Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM

18,362 posts, read 26,570,273 times
I'm no fan of smoking, I grew up with a heavy smoking father, but the anti-smoking crusade is getting a bit absurd. If someone lights one up in my jeep with the top off on the highway, I'd have a hard time believing it's putting any occupants of the vehicle at risk. If a window in a truck or car is open and the smoke is leaving the window, well, I don't think there's much risk. If the vehicle is closed up pretty tightly, well yeah, that's a problem. But this law is just another of the absurd "zero tolerance" policies stripping everyone of freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM

317 posts, read 749,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
Good.
So pot good cigarets bad? Hot smoke in your lungs is a bad thing.You really don't have to research this simple statement. It's seen by most as common sense.

On the other hand lets get that revenue right. Just another pot for the likes of Shumlin to **** away on vacations with his girlfriend.His children should be proud.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
From time to time I read news reports of people pulled over on I-91 for traffic infractions, and some of these drivers were transporting heroin while their children were present in the vehicle.

Is it possible that one reason for this law would give LEO's the opportunity to pull over a vehicle for the smoking violation, and allow them to further observe what's in the vehicle? Or would that be an unintended (but beneficial) side effect?

No the people in Montpelier that are supposed to represent us are too stupid for that to be the case. Their first thought was the fine to increase revenue, expect that to be a non-stop theme going forward. Even more so than the past. They don't use the word tax though. I believe they refer to it as revenue enhancement now.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 AM

23,666 posts, read 70,710,652 times
Clearly no one on this thread ever drove down Pine Street in Burlington when the gasometer was still in existence.
I was grateful to smokers around there.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 AM

221 posts, read 347,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
So pot good cigarets bad? Hot smoke in your lungs is a bad thing.You really don't have to research this simple statement. It's seen by most as common sense.

On the other hand lets get that revenue right. Just another pot for the likes of Shumlin to **** away on vacations with his girlfriend.His children should be proud.
Pot actually has some benefits. Tobacco does not. I'm not saying smoking it is the best way to do it - but you don't always have a choice. Vaporizing is better, oils even better, there are many ways...but even if you have to smoke it, once or twice a day, it is still better than a pack of smokes.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,210 times
I'm not going to get into which one is better or worse. The American Lung Association has the comparison data. I do not like smoking and as part of profession, I'm opposed any type of inhaled smoke that has health implications. From the ALA: Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains cancer-causing chemicals. There are 33 cancer-causing chemicals contained in marijuana. Marijuana smoke also deposits tar into the lungs. In fact, when equal amounts of marijuana and tobacco are smoked, marijuana deposits four times as much tar into the lungs. This is because marijuana joints are un-filtered and often more deeply inhaled than cigarettes. Both are not good for you in the inhaled form.
My personal opinion, the Church Street ban on smoking is not for health reasons. Like I said, I'm opposed to smoking, but I feel the ban was put in place to keep a certain clientele from associating in the marketplace. Lets face it, the groups that are hanging out and smoking in the marketplace are not what helps attract and keep tourists in the marketplace. I think they are looking to keep the marketplace cleaner and hopefully cut down on the numbers of undesirables in the marketplace.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:39 PM

True but you will **** off all those Canadian tourist. I really could care less, I feel smokers have NO rights. I hated even being on an elevator with someone who just had a butt.

Funny how things have changed my father smoked THREE packs of Kents a day and at 13 years old I was designated to go to the variety store three different times each day to get them, I guess in his mind each time was going to be the last...he died of Parkinson's not knowing anything. His wife, not my mother would get a baby sitter so she could go out and enjoy her life..didn't want him to die because a lot of money would go with him and did.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:08 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
True but you will **** off all those Canadian tourist. I really could care less, I feel smokers have NO rights. I hated even being on an elevator with someone who just had a butt.

Funny how things have changed my father smoked THREE packs of Kents a day and at 13 years old I was designated to go to the variety store three different times each day to get them, I guess in his mind each time was going to be the last...he died of Parkinson's not knowing anything. His wife, not my mother would get a baby sitter so she could go out and enjoy her life..didn't want him to die because a lot of money would go with him and did.
Sorry about your father. My parents smoked Kents as well. I remember going into the grocery store and buying cigarettes from the vending machine for them. Both stopped smoking eventually. My dad passed away a few years ago, but his lungs were not effected/damaged from 60 years of 2 packs/day. He had a pulmonary function test done prior to his passing and the results were normal for his criteria.
He did the best thing for me when it came to smoking. He didn't want me to make the same mistake and start. I was about 12 and thought it would be cool to take a pack and smoke a few in the woods with my neighbor. Someone told my mother and of course my dad found out. He came home and didn't yell at me or ground me (or smack my tail) as I expected. He grabbed a pack of cigarettes and took me outside. He said "If you want to smoke, then let's smoke." He made me smoke the whole pack in front of him. I was green and puked my brains out for hours. That was the last time I touched a cigarette.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Sorry about your father. My parents smoked Kents as well. I remember going into the grocery store and buying cigarettes from the vending machine for them. Both stopped smoking eventually. My dad passed away a few years ago, but his lungs were not effected/damaged from 60 years of 2 packs/day. He had a pulmonary function test done prior to his passing and the results were normal for his criteria.
He did the best thing for me when it came to smoking. He didn't want me to make the same mistake and start. I was about 12 and thought it would be cool to take a pack and smoke a few in the woods with my neighbor. Someone told my mother and of course my dad found out. He came home and didn't yell at me or ground me (or smack my tail) as I expected. He grabbed a pack of cigarettes and took me outside. He said "If you want to smoke, then let's smoke." He made me smoke the whole pack in front of him. I was green and puked my brains out for hours. That was the last time I touched a cigarette.
Thanks, I often wonder about all the toxic chemicals in the butts and if that contributed to the
Alzheimer's that he lived with for a long time. My Nephew saw him just before he died in a nursing home I think; he was about 10 years old at the time and I recently had a talk with him about being born as a little baby and basically reverting back to that form if you are "lucky?" enough to live a long enough life.

My father had some serious issues with physerious like I've never seen in my life and as a kid I heard it was hereditary and I thanked god for years about dodging that bullet. But honestly they still know little about that issue. He would sit in his chair watching TV and at the end of the night there was a pile of white flakes from his constant scratching his legs all night. Scary stuff really, they know as much about that now as they did 40 years ago...nada I think the Korean war really messed him up.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,802,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
My personal opinion, the Church Street ban on smoking is not for health reasons. Like I said, I'm opposed to smoking, but I feel the ban was put in place to keep a certain clientele from associating in the marketplace. Lets face it, the groups that are hanging out and smoking in the marketplace are not what helps attract and keep tourists in the marketplace. I think they are looking to keep the marketplace cleaner and hopefully cut down on the numbers of undesirables in the marketplace.
I have to agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont