Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM

28 posts, read 63,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Yea...electrical engineering is somewhat tough. I have a friend who does that and if he were to lose his job it would be tough to find another in this area.
That said...try:
UTC Aerospace in Vergennes
Husky in Milton
Weidmann in St. Johnsbury
Microstrain in Williston

Also...be sure to keep an eye on Seven Days Classifieds as they have the best job listings IMO.

AND..it really helps if you have a Vermont connection already. Not sure if you do but be sure to "play it up" so to speak no interviews etc. Its a small state where it seems that everyone knows everyone!

Thanks for the leads, vter! No VT connections, unfortunately. Plenty in upstate NY, but probably not much chance that will help.

I'd never heard of Seven Day Classifieds before--great lead. I've got it in my bookmarks now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 03:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFootprint View Post
Thanks for the leads, vter! No VT connections, unfortunately. Plenty in upstate NY, but probably not much chance that will help.
Why not relocate to upstate NY then? There are many opportunities for electrical engineers in that area.

Upstate NY is basically the same rural lifestyle you're hoping to find in VT and the cost of living is lower.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:47 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,549,099 times
There are some major differences between VT and NY. I could never live in NY.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:05 PM

129 posts, read 235,024 times
What are the major differences between VT and upstate NY?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
What are the major differences between VT and upstate NY?
There's major differences in the culture. There's a lot more freedom in Vermont with things like guns. There's also just a rather gritty feel to upstate NY that can be hard to put in words. NY is way more polluted than Vermont.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM

229 posts, read 318,596 times
Arctichomesteader,
Guns, really! You mean in NY they'll limit you to 5 or 10 rounds in a magazine while in Vermont you can have more? Wow! Choosing a place according to this criteria is mind boggling. I don't know anybody in any other industrialized democracies in the world would could have that kind of discourse. There are plenty of hunters in France, NOrway, Germany, Sweden, but I've never heard such a ...
Around Ithaca, NY feels very much like Vermont to me. I really don't see the difference. Actually if anything the farmers' market they have in Ithaca is something I've never seen in Vermont.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
My intent was NOT to feed the negativity. I do not appreciate though that my original post was truncated.
The only negativity I've read is towards upstate NY.

I made an sincere suggestion to the VT job shortage and wanting a lifestyle in a beautiful rural area.

Upstate NY is full of technology businesses----perfect employers for electrical engineers.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Arctichomesteader,
Guns, really! You mean in NY they'll limit you to 5 or 10 rounds in a magazine while in Vermont you can have more? Wow! Choosing a place according to this criteria is mind boggling. I don't know anybody in any other industrialized democracies in the world would could have that kind of discourse. There are plenty of hunters in France, NOrway, Germany, Sweden, but I've never heard such a ...
Around Ithaca, NY feels very much like Vermont to me. I really don't see the difference. Actually if anything the farmers' market they have in Ithaca is something I've never seen in Vermont.
Half of my gun collection is illegal in NY. A felony if I accidentally cross the state line while in the woods somewhere. No thanks. It's not just about hunting, and it's in our history in Vermont (an outlawed by NY private militia created this state). In VT if you want to have something for protection against a bear or coyote while hiking, you can just carry it. If you find yourself under threat of violence from a criminal, be it an ex or just a burglar or whatever, you can just get a gun and carry it. In NY you need to beg permission for a handgun permit and protection of your life is not deemed a valid reason by many of their judges for having such. It's a completely different attitude and just the tip of the iceberg in the cultural differences between the two states. NY started out essentially like a feudal society of the middle ages, and continues to have a culture more like Europe, and that is why so many resisted NY. This is a very brief summary of history that can't be summed up in one post on city data forum but enough.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:01 PM

229 posts, read 318,596 times
Ah, yes, people carrying gun because they feel threatened! Again, to the risk of repeating myself, this is a preocuppation unique to America. Despite their extremely violent history, remember fascism in Italy, Spain and Germany, remember Easter Europe controlled by a police state until not too long ago, nobody there feels that when they get out of their home they must carry a gun. I mean, if you live in a place where you feel that way, may I suggest this is not home? That place might not really be working for you? I mean, really think about it! I live in the US and I've never felt that way. I've lived in Virginia, Illinois, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and now in DC and I've never felt that when I go for a walk after dinner, sometimes around 10 pm, I need a gun. In Illinois and MA I remember seeing wolves, coyotes in the wild, never felt I needed a gun and I'm here today to write these lines.
Guns are great. I have a friend, a wild life biologist who lives in Grafton, VT. A couple years ago a very young moose appeared in the town. He became the mascot of an area of the town. One day my friend found him dead riddled with .308 bullets in a ditch. Somebody just had fun killing it. Frankly, I dont' know anybody who was able, once, to protect himself with a gun. I know plently of people who just have "fun" shooting animals, killing boyfriends and girlfriend, committing suicide. Let me guess, I'm drifting out of topic.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Ah, yes, people carrying gun because they feel threatened! Again, to the risk of repeating myself, this is a preocuppation unique to America. Despite their extremely violent history, remember fascism in Italy, Spain and Germany, remember Easter Europe controlled by a police state until not too long ago, nobody there feels that when they get out of their home they must carry a gun. I mean, if you live in a place where you feel that way, may I suggest this is not home? That place might not really be working for you? I mean, really think about it! I live in the US and I've never felt that way. I've lived in Virginia, Illinois, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and now in DC and I've never felt that when I go for a walk after dinner, sometimes around 10 pm, I need a gun. In Illinois and MA I remember seeing wolves, coyotes in the wild, never felt I needed a gun and I'm here today to write these lines.
Guns are great. I have a friend, a wild life biologist who lives in Grafton, VT. A couple years ago a very young moose appeared in the town. He became the mascot of an area of the town. One day my friend found him dead riddled with .308 bullets in a ditch. Somebody just had fun killing it. Frankly, I dont' know anybody who was able, once, to protect himself with a gun. I know plently of people who just have "fun" shooting animals, killing boyfriends and girlfriend, committing suicide. Let me guess, I'm drifting out of topic.
Perhaps you will be happier remaining in DC if those are your feelings on both guns and hunting. I've been chased by a moose here before during the rut, I will keep my guns. Our Eastern coyotes are part wolf and have killed people in parts of their range. When they lose their fear of humans they becme dangerous. I shot two of them last Fall that had lost their fear and followed me in broad daylight a few times.

Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont