Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:21 PM

26 posts, read 31,306 times

Advertisements

Wow, very interesting thread. I, for one, would like to see these kinds of bans in all states. I grew up with both my parents smoking. I hated it. My mother would yell at me for trying to roll the window down because it was cold out side (obviously, in the winter). There is not much that irritates me more than having to smell smoke or people that smell like an ashtray in public.

I do NOT think it is ok to subject other people to your poor choices! Why? Common sense, it offends people. There are many things that offend people. Bad hygiene odor! It offends us but can't kill us! Stinky perfume, yeah it is horrid, but again can't harm us. Smokers should use common sense and smokers etiquette. Just because you are 'outside' doesn't mean that the smell and smoke does not travel.

It is disgusting to me and I loathe it. If you are ignorant enough to smoke with your kids in the car, window down or up. My mother smokes like a freight train! It doesn't matter if she rolls the window down, it DOES NOT matter, the smoke is not sucked out without any smell of it being inhaled in any passenger in the car. I know for a fact. You come out smelling horrible. I do NOT let my children go anywhere with her because she refuses to abide by my rules of no smoking in the car with them. So, tell me how it is ok for any smoker to invade my breathing space?

Children should be kept safe from this if the parents aren't smart enough or CARE enough not to do it around their children or in the car. At least in a home kids can go to another room, it still gets to them but not as concentrated as being stuck in a car with a disgusting smoker. If parents can be in trouble for a whole miriad of absurd things, like not vaccinating if they choose not to, then they should about smoking. It is a danger to kids. Second-hand smoke kills. Why in the world would you want to do that to your children?

All the smokers I know, and that is a lot do not want to be bothered by going outside, maybe it is cold, rainy, snowing, or unmercifully, disgustingly hot and humid like here in Ok, so they do not wish to get up walk the few steps to the door to go outside away from all non-smokers. Plus, for some reason they think they are ENTITLED to smoke if they choose. Yep, it is your choice but I am also entitled and EXPECT to have clean breathing air free of your disgusting habit!!

I actually get incredibly angry and usually say something, especially people smoking in front of a door of an establishment, when you walk by you are met with a blast of smoke. I am not violent and wouldn't punch anyone but it incites a feeling inside of me that I would like to! Hello you idiot, why don't you move!! Go around the corner away from everyone!

Seriously, smokers need to get a clue. For whatever reasons it has come up in Vermont for a vote or possible vote, I wholeheartedly believe kids and non-smoking adults will be better off. I think if San Francisco can do it and still thrive, Vermont can too! I loved visiting San Francisco, it was nice being outside and walking around the whole time and not having to smell that smell! My mom hated it, I danced a small *** on the inside at her sheer aggravation at the law. I said to myself muwahahahahahaha! I don't have to deal with that today!!!

If you smoke do not do it at all around your children. My brother and sister-in-law smoked for years, never in their car and never in their home, ever! They had smoking etiquette, if you don't have any, get some and be respectful of others!! It is not rocket science folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Let me ask you once again. Do you think that a parent who sits in their screened-in porch and smokes with their 2-year-old toddler present should have their children taken away?
I do think even that parent can and should step outside of the porch, able to still see the toddler and then have their cancer stick. They should make every effort to do so. My brother and sister-in-law have finally quit within the last couple years. Thank goodness. They have smoked since their kids were littles. Never in the car and never in the house, ever!! Even when they were small, even when noone else was home. You make adjustments, maybe you don't smoke a whole cigarette, maybe you leave the blinds open to see them in the living room. Noone is saying walk outside with no precautions, I think some people like to argue stupid and absurd things. If you walk outside for any reason for a few minutes with small children at home you should have precautions, blinds open, check regularly. Use common sense. I think most smokers do NOT use common sense, they just want to find any and every excuse. Well, there isn't a valid one. It can kill your children, cause them many diseases and problems, why would you want to do that to them or anyone for that matter? They do not have a choice.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM

7,288 posts, read 4,120,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevecappai View Post
Wow, very interesting thread. I, for one, would like to see these kinds of bans in all states. I grew up with both my parents smoking. I hated it. My mother would yell at me for trying to roll the window down because it was cold out side (obviously, in the winter). There is not much that irritates me more than having to smell smoke or people that smell like an ashtray in public.
If this ban passes it won't be long before it's illegal to smoke in your own house. Child protective services will get involved. Do you wish that CPS had come and removed you from your parents? This is where things are headed.

Quote:
I do NOT think it is ok to subject other people to your poor choices! Why? Common sense, it offends people. There are many things that offend people. Bad hygiene odor! It offends us but can't kill us! Stinky perfume, yeah it is horrid, but again can't harm us. Smokers should use common sense and smokers etiquette. Just because you are 'outside' doesn't mean that the smell and smoke does not travel.
Are you contending that brief outdoor exposure to secondhand smoke is any more harmful that a host of other environmental toxins, like exhaust from an automobile?

Quote:
It is disgusting to me and I loathe it. If you are ignorant enough to smoke with your kids in the car, window down or up. My mother smokes like a freight train! It doesn't matter if she rolls the window down, it DOES NOT matter, the smoke is not sucked out without any smell of it being inhaled in any passenger in the car. I know for a fact. You come out smelling horrible. I do NOT let my children go anywhere with her because she refuses to abide by my rules of no smoking in the car with them. So, tell me how it is ok for any smoker to invade my breathing space?
It is your prerogative to prohibit your children from riding in a car with your chain-smoking mother. What's the problem?

Quote:
Children should be kept safe from this if the parents aren't smart enough or CARE enough not to do it around their children or in the car. At least in a home kids can go to another room, it still gets to them but not as concentrated as being stuck in a car with a disgusting smoker. If parents can be in trouble for a whole miriad of absurd things, like not vaccinating if they choose not to, then they should about smoking. It is a danger to kids. Second-hand smoke kills. Why in the world would you want to do that to your children?
Would you be for a law that bans smoking in a house with children? What about a screened-in front porch? What about pregnant women? How far would you go to protect someone else's children? Should the children be placed in state custody?

Quote:
All the smokers I know, and that is a lot do not want to be bothered by going outside, maybe it is cold, rainy, snowing, or unmercifully, disgustingly hot and humid like here in Ok, so they do not wish to get up walk the few steps to the door to go outside away from all non-smokers. Plus, for some reason they think they are ENTITLED to smoke if they choose. Yep, it is your choice but I am also entitled and EXPECT to have clean breathing air free of your disgusting habit!!
Are you talking about when you're in a smoker's house? Or a public place? Would you be in favor of a repeal on the indoor smoking ban for certain bars, so that the smoke can be contained?

Quote:
I actually get incredibly angry and usually say something, especially people smoking in front of a door of an establishment, when you walk by you are met with a blast of smoke. I am not violent and wouldn't punch anyone but it incites a feeling inside of me that I would like to! Hello you idiot, why don't you move!! Go around the corner away from everyone!
So you want them never to be inside, only outside, but not just outside, around the corner. How far away would make you happy?

Do you think honestly think you will become ill if you are briefly exposed to secondhand smoke outside every now and then? What about smoke from fireplaces? Car exhaust? Fumes from bleach and various detergents?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:23 PM

221 posts, read 347,752 times
Quote:
Yes. I do think that parents who beat their children should have them taken away.

No. I do not think that parents who smoke around their children should have their children taken away. (Incidentally, I'm glad that I wasn't taken away from my parents because they smoked around me.)

Do you REALLY think that parents who smoke around their children should have their children taken away?
Do you REALLY think parents that beat their children should have their children taken away? why? Isn't that an overreach of govt? Aren't they THEIR children? They gave birth to them. They have the right to do what they want.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:25 PM

221 posts, read 347,752 times
Quote:
If this ban passes it won't be long before it's illegal to smoke in your own house. Child protective services will get involved. Do you wish that CPS had come and removed you from your parents? This is where things are headed.

Are you contending that brief outdoor exposure to secondhand smoke is any more harmful that a host of other environmental toxins, like exhaust from an automobile?

It is your prerogative to prohibit your children from riding in a car with your chain-smoking mother. What's the problem?

Would you be for a law that bans smoking in a house with children? What about a screened-in front porch? What about pregnant women? How far would you go to protect someone else's children? Should the children be placed in state custody?

Are you talking about when you're in a smoker's house? Or a public place? Would you be in favor of a repeal on the indoor smoking ban for certain bars, so that the smoke can be contained?

So you want them never to be inside, only outside, but not just outside, around the corner. How far away would make you happy?

Do you think honestly think you will become ill if you are briefly exposed to secondhand smoke outside every now and then? What about smoke from fireplaces? Car exhaust? Fumes from bleach and various detergents?
That is really silly to talk about cars or fireplaces or bleach. Those things are NEEDED. We use them cause we have to.

People don't HAVE to smoke. They choose to.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
That is really silly to talk about cars or fireplaces or bleach. Those things are NEEDED. We use them cause we have to.

Bleach is outlawed in Germany.

People chose to do lots of things that are bad for them. Where does the intrusion end?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Do you REALLY think parents that beat their children should have their children taken away? why? Isn't that an overreach of govt? Aren't they THEIR children? They gave birth to them. They have the right to do what they want.
I'm glad I wasn't taken away from my parents.

This is where you have to consider what the impact would be on CPS systems and how damaging it would be to the family unit. And, of course, where does this government intrusion end? Which bad parenting behavior will be the next target? When will they go after pregnant women who smoke? This is a dark road to go down.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I find your questions to my response petty. Do I think that parents should have their children taken away, no, perhaps not taken away. However, those parents should wake up, maybe a visit from DHS would be required. I think if you are a smoker you should just use common sense and then laws like this wouldn't have to be passed.

My mother did not respect my wishes. At all. So I had to take matters into my own hands. Not let them go into her bedroom, where she smokes, thinking it doesnt go through the whole house. She would get pissed off that I would bring it up or say something. This, in my experience, is what most smokers do. Get completely offended when you just try and speak to them about it. Most, again in my experience, aren't rational. I don't know if you are a smoker, sure seems like you are because you act just like all the smokers I know act when confronted. Again, i am assuming.

I am not contending anything, you are not a doctor, nor am I. Everyone's bodies react differently. Some people smoke 40 years and never get a lung disease and some people whom have never smoked, they lived with a smoker die from Lung Cancer from second-hand smoke. Do I want to take that risk just because you do? Should parents? That is what it boils down to. The risk!! It is COMMON SENSE!! You all are offended because it is inconvenient for you to remove yourself from others. Gee, I am sorry you might have to go out of your way to respect other people. You can stop!

This is my point to sum it up quite easily for you, so there is no confusion on the matter. YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER SMOKE AROUND A CHILD AT ALL! EVER! House, car, screened porch, unless you are in a wide open space quite a safe distance away and downwind, maybe. That is it. Remove yourself from the others because it is your choice to kill yourself. There are many bans here for bars. I don't and never did frequent bars for that very reason and that I really don't find them appealing, i have better things to do than to get drunk and be an idiot. I am thankful for the ban. So, absolutely if it is a restaurant or bar, smokers should have to go outside at least 25 feet I think 50-75 feet away would be better, away from the establishment.

If you are out in a park, at a ball field, somewhere in a more open place and there is not a ban, which I think there should be. If there is not you should walk away from all people and have some darn respect for others! That is my point. If smokers did that, then maybe us non-smokers wouldn't have to go to drastic measures or be so hateful about forcing people to respect our breathing space!

I will not even dignify and answer on bleach and household cleaners, again it is common sense, use the brain God gave you! And if you aren't a believer, that is the lump of grey matter between your ears and 3' or so above your glutius maximus!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Exactly. My questions is why can they not just have respect for others, including their own children? I think thinking rationally is not a prerequisite for being a smoker.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:16 PM

In various cities around the country, there are smoking bans on:
workplaces
public buildings
private businesses
public parks
stadiums
in your own car if you're carrying children
in your own home if you live with children
in your own home if shared walls/multi-family

soon to come:
in your own car or home if you have pets
sidewalks
everywhere
e-cigs, everywhere

Here's what I propose. Repeal the ban on smoking in bars and let the bar owner chose whether or not to allow smoking. This way you can keep the smoke contained in a small area, thus protecting public safety. (If it's a workplace safety issue for bar staff, the employees would have to sign an affidavit stating that they smoke or are smoke-tolerant.)

Most bars would stay non-smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont