Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of used to kids getting out the last week in June anyhow. I don't really mind. Summer seems a bit too long, anyhow. It's good if they just get 2 months off.
As a former teacher I feel like 2.5 months is pushing it...the kids get restless and bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Interesting observation. Now I know that I just don't have lousy luck. It takes quite a bit of calling and prodding to get work done. The estimates, however, are done quickly, but then come the delays or lack of call backs. I suppose some of this could be related to a legitimate surplus of work and then again some of it could come from an attitude of we are the only game in town so competition is not a make or break issue in staying in business. The one thing that really angers me is that when work is done and is substandard requiring a return visit to fix something that should have been attended to in the first place.
Surprise. He cancelled again.

Yes, the unreturned calls add insult to injury.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:00 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
The way coming down right now, don't be surprised if school is canceled on Friday, too.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
Are you guys getting ice or snow? We're coming up tomorrow afternoon to take advantage of the great mountain conditions...

We're getting a combo of rain/sleet/snow right now down here...

Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Surprise. He cancelled again.

Yes, the unreturned calls add insult to injury.
This would actually be funny if it did not cause loss of money and time not to mention aggravation. I especially have found it amusing when I had a dryer repairman ask if I had a flashlight, the carpenter ask if I had the right nails to install plywood sheathing, and a plumber state that he could not properly install and fasten a shower drain because he did not have the right angle wrench. You have to wonder when these incidents pop up and the ads for these guys exclaim professional and expert repair. I guess this can happen anywhere, but so far I can only say it has only been in Vermont in my case.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
This would actually be funny if it did not cause loss of money and time not to mention aggravation. I especially have found it amusing when I had a dryer repairman ask if I had a flashlight, the carpenter ask if I had the right nails to install plywood sheathing, and a plumber state that he could not properly install and fasten a shower drain because he did not have the right angle wrench. You have to wonder when these incidents pop up and the ads for these guys exclaim professional and expert repair. I guess this can happen anywhere, but so far I can only say it has only been in Vermont in my case.
Now that is funny. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked for a flashlight or ladder.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,225 times
Quote:
Interesting observation. Now I know that I just don't have lousy luck. It takes quite a bit of calling and prodding to get work done. The estimates, however, are done quickly, but then come the delays or lack of call backs. I suppose some of this could be related to a legitimate surplus of work and then again some of it could come from an attitude of we are the only game in town so competition is not a make or break issue in staying in business. The one thing that really angers me is that when work is done and is substandard requiring a return visit to fix something that should have been attended to in the first place.
I've had at least one similar experience in NYC, even with all the competition here.

A contractor left his equipment in my garage and refused to move it. I guess he was using me for free storage. He also left a small mess in my yard. When I called to ask them to clean up and to remove the equipment from my garage, I got a sarcastic earful about how they were doing this, that and the other thing and they couldn't stop just because I needed some clean-up. I eventually had to involve my lawyer.

Maybe I would have gotten their stuff out of my garage faster if I had threatened to sell it when the abandoned property laws kicked in.

Of course, I could have avoided all this, plus what I believe to be unnecessary work, if I had simply called the Better Business Bureau ahead of time. I would have learned, as I learned when I called later, that this company had an "unsatisactory" rating, partially because of nonresponse to customer complaints. I would have known, from the beginning, to take my business elsewhere.

Well, this was one of my first experiences with a contractor, maybe even the first. I made mistakes. Anyway, even my lawyer said he had been taken by contractors.

After that experience, I have been much more careful in screening contractors. I prefer to hire BBB members, but even that is not a guarantee. But at least there is leverage if something goes wrong. I once had to use that leverage, and I got what I wanted.

I guess I can be more selective here in NYC than I'd be able to be in Vermont, since here there are so many businesses to choose from, and they all compete with one another.

I will miss that in Vermont. Without competition the customer has little leverage. But people still have lawyers, the BBB and the government. I read somewhere that Vermont takes care of its citizens. But I have also heard that workers in Vermont are often not reliable. They do things when they get around to them. If they have to deal with NYC transplants, I would imagine they have earplugs.

What do Vermonters do when they get bad service? There aren't a whole lot of similar businesses to defect to, and the people you are having trouble with almost certainly know that.

Last edited by arel; 12-13-2007 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 PM

We are getting off the original thread topic, but in reference to the BBB in Vermont they seem to be somewhat limited in their database and reports because I do check their listings. The BBB is basically a sounding board and I suppose at times they may be able to assist with complaints, but if it involves monetary loss you probably need to deal with it in the legal forum which often times is not worth the extra time and cost. The most basic way to deal with poor service is to never do business with them again and pass this information on. The problem here is that there really is not a very vocal forum where consumers can share both good and bad experiences. The home improvement industry is well known for shoddy operators so if you find someone that does good work and is fair I think it would be very worthwhile to be able to spread the news.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Back to the weather. Reports are that we should have an interesting next four days coming up. I guess southern Vt is getting a good dose of new snow currently and up my way looks like about 3 to 4 inches already. The TV weather reporter is already referring to Sunday as a coming Nor easter and some of us could see a potential foot of snow which then will be followed by some below zero temps. Global Warming anyone? The Dec temps to date have been 25% colder than normal. Anyway, the snow I like, the below zero stuff I can do without.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
Snow coming fast and furious in the Upper Valley, ugly time getting home for sure. Have a good 5" right now. Last I heard it's supposed to snow through tomorrow then clear for a bit, then start up again Sat. night-Sunday and get REALLY heavy.

We're flying out of Manch Saturday afternoon so I'm praying for a window in the weather so we can get to Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: