Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:00 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,386,738 times

Advertisements

Vermont swept it under the rug for at least five years. Haven't you noticed that they shut down the rest areas on I-91 long ago? That was because they were being used for drug transactions. It finally got to the point where drug deals and shootings go down in broad daylight. I don't think Vermont has a choice now about sweeping it under the rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 AM

5,863 posts, read 5,323,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Thanks for chiming in. Do you live in Vermont? Is this based on first hand experience? Not trying to challenge you in any way........I just find it helpful if posters include this kind of info.

I have lived in Vermont for about 25 years. When I first arrived, I lived in the Brattleboro area. I got involved with someone who was into the drug scene back then. It was mainly coke-and I know for a fact that the coke was coming from Hartford. I no longer live in that area and I'm no longer involved with that person. Things could have changed since then. And no-I was not into coke.

Cat

Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,973,740 times
We moved here from NYC almost two years ago; while I've definitely seen evidence of drugs, it's not something I run into on a daily basis by any means. I think part of it is definitely related to the crowds/area/people you interact with, but at the same time, drug crimes do not discriminate - I know a lot of burglaries are drug related around here, and it's just something to watch out for.

All that being said, we don't have kids...I'm sure there are drugs all over the school system, but it was the same thing when I was in school and I never touched the stuff.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,673,249 times
It's not about the state economy being poorly run. Vermont is a rural state. That is the bottom line. Job opportunity in a rural state is not as good as states that have a larger population or states that can support larger business. There are things the state can do to make it easier for bigger business to stay or come to the state, but that is another topic. We don't have the population/money to compete with states like NY that can offer much more for good paying jobs. The state has changed in the past 20 years as well. When we first moved to the state property was cheap and only one of us had to work. Expenses have drastically gone up for us and both of us have to work.
As far as the drug topic. A good part of that relies on your parenting and involvement with your kids. We have 5 kids that have gone through and are going through the school system. That is where the majority of the influence is located for children. If both you and your wife have to work and the kids have less supervision, they are going to be at a higher risk of going down the wrong path. The discussion about drugs being everywhere is very true, but Vermont has a much larger problem than most other state. Why Vermont Has A Drug Problem - Business Insider The Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration conducted a survey that was discussed a short while ago. http://www.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH/2k1...011/index.aspx The alarming statistics were the 12+ year old child drug issues. The pot stats should not be considered because most people see no difference between pot and alcohol. The coke and heroin use is most alarming.
This does not mean every child or your child will go down this path. You need to carefully see how you and your family are going to fit in Vermont. If you find that both you and your wife need to work a job or yet worse, one of you working two jobs. Is the trade-off worth it? The advice many on this forum would give when people considered a move to Vermont or any other state was to look into finding a job that will give you the lifestyle you want. Don't move here and take less than what you want just to be here. Chances are you will probably not advance as quickly as you think. You will not enjoy life that much if all you are doing is trying to make ends meet. The quality of life for your family will not be any better as well if you aren't together as a family.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM

809 posts, read 1,001,870 times
Some good advice there, 68vette.

Support your community's local prevention education efforts, and if your community doesn't have them, create them.

Also, people can check out what Vermont kids are thinking about in terms of substance abuse by reading the Vermont Youth Risky Behavior Surveys (YRBS), published quarterly and annually online. Generally speaking, where an age cohort is at the present in terms of attitude and use is where that cohort will be four years later, so by looking at today's eighth-graders, you can see what the Class of 2018 will be inclined to do.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 PM

317 posts, read 749,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Wow. I feel like I'm being stalked. Anyway, the impression I'm getting is that there's an extreme problem with Heroin/Meth in Vermont......more so than in a place like Old Lyme, CT.....which is the thread you quoted me from. Yes, drugs are everywhere, but it sounds like it may be more of a problem in Vermont......especially with the harder drugs. It's something I've heard from quite a few people....which is why I'm concerned, and asking for info.

Common sense will tell you the problem is greater in CT just look at the population of each.

The July 1, 2011 population estimate for the state of Connecticut is 3,580,709.

So three and a half MILLION compared to a state with maybe what 640,000. Yes you are correct to be worried about the disparity in numbers. We in VT have so much greater issues with hard drugs as the good people of that bedroom community of NY called Connecticute.

On a side note everything your worried about (drugs) come up into Vermont Via NY/CT up through Springfield MA/ Holyoke MA up Rt 7 into the state of Vermont. On occasion they get lazy and take RT 91 to 89 but usually get busted on that route.

Open your eyes drugs are everywhere..PS don't ever go to Hawaii or Puerto Rico if drugs scare you, which according to you they don't "they are everywhere" - which they are.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:53 AM

53 posts, read 124,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
Common sense will tell you the problem is greater in CT just look at the population of each.

The July 1, 2011 population estimate for the state of Connecticut is 3,580,709.

So three and a half MILLION compared to a state with maybe what 640,000. Yes you are correct to be worried about the disparity in numbers. We in VT have so much greater issues with hard drugs as the good people of that bedroom community of NY called Connecticute.

On a side note everything your worried about (drugs) come up into Vermont Via NY/CT up through Springfield MA/ Holyoke MA up Rt 7 into the state of Vermont. On occasion they get lazy and take RT 91 to 89 but usually get busted on that route.

Open your eyes drugs are everywhere..PS don't ever go to Hawaii or Puerto Rico if drugs scare you, which according to you they don't "they are everywhere" - which they are.

Relax! I'm just asking some questions that everyone thinking of moving to Vermont are considering. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, and your snide comments are certainly uncalled for. I grew up right outside of Newark NJ, so I'm fully aware of the fact that there are problems everywhere. The fact that Vermont has such a small population, with such an intense reputation for heavy drug use, is quite alarming.....that's all I'm saying. If my children's chances of exposure to heroin and meth are greatly increased by moving to Vermont, then no thank you. I love Vermont, and am very disappointed that this issue is so prevalent.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:24 AM

809 posts, read 1,001,870 times
Family dynamics has a lot more to do with the children's attitude toward substance abuse than does a state's or neighborhood's reputation for leading them astray. Yours is the power to shape their future! You'll find plenty of resources in your chosen Vermont town to help you do what you want for them.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:16 AM

9,334 posts, read 16,717,959 times
Son has lived in the state close to 20 years. They live in Arlington with their three children. None of the children have been exposed to drugs, school is very good and a good sense of community. The "drug" problem is no worse in VT than any other state. VT is less populated so it appears to be worse than it is. I have not seen drug addicts roaming the streets or related crime issues.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM

317 posts, read 749,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Son has lived in the state close to 20 years. They live in Arlington with their three children. None of the children have been exposed to drugs, school is very good and a good sense of community. The "drug" problem is no worse in VT than any other state. VT is less populated so it appears to be worse than it is. I have not seen drug addicts roaming the streets or related crime issues.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont