Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 03:14 PM

809 posts, read 1,003,051 times

Advertisements

How well children do educationally is primarily determined by the household income level. If your husband is good at encouraging curiosity and creativity, he will be rewarded in just about any classroom-- in some, plentifully; in others, not that much, but the successes will keep him going despite the failures. (I would like our school board to look into adopting the Finnish model of education-- where the teachers are in charge and the board supports them-- but it's going to be a slow struggle.) There are a number of private schools in the state he might want to look into-- the Putney School, Saxton's River Academy and Kurn Hattin Children's Home are three in the southeast corner-- if he's interested in structure. As I had ten years of parochial education myself, I cannot recommend a church-affiliated school.

Don't settle for peaceful; first thing you know, you'll be spending your evenings watching nothing but sports on TV. Settle for happy-- the ability to exercise your vital talents in settings affording them sufficient room. Read up on all the cranks and misfits that made Athens such a great city-state, and then go and do likewise. I am sure you will find kindred spirits in St. J!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM

26 posts, read 31,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
How well children do educationally is primarily determined by the household income level. If your husband is good at encouraging curiosity and creativity, he will be rewarded in just about any classroom-- in some, plentifully; in others, not that much, but the successes will keep him going despite the failures. (I would like our school board to look into adopting the Finnish model of education-- where the teachers are in charge and the board supports them-- but it's going to be a slow struggle.) There are a number of private schools in the state he might want to look into-- the Putney School, Saxton's River Academy and Kurn Hattin Children's Home are three in the southeast corner-- if he's interested in structure. As I had ten years of parochial education myself, I cannot recommend a church-affiliated school.

Don't settle for peaceful; first thing you know, you'll be spending your evenings watching nothing but sports on TV. Settle for happy-- the ability to exercise your vital talents in settings affording them sufficient room. Read up on all the cranks and misfits that made Athens such a great city-state, and then go and do likewise. I am sure you will find kindred spirits in St. J!
Unless it is the World Cup, we do not watch much sports. We have the last 5 years watch OU play on TV, I am a Sooners fan, however, it does not dominate my life. Our close family friends son was a linebacker so we would watch him play. Otherwise he knows nothing about football or baseball. We are boring documentary watching people.

Speaking of we have actually watched many documentaries on schools in Finland, Sweeden, etc. We loved how the school was run, and he would definitely be able to teach in that kind of environment. I often wonder if Americans just don't get it when it comes to education. Hello, most people in most other countries speak at least 2 languages. Our public education system is the tail-end of the donkey on the world standard! I would love to see a European standard sweep this nation, but alas I will probably have to move to one of those European countries before we see that happen!

For the record, teachers should be in charge of their classrooms, it should be run like a college class and parents should pull their heads out. I am actually thinking about how incredible it would be if a state actually took a leap of faith and abandoned the American way and adopted the European or Finnish way of educating their students. I can imagine what could be accomplished. Maybe Vermont should be that bold statement.

We also watched a documentary where they gave Eurpean students in several countries our generalized tests. They thought it was juvenile! They said some of the math they learned in 3rd grade. That should be an eye-opener. European countries do not have magic well water they're drinking so if they can learn all these things so can our children.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:13 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,729,913 times
The American Lung Association used theory & made too many assumptions. There are not any known deaths as a direct result of cannabis ("marijuana") smoking, but many medical uses have been proven. You can read the studies on Granny Storm Crow's list, scroll down to cancer studies (alphabetical list). Cannabis has at least 8 things in it that fight cancer, but that is more effective with cannabis oil. Smoking it only reduces the chance of getting cancer by 10%-25%. Vaping or swallowing cannabis oil is best.

Besides the tar risk, cigarettes are almost always grown using cancer-causing fertilizers, herbicides & insecticides. So is much non-organic food. Cannabis is almost always grown organically. Was told the cancers aren't all caused by tar speech was in a national TV broadcast in 1990 by former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop. The organic cigarettes might also be missing some flavor enhancers, some of which might also cause cancer. At 1 point the govt was trying to get cig mfrs to list all ingredients on the pack. That might have been before they knew some have thousands of ingredients. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I'm opposed any type of inhaled smoke that has health implications. From the ALA: Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains cancer-causing chemicals. There are 33 cancer-causing chemicals contained in marijuana. Marijuana smoke also deposits tar into the lungs. In fact, when equal amounts of marijuana and tobacco are smoked, marijuana deposits four times as much tar into the lungs. This is because marijuana joints are un-filtered and often more deeply inhaled than cigarettes. Both are not good for you in the inhaled form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont