Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,939,095 times

Advertisements

Presently heavy snow at 10 p.m. My plow guy has bigger accounts than our driveway and by the time he got here today I had shoveled 2x and it was letting up at about 1 p.m. Tonight I shoveled 3 times without stopping as it was just coming down so hard. I'm sure there will be at least 8-10" in the morning. I hope it isn't more. Usually, I would have gone for a nice long walk this evening but I was pretty well spent.

I can only remember one year with this much snow before Christmas. That was 1990. We had a 3 foot storm the second week of November that knocked out power everywhere - and it all melted in about 2 weeks time. I got a feeling our present snow will be sticking around, though. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
OMG!!! Is that what you're paying for plowing? Is it a giant property?
Not sure maybe 100 yards?

It was $25 until this year. We've been paying $350 to $450 a year. This is an unusually expensive start for December. Actually, my bill might be a tad lower than stated because if the load isn't heavy, he'll only charge us $15. I talked to a guy in Milton and he pays $40 for a 40 yard driveway.

Last night I got home from work and made it up about 10 percent of my driveway. I couldn't even get to my my "bail out" section off to the side of the driveway. Wife came down with shovels, sand etc. Like a miracle, the plow guy game just as we started the routine. He did a great job and I drove right up.

Walked into our warm log cabin, settled in front of the fire with a good book and a glass of red wine and looked out the window and watched the snow falling. Now that's a real Vermont moment. Doesn't get any better.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,540 times
Wow. That is a gorgeous photo. Your experience sounds lovely!

Yesterday my husband and I walked downtown to run our errands. We walked into the wind all the way there while snow and sleet hit us in the face like little spikes. We could hardly see! We couldn't stop ourselves from laughing hysterically. We walked home with the wind at our backs, which was much easier. We got a decent workout for a few mile walk just because of the weather conditions, and there was almost no traffic on the roads. And we felt so good.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:22 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,876 times
Drove back home from Manchester, NH yesterday during the storm and while it took two hours longer than normal it was not that bad. Actually, I thought we were going to get more snow than we did. As far as driveways go I had to clear it yesterday and again today. The majority of my neighbors who pay to have it done still had not been plowed out by 11:00 am today. Don't mind the snow at all, but the single digit and below zero temps I could really do without.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,557 times
Stowe got two feet between Saturday and this morning...awesome mountain conditions. We were contemplating driving back down late yesterday, but I said forget it...no work for me today! It slowed down around lunch time, but then picked up again like crazy around 3pm...the wind last night and this morning was insane though.

Flu - glad you made it home alright...

Old 12-17-2007, 06:43 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,876 times
It was really windy at my place also and I am amazed that we never lost power this time around. The one positive aspect of the wind was that it blew quite a bit of the snow off the roof which is a benefit should we get hit with another storm that produces heavy wet snow. I kind of hope we end up having quite a bit more snow to see if we can set a new season record.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
The gondola at Loon in NH derailed near the summit from the winds yesterday stranding about 75 people for over an hour.

This morning all the lifts at the Bush were on winhold but by the afternoon all the lifts were spinning, winds died down abit and the snow was epic.

Another storm maybe this weekend. Best start for the Vermont ski business in years.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM

104 posts, read 491,713 times
I pay $25 a visit; however, he knows not to plow under 6inches of snow.... So far $125.00 this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont