Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:01 AM

130 posts, read 173,209 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Vt...lived 20 years or so there, moved to the west coast and the (shudder) to the CNY region...

Here's what I didn't know is so different in the regions...

1. These people have no sense of humour. Zero. Zip. Nada. Try finding a funny greeting card OR do some Vt, humor "on" them (Francis Colburn style, "Damn Yankee" records)...whoa. way uptight. (ok, the West Coast comes out a little in me...but dear LORD, the West Coast loves Vt. humor!)

2. They cannot understand mountains. Everyone seems to think flatlands are the greatest place on the face of the earth (I CANNOT FIND MY BEARINGS AND YES...IT'S TRUE...Flatlanders ARE what we were told they are... (ok, those of you who know understand this...)

3. They do stupid things, like inadvertently point their hunting rifles in my direction. I had to tell a 40 year old man "If you point that thing in my direction, I expect you'll be trying to kill me, and I'll respond...". Even "hunters" here have NO CLUE about common hunter courtesy (ie, stuff that from DAY ONE was ground into us!)

4. The rural people are REALLY weird--Confederate flags everywhere..

Am I totally wrong here? Does all this stuff go on in Vt. as well, and somehow I just forgot?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
Where exactly do you live in CNY? And if you don't like it, why don't you move? Could you relocate to VT if you wanted to? It's not that far away from CNY.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:58 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Plus, the gun laws are terrible in NY and great in VT.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:15 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
If you're going to get weather that is akin to VT's, you may as well have the Vermonters too. But seriously - How long have you been away?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
I guess you didnt live in or around Rutland.
All the stuff you mention, Confederate flags, etc
are a requirement to live there, it appeared to me.

The grass isnt always greener.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post

Wow! Do you live in Rutland or have you lived here recently?

While it's definitely no Brattleboro or Burlington, my experiences of Rutland in 11 years of living here do not include widespread use of Confederate flags and other evidence extreme yahoo-ism. Sure, there are a few pockets of that kind of thing, but Brat & Burlington have those, too.

My husband and I have built a small business in this community by interacting with members of the general community, as well as business and local/regional leaders. Now I do community organizing work for nonprofits and, once again, Rutlanders have come through with open minds and generous hearts.

In Rutland, I can order vegan at several restaurants in town; the servers know what I mean and go out of their way to get me what I want. We have 2 natural food stores, a year-round farmers market, and a strong local/organic food movement. We have two independent bookstores and a great little Humane Society that cares.

Nowhere is perfect, but in no way does Rutland remind me of the description of Central New York that appeared here.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 12-22-2007 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-22-2007, 08:14 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post

The grass isnt always greener.
Why do you post this stuff? If you didn't like it fine, but I've been to Rutland many times and have never seen a confederate flag. I might not choose Rutland, but every state has towns like Rutland. It's a decent place. If you didn't have enough money to live in an area you liked, you shouldn't have moved here in the first place.

You really have to move on. It's a little bizarre.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:21 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Many years ago, I considered going to college at Syracuse and shyed away because of stuff like this. Interestingly, in the south, you'll probably find fewer confederate flags than there. Bringing it back to Vermont, I just was listening to two of the Francis Colburn records from the 1970s. They weren't quite as good as I remembered their being at the time, but I may have had a beer or two when first listening to them. I hadn't thought people were still listening to him. Peedeling backwards in time, Harry.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:56 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
You live in Tully, NY!!! That is NOT Syracuse. NOT even Syracuse's suburbs. Tully is rural farmland, 30 minutes south of Syracuse. It is almost the Southern Tier of NYS. And the Southern Tier happens to be one of the most depressing places in the country IMO. All of Appalachia is depressing to me. Ever live in the mountains of West Virginia? Even worse than the Southern Tier of NYS!!! Go try living in "Steel Valley" and then tell me how bad the Southern Tier of NYS is.... [/quote]

Hello to the above poster, I read you post and can I ask a few questions? What is the southern Tier of NY, what towns?? I live near Plattsburgh and find this appalachia!! I am moving so not really complaining but I have seen appalachia with my own eyes and was quite shocked. Altoona, Champlain, to name a few. Where is Steel Valley?? Thanks Marilyn

Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Why do you post this stuff? If you didn't like it fine, but I've been to Rutland many times and have never seen a confederate flag. I might not choose Rutland, but every state has towns like Rutland. It's a decent place. If you didn't have enough money to live in an area you liked, you shouldn't have moved here in the first place.

You really have to move on. It's a little bizarre.
Yup, KoZmiC NinJa has been posting his I hate Rutland mantra often and I guess he also hates where he is living now. One definate trend I have noticed is that most of the things he hates and others like him, really do not exist.

As I have posted before my wife was born and raised there, I grew up about 35 miles away and I can say that there are alot of awesome things going on in Rutland. I am looking forward to checking out the newly renovated Strand Theater they are now using for the winter Farmers Market next time I am down there.

KN, I get the feeling your young and you have to move wherever your family moves so I can understand why your not happy about where you live. You have mentioned several times that Burlington might have been a place you could get into.

I hope your able to live somewhere you like in the near future. Doing so is a goal everyone wants in our culture but not so many are able to achieve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont