Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,189 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering a job transfer to Newport and I have some questions and concerns. Let me give you some background first. I'm Hispanic and my wife is Caucasian, we have three kids (ages 5,14,16). We have only lived in Florida and south Arizona and don't have any experience living in a place where it snows. We are very reserved people to the point where we just meet our next door neighbor and we been living in this house over a year. So, here are my concerns and questions.

I have read the people in Vermont can be a little racial and don't like outsiders too much, which is not an issue for me but I'm concern for my kids in school specially the two in high school. I read the schools are good but there is a lot of bullying.

My other concern is winter. I read they are long, cold, and lots of snow. This is something we have never experienced. The most snow we have ever dealt with is a couple of inches and is mostly gone by the next day. What do I need to prepare for this besides heavy jackets and long johns? What I need to prepare the vehicles (tire chain, winter tires)? Should I trade my car and mini van for a SUV or truck?

I read the houses use heating oil, pellet ovens or gas. How they work? What's better or more convenient to use or cheaper?

Any advise, suggestions, or comments are welcome. Thanks you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 06:47 PM

46 posts, read 63,614 times
Where are you moving from?

Newport could be boring for your kids (and for you as well).

Winter can be very bad in Vermont; they will be specially rough in Newport.

You will need to learn how to drive in snow deeper than a few inches if the roads haven't been plowed yet.

It can get very cold; last winter we had -22 degrees Fahrenheit.

Get a good reliable car or truck and maintain it well during the winter months; you may want to get studded tires for the best grip (think about family safety). 4x4 or all-wheel-drive is highly recommended.

Taxes are high here in Vermont; home prices are too.

Think about it very well and talk to your wife and kids about it; it's going to be a big change.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,189 times
Moving from Tucson, AZ. The homes and taxes are higher but not by much for what I have seen. We don't go out much. We don't need big malls or a great night life scene. Simple life is what we like. As long as, there are stores where we can get our everyday thing we be fine. Winters are my biggest concern.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:28 PM

46 posts, read 63,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havialex View Post
Moving from Tucson, AZ. The homes and taxes are higher but not by much for what I have seen. We don't go out much. We don't need big malls or a great night life scene. Simple life is what we like. As long as, there are stores where we can get our everyday thing we be fine. Winters are my biggest concern.
Winters will be rough; heed the advice I told you above. Think of heating bills (better get natural gas in the house for heating; bills will be lower than propane, etc.).

You will have to learn to drive on snow and sometimes ice; if you have to commute, it will take time to get used to.

If I were you, I would stay where it's warm, but you may have your reasons. The reality is that the winter will be tough and be ready to not have much sunlight during the winter months.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:40 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,164 times
I could be wrong but I can't imagine you're going to get natural gas in Newport. We don't have natural gas pipelines around here like in other states. Propane, oil and wood are your primary heating fuels. And none of it is cheap. You will need to prepare for a big chunk of your budget to go towards heating.

Going from Arizona to VT is huge enough, but going to Newport is going to be a big change. You're looking to moving to the northernmost part of the state - where the winters are longest! It's also the least populated part of the state.

Is it possible for you to visit during winter?

Old 12-24-2014, 04:32 PM

168 posts, read 285,515 times
Default But it's a dry heat

Quote:
We should talk. We lived in New England; then lived in the West for 15 years, including 5 in Phoenix; then moved back to Vermont. And now we're in California, because we had a lot of trouble adjusting to (i) the weather, and (ii) the surprisingly high cost of living. I'm not knocking Vermont - readers of other threads will know we still own property there, and dream of moving back some day - *when we're better prepared*. But you need to know what you're getting into.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:25 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,057 times
Wife and I born and grew up in Vt. Lived in the NEK for 6 years. Been to Newport a number of times. As far as Vermonters being "racial" and not liking outsiders, the two are two different issues. Not liking outsiders is more because too many have moved to Vermont and instead of accepting it for what it is/being content, have tried to change it to suit their particular (city) needs. As far as racial, I am thinking you mean "prejudice" and yes there are Vermonters that are that way. There are also transplants that have moved up and are that way as well, (have run in to a number of them whilst living in and around Vermont). My advice, be friendly, be yourself, don't come on as "in-your-face" and they will probably warm up to you. If not, screw them.

Newport was recently listed as one of THE coldest cities (yes it is a city, what determines a city in Vermont is not its size but what form of government its citizens choose) in the United States. Snow tires, YES, unless you plan on walking everywhere during winter. Newport and the NEK get a lot of snow AND cold weather (below zero) and the city is situated on a number of hills.

As far as heating your home, that's a personal preference. To me it depends on the size, how well insulated and type of heating system it already has. I would NOT use electricity as a primary heat source (unless you are talking a small quartz heater), that can be quite expensive in VT. Fuel oil isn't bad now, not to say it won't be a year from now. Stay away from outdoor oil tanks, they require K-100, an oil/kerosene mix that keeps them from gelling in cold weather and K-100 is considerably more expensive than regular fuel oil. Some heat with propane. There are no, to my knowledge, natural gas lines in VT. Pellet stoves and wood stoves are both good. Pellets you have to purchase (average about $5.00 a 40lb bag) wood you can just chop (if you have a wood lot) or buy from a supplier. Don't know what the price per cord is right now. Pellets burn cleaner and I believe hotter.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:32 PM

35 posts, read 42,766 times
Good advice from everyone here to the OP. My advice would be to stay where you are. The winters have to be experienced to be believed, and that's an experience you really don't want! Plus, as a bonus to the lousy weather, you get high taxes and high cost of living. I moved here 20+ years ago to follow a job. All I wanted to do was make a quiet life for me, my wife, and children ,and not to change anything here. But, when some native Vermonters found out that I was from New York State, I was hounded as a "flatlander". This was one of my first impressions of Vt. And you know what they say about
first impressions. I'll be retiring in the near future, and that future does not include Vermont, or anywhere else in the Northeast for that matter.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:53 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,190,890 times
Quote:
First off, come visit.....mid Jan-mid Feb would be good. If you can like this area at it's worst, then everything else is a piece of cake. I would not say this area is that racist and North Country High School is indeed better than others locally. As with all schools, there is a bigger crackdown on bullying as of late. Keep your kids away from the "bored" kids who are into drugs. Get them involved with outdoor activities in all seasons.

Your winter driving needs are basically studded snow tires on any front wheel drive vehicle and slow down. Most folks get a false sense of security with "AWD" and fail to slow down. If you're living rural or with a steep drive get awd. I have yet to "not" go anywhere due to any snow/ice and I work nights and many mornings make first tracks before the plows. It might take me twice as long to make a trip, but I ALWAYS make it and that is with a Kia Soul. It's light so 2 bags of sand and I pass many people who can't make it in storms.

Housing costs in the NEK are less than other parts of the state, but indeed taxes and heat are a main budget item. Luckily you don't have a/c costs for the other months. Coming from Houston, taxes are the same and heating/cooling costs are less here annually. Nice to have 2 forms of heat just in case of power outages....don't want those pipes to freeze!

I thoroughly enjoy living here (15 miles from Newport) and don't regret a day in the last 11 years. Since I'm happy where I am the cold doesn't bother me and have acclimated to shoveling snow in shorts at zero. We all still find it hilarious to open a door and have snow halfway up. But, snow means warmer if you can understand that. I basically stick to myself but get along with everyone. Same work ethic and just blend in. All friends/family still in Texas but there are phones and internet and everyone loves to visit VT, so hard to keep an empty guest room. Good luck in your decision and this is a great site to get opinions from all sides

Old 03-27-2017, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,942 times
Good Day!
I have moved from Cali. to VT over fifteen years ago, now living in Newport- the place where my two children were born. This is a nice place, probably considered a tourist area more and more, we have a farmer's market during the year when it's warm. Farming is big here, crafting, maple syrup, organic farms, and the school systems. Newport school would not discriminate against you or your family, it's your choice to provide the information about your ethnicity or nationality- it's not that important, although, locals might "have something to say," but chances are you won't get the wrath of discrimination not often to never. Canadians are here often, then the New Englanders, besides some who come maybe FL.
Winters are long, freezing cold at many times, heat can be expensive depending on fuel prices that year- there is an option to pay ahead the year before, and lock in the fuel price with the fuel dealer for the next years winter. Schools will not run busses if they can't trust the roads, everything else is expected to be open in Newport, and the surrounding areas. Derby, is not far from Newport, closer to Canada, and it is quieter there than Newport, or Derby Line, Newport has high levels of state aid recipients, and buildings are not replaced yet after being torn down a couple years ago if you are renting, houses are more readily available then renting in Newport, possibilities to rent to own a home available.
Let me know if I can further help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont