Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:51 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,120,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
Smokers will use every excuse. That's why it's a disease.
Will use every excuse for what?

I'm trying to make a point about the slippery slope concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:02 PM

221 posts, read 347,752 times
Every excuse well I can't leave the house because I gotta watch my kids cause I'm such a great parent forget the fact that I smoke in the house but that's only cause I gotta watch them. Well you know what? If you have no one else in the house to watch them while you go out to smoke, don't smoke.

And this is just one example out of thousands. Smokers make excuses about anything like classic traditional addicts - drug addicts, alcoholics, it's all the same. Everyone is against them, nobody understands them, we're trying to take away their freedoms, they are doing nothing wrong, etc etc.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Every excuse well I can't leave the house because I gotta watch my kids cause I'm such a great parent forget the fact that I smoke in the house but that's only cause I gotta watch them. Well you know what? If you have no one else in the house to watch them while you go out to smoke, don't smoke.

And this is just one example out of thousands. Smokers make excuses about anything like classic traditional addicts - drug addicts, alcoholics, it's all the same. Everyone is against them, nobody understands them, we're trying to take away their freedoms, they are doing nothing wrong, etc etc.
Let me ask you once again. Do you think that a parent who sits in their screened-in porch and smokes with their 2-year-old toddler present should have their children taken away?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:27 PM

I don't have all the info I need in order to answer your question. I don't know how big the porch is, how much smoke it holds in, how close the toddler is to the smoker, if that smoker has the option to go right outside the porch and watch the toddler from there or not, etc. Generally speaking, if the toddler has toxic smoke all around them, then it is the same as smoking in the house.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I don't have all the info I need in order to answer your question. I don't know how big the porch is, how much smoke it holds in, how close the toddler is to the smoker, if that smoker has the option to go right outside the porch and watch the toddler from there or not, etc. Generally speaking, if the toddler has toxic smoke all around them, then it is the same as smoking in the house.
. . . and they should be taken away from their parents?

What do you believe should be done to pregnant women who smoke?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM

75 posts, read 120,905 times
Thumbs up Maybe other states will follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It does seem harsh but children have no choice other than to ride along with mom or dad. As someone who grew up with a smoking parent and developed asthma, I have to side with the children whose lungs are being damaged by a nicotine addicted parent. Dad now has COPD. Both his COPD and my asthma could have been avoided. He had a choice to smoke, I didn't have a choice where breathing 2nd hand smoke was concerned.

It is lousy that common sense has to be legislated, but in the long run, preventing any 2nd hand smoke related illness now will save the taxpayers a lot more money long term.
I couldn't agree more. I can't think of a more egregious source of second-hand smoke than someone smoking in a car. Small children are much more likely to develop all manner of smoking-related illnesses this way, and I don't think my state is overstepping its' bounds by enacting such a law.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo2705 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I can't think of a more egregious source of second-hand smoke than someone smoking in a car. Small children are much more likely to develop all manner of smoking-related illnesses this way, and I don't think my state is overstepping its' bounds by enacting such a law.
Do you think that a parent who sits in their screened-in porch and smokes with their 2-year-old toddler present should have their children taken away?

That's where this is headed, my fellow American.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo2705 View Post
I'd be interested to know what you think should be done with pregnant women who smoke.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
. . . and they should be taken away from their parents?

What do you believe should be done to pregnant women who smoke?
Do you think parents who beat their children should have them taken away from them? The smoker is basically beating their kid. When they grow up, they will end up with a slew of problems including but not limited to asthma, or possibly even cancer. Why would anyone want to do that to their kids?

Pregnant women? Well, you can't really do anything to them. But I think a pregnant woman who smokes doesn't deserve the right to ever even be able to give birth.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Do you think parents who beat their children should have them taken away from them? The smoker is basically beating their kid. When they grow up, they will end up with a slew of problems including but not limited to asthma, or possibly even cancer. Why would anyone want to do that to their kids?

Pregnant women? Well, you can't really do anything to them. But I think a pregnant woman who smokes doesn't deserve the right to ever even be able to give birth.
Yes. I do think that parents who beat their children should have them taken away.

No. I do not think that parents who smoke around their children should have their children taken away. (Incidentally, I'm glad that I wasn't taken away from my parents because they smoked around me.)

Do you REALLY think that parents who smoke around their children should have their children taken away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont