Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 18,656 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving from Fraser CO to Woodstock VT. She has a job lined up and really want to move, yet I have always enjoyed living in the west and am a bit weary. I'm an electrician, experienced in residential new construction primarily, which is booming here in Fraser. I have heard electricians don't make nearly as much $$ in Vermont. Am I going to find to hard to land a job? Why have I met so many people from Vermont here in Colorado?... granted the skiing is better, but what else is better here?

We are both avid mountain bikers too. How do the trials around Woodstock compare to those here in CO?

Any other insites would be appreciated! thanks,
dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 AM

104 posts, read 491,579 times
You may be right about salaires but anyone working in construction is always busy. I know I always have trouble getting someone as they are busy at ski resorts, etc.

Mountain biking is great in the Northeast kingdom (over one hour away): kingdomtrails.org which is the best in the east. There is another center that is pretty good in the Barre area (less than 1 hour away): millstonehill.com .

Have you been on vacation here? have you visited Woodstock? I think it's important to take time to learn about an area and visit the place. It may be hard for someone in the west to come live in the east. The same goes both ways, I wouldn't be able to live out west, even though it's beautiful too. Different place for different folks.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times
When we first started researching places to live, Colorado was one of the places at the top of our list. We have friends who've moved there and love it...coming from NYC, the cost of living in Colorado seemed laughable - at least when it came to property taxes and housing costs...obviously outdoor recreation is a huge asset to the state as well...VT cost of living, at least in our observations, is much higher than CO, and almost comparable to NYC in many ways...the job market is much smaller (though I think in construction you will have many more options) as well...

I'm sure people move to CO from VT for many reasons, skiing may be part of it, but I'm sure the cost of living plays a much larger part.

I would definitely second the recommendation that you guys come out here and spend some time in the area...Vermont, as beautiful as it is, is not some fairy tale postcard place to live, as so many have found out. It definitely has its positives though, so do some research and visit so you can make an informed decision.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
I'm familar with Fraser, that can be one cold little burg....

As we all know due to the huge housing downturn in new construction in some areas of the country, people in the trades are having trouble finding work. It seems just calling a few contractors in the Woodstock area would give you a better answer to that question.

Vermont and the rest of New England is not experiencing the big downturn but that's because it's the areas that have boomed in the last 5/10 years that are now suffering the most.

The state of Vermont has a couple of excellent job websites which can also give you some insight as to the job outlook in your trade is.

Woodstock is an old money upscale tourist town, for the most part, but you can live nearby where the costs are less.

One definate diference which you will immediately find out is that to get from one town to another is alot short than out west. I lived in Wyoming for 23 years where most towns are 100 miles apart so it took some getting used to. Also most of the power lines are on poles here whereas most of the west you don't have them.

As we always say with questions like yours, the best way is to come back east for a visit and see for yourself.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:02 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
I would Do as MRV stated and contact electricians in the area. My exwifes husband is an electrician up in Barre(about 45 min North of Woodstock). He is starting to have issues getting work now(the housing market is going into a downturn). He still finds jobs, but they are not as plentiful as they were a year ago. It could be different in the Woodstock area. You will without a doubt make less money in Vermont. My best freind from high school is an elecrician out in Boulder. He was thinking of moving to Vermont, but the deal breaker was the income. Evertthing else was a good fit for him.
I think you would love the mountain biking here. There are plenty of places to ride all over the state.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
New residential construction has dropped off quite a bit and commercial construction here in Vt is pretty limited. Two guys I work with are electricians, but due to excessive commuting and low pay they are not in the field. Check with some outfits and inquire what prospects may be as you may have the skills and experience that could meet an immediate need. Don't rule out NH as my in-laws are all involved in construction, though in the Manchester and Nashua area, and even though residential has dropped there as well, commercial work and projects are still moving along at a decent clip as they are not bogged down with all kinds of restrictions and permitting as we are here.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I live near Woodstock and it's very touristy. I am also on the tourist road so it's a bit wearying. The traffic constantly flowing unless you live off the main roads. I've been to Woodstock 2 times and just find it jammed up.

The thing I find with 'this area' is you must drive more than I am used to to get to the regular supermarket. Woodstock has a market but I am not sure how 'expensive' it is compared to say, the ones on the main shopping road in W. Lebanon.

If you want to own a house, I am sure you will find something in the area. I am about 10-15 drive to Woodstock, maybe more or less with the traffic. You can consider Pomfret...I don't know much about it but it seemed like a friendly place and perhaps you might google it for more info.

If you want to know more, you can pm me or just ask.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 18,656 times
Thanks so much to everyone replies... they really have been helpful... I do plan to visit perhaps in March to get a feel for the area and see if I will be able to live out there... as far as cost of living, the main difference I can see is the prop. tax. Yikes it is high! I suppose this is what keeps the development down? Fraser is not a cheep place to live, but that is due to grocery prices and a general lack of affordable housing... it is really a second home market. there will always be rich people who want a second home at a ski area in CO and the development shows it...

dave

Old 01-10-2008, 12:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Prop taxes vary quite abit from town to town so as we have mentioned you could live nearby(within 20 min) and the prop taxes could be alot lower. Also, for Vermont residents there is a prop tax ceiling based on income which can lower the burden as well.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM

12 posts, read 43,193 times
My husband is a master electrician and he works out of the Lebanon NH area. There never seems to be a shortage of jobs but the pay can vary a lot depending on the company. Pay in the upper teens tends to be the average rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont