Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,143,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Steel Valley is just west of Pittsburgh, PA along the Ohio River. Very Bad pollution from the steel mills, plus decay and the feeling of isolation make it a very depressing place IMO. Hard for me to relate with the people living there too.
We had some clients from that area who were in Rutland for a convention. They were very nice people but they kept raving about how gorgeous and cheerful Rutland is. Now, I like it here just fine, but it ain't called RutVegas for nothing. Then they described the place the called "home" and I realized once again how very, very lucky I am to be here.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,510,559 times
It's amazing how divided New York is as a state.

I am, pretty much, a life-long resident of NYC, which, on paper at least, is part of New York State, and all this information about CNY, the Southern Tier, etc. is totally new to me. I had never even heard of the Southern Tier, I don't think, until I read about it on this thread.

Amazing. I've heard of the split between upstate and downstate, but now I really feel it.

I guess New York City - and, to a lesser extent, the "tri-state" area comprising NYC, northern New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut - is its own world.

Last edited by arel; 12-25-2007 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 AM

74 posts, read 348,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
We had some clients from that area who were in Rutland for a convention. They were very nice people but they kept raving about how gorgeous and cheerful Rutland is. Now, I like it here just fine, but it ain't called RutVegas for nothing. Then they described the place the called "home" and I realized once again how very, very lucky I am to be here.
Hi,

I saw that you live in Rutland, and would VERY MUCH appreciate ANY thoughts and/or advice that you wouldn't mind giving me about it. I currently live in NYC, but am looking to move end of next summer when my current contract ends (I'm a speech-language pathologist working with young children and love what I do and even like where I work mostly, but simply feel I'm "done" with NYC and ready for big change in lifestyle). I have been seriously considering re-locating to Burlington, and have been there twice to visit and get to know the area a bit, including saw South Burlington and Winooski for a short time each. I did love the area, and felt comfortable for the most part there and with the people I met. However, and I know how strange this will sound to many people, it just didn't "feel right" for some reason I can't explain - in other words, I just couldn't see myself living there, but I have no concrete reason to give even myself why I felt that way both times. I actually WISH it did "feel right" b/c re-locating is such a huge decision and it is such an overwhelming task trying to find where you want to live, I want this search to be over already. I thought Burlington was it, but now I have my doubts...

The first time I went to Burlington, I actually stayed in Rutland and traveled for day visits from there (spent full days and evenings in Burlington, driving the 1 1/2 hour drive each day from Rutland). I also had first spent a day in Brattleboro, just to see that, too, so drove the long way from NYC to Rutland. I didn't see all that much of Rutland, and walked a bit in what I think was actually West Rutland. Everyone was as nice and friendly as could be - it was such a great change from NYC!! I also stayed in the greatest place with my dog - anyone want the best recommendation of where to stay with your dog in Vermont, I HIGHLY recommend The Paws Inn in West Rutland (I will be more than happy to give anyone more info. on them). Maybe that is why I can't get Rutland out of my head - because of how nice everyone there, and all I met in the area, were. Also, from all my researching both while there and mostly online about cost of living - Burlington is not inexpensive at all, and Rutland MUCH more reasonable. I can't go anywhere without a job, and will only move with a job lined up first, but feel strongly about FIRST finding where I want to live, and then letting where I get a job dictate the specific neighborhood perhaps (I would never commute from Burlington to Rutland after driving it roundtrip already enough times!!). Also, the whole point in moving is to live where I will be happier with the lifestyle, etc. and to live cheaper (can't make dents in my debts from graduate school and then ex-husband who enormously increaed my debts). I am 40, single (divorced, really), and LOVE the outdoors, especially hiking with my dog and jogging (a bit) early in the mornings before work (with my dog), and being near mountains is becoming more and more important to me (as I escape to them for hiking whenever I can on weekends now). I am more than ready to leave a city, I feel certain about that.

I have heard many people refer to Rutland as "Rut Vegas," even someone I met in Burlington, so that concerns me. I am not into the bar scene anymore, but am single and have to consider that (being too rural or secluded will feel too isolated for me right now, esp. coming from NYC). No children, so that is not a consideration for where I live (but it MUST be very dog friendly!!). Although I would love someone to give me the answers I know I have to make this difficult decision for myself, of course, but it would be very helpful to get any opinions, thoughts, etc. about Rutland vs. Burlington (or any other areas, even) for a single, 40-year-old female with a dog who needs to live closer to mountains and wants much cheaper cost of living.

I am grateful and very appreciative of any responses at all. Thank you!

Last edited by girlandpup; 12-27-2007 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,292,477 times
girlandpup - I just want to throw out a word of caution - housing may seem cheaper here than NY, but our salaries here have not kept up with housing cost. So.....unless you can find a good high paying job, it may not be that easy to get ahead here.
I'll let others with more intimate knowledge on Rutland repsond to your specific questions. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:10 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,143,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I guess New York City - and, to a lesser extent, the "tri-state" area comprising NYC, northern New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut - is its own world.
This is a familiar discussion. I grew up in Miami Beach. Anything north of Ft. Lauderdale (and now Palm Beach) was the vast unknown. And yet the capital is Tallahassee, which is about as relevant to SFla as Mars.

I remember summers at camp (in New England, of course) people would ask me, "If you're from Florida, where's your southern accent?" ?!?!?! Lovely as they are to listen to, I didn't even know anyone with southern accent, unless we're talking about accents from South America.

My Miami-born-and-bred family and I are told that we sound like New Yorkers. So actually, Girlandpup, you and I may be closer to being cultural "cousins" than many others from the states we hail from.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 AM

74 posts, read 348,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
girlandpup - I just want to throw out a word of caution - housing may seem cheaper here than NY, but our salaries here have not kept up with housing cost. So.....unless you can find a good high paying job, it may not be that easy to get ahead here.
I'll let others with more intimate knowledge on Rutland repsond to your specific questions. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you, vter. I have been doing my best to get salary info., but it's hard to get the true facts from research, even from the site specific to my field. I will find out more once I am able to start applying for jobs (still too early since I can't move until end of August). I have heard several others say that many parts of Vermont do not have salaries keeping up with the rising cost of living, so will have to see how it goes for me. It just seemed that Burlington (and even the closest surrounding areas) is getting more expensive now, so that it may not mean any savings for me even leaving NYC (since I expect a significant salary decrease there). Thanks, again!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:12 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,553,539 times
Is Onenonta (spelling ??) In the SOuthern Tier????

Old 12-27-2007, 09:59 PM

130 posts, read 173,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlandpup View Post
Hi,

I saw that you live in Rutland, I am grateful and very appreciative of any responses at all. Thank you!
You need to post this seperately...You'll get more respones... You have a lot of questions, and I suggest you pot this as a seperate thread...the people you need to connecte with will FIND you.

Peace and Justce,
~Ham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont