they gave away food here, or paid really well at jobs - housing costs would be going up by double digits again rather than simply leveling off...

Cheers,
David Beckett

Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM

198 posts, read 802,191 times
The reality is that there are places that are better in those areas of concern. It is foolish to think any place is perfect, but if you do your homework you can find a place where there are less people reaching into your pocket.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:47 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times
True enough - There are vastly less expensive places to live. Warmer places too. But they don't offer the things I value here in Northwest VT.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:39 PM

155 posts, read 614,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
True enough - There are vastly less expensive places to live. Warmer places too. But they don't offer the things I value here in Northwest VT.
I have to agree with this. We HAVE done massive research over the last year before we made up our mind to move to Burlington in the spring. I have already lived in 5 other states (FL, PA, MD, TX, CA) Plus we looked everywhere from CA-ME again for months. After our visit in June I am sure what we are looking for can be found in that area. However it is not for everyone, there are pro's and con's and well....not everyone is looking for what we.

As for the high cost of living look elsewhere and try and find the same mix of environment, activities, schools, weather (yes some of us love all season and do not want to roast in the summer), schools, safety, lack of pollution....for the only slightly above national average cost of living. Plenty of much worse places have much high costs of living.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 PM

23 posts, read 80,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
You read a LOT in this forum about Vermont's cost of living, terrible job market, low salaries, etc. and believe me, I see it and feel it to.

What I'm wondering is..... where is this mythical place with high paying jobs and low housing costs, low crime, great schools, etc.?

Honestly.
Of places I have looked at: Huntsville, AL. Also some parts of Minnesota. Central and North Florida were that way until real estate prices spiked, had looked at Talahassee some years ago.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 AM

Just to clarify, I'm not complaining, just responding to all the "Vermonters Can't afford syrup" type of threads. I feel blessed to have a good job and a home I can afford but I do make significantly less then others in my field in other locals make. I think because I've lived in this general area my whole life I don't feel the "cost of living shock" as much as new transplants as it's simply the way it's always been. Does that make sense?

We'd love to move to a climate that is a bit milder but could never deal with the heat and humidity of the south.

As far as cost of living goes, the midwest looks good, parts of IN, KY, MO, OH, etc. have reasonable real estate costs still, good jobs, etc. I just can't bring myself to leave my beloved Green & White mountains.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:47 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
The new hot place seems to be North and South Carolina. The cost of living is much cheaper than the northeast. Actually if you read any of the national publications that do a yearly comparison they have a list of places with low cost of living.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:57 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
This is true, however I have heard so many complaints from people who have moved to both those states, saying they wished they'd never gone. And I've heard complaints ranging from traffic to unfriendly people to the weather and on and on...

It all boils down to what all of us know - do your research, pick where hopefully works best for you, and make the most of it.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 AM

I had friends who retired to the Raleigh, NC area from Milford NH, and while they LOVE the weather and low costs, they are appalled at the school system (1 is a teacher) and said they would NEVER live their if they had kids in school still.

I think we'd love CO but the CoL is worse then New England. We're very intrigued by the PacNW as well. We have friends in Portland, OR.

I I won the lottery today I'd live on the coast of Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont